Learn From My Stupidity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learn From My Stupidity

Yesterday I was merrily cutting aluminum angle on the chop saw, a job I've done many times before. I needed a couple more cuts and decided to cut down from the corner of the angle. This was a VERY bad idea! The next thing I know ME is driving me to the emergency doc and then to the ER for stitches. Seems that the emergency doc won't sew up a finger if there is bone damage.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0208.jpeg
Views:	168
Size:	1,013.9 KB
ID:	1274578

See the little bits of bone floating around in there?

And around midnight (the ER was crazy busy):

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0209.jpeg
Views:	157
Size:	917.0 KB
ID:	1274579 As I waited - and waited - and waited.....I figured out what happened. Cutting down from the corner meant that the aluminum was getting weaker and once it was weak enough it collapsed thereby binding the work in the blade which threw the aluminum into the fence and back at me. So this was blunt force trauma inflicted by a high velocity hunk of aluminum.

Bottom line - DON'T DO THIS. I'll be out of commission for a while but all will be OK in the end. A bit painful but no significant lasting damage.

Dan

Bummer, get well soon!
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

Comment

ouch.
      glad its at the end, not somewhere in the middle

the bone damage and blood, that applies to internal injuries too.
      I sat around with a mutilated foot as big as a soccer ball.. blood moving in crazy ways inside..could not do anything but check colors.
      if nothing blocks up all good.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Ouch. Dang. The worst part will be bone fragments, they don't always dissolve. Every once in a while (gets less and less with years, but still every great once in a while) I move my hand just right (wrong) and some jaggedy bone particle from when I was 18 says Hi there! Remember me?

Hope you don't have that problem, that looks like a lot of ouch. Heal up quick!
        Last edited by Beagle; July 14, 2020, 11:29 AM.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
          Bummer, get well soon!
          Thanks! I go into an ortho (bone) doc on Wednesday for a follow-up but the PA who sewed me up expects everything to be OK in the end. Surprisingly, it isn't TOO painful.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
            Ouch. Dang. The worst part will be bone fragments, they don't always dissolve. Every once in a while (gets less and less with years, but still every great once in a while) I move my hand just right (wrong) and some jaggedy bone particle from when I was 18 says Hi there! Remember me?

Hope you don't have that problem, that looks like a lot of ouch. Heal up quick!
            The PA says that they can do more damage than good by digging out the bone bits so they leave them. I guess there's a danger of nerve damage which would NOT be a good thing.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
              a job I've done many times before.
              Dan
              In the paper mill "ER," that's said about 99% of the time when starting the interview about what happened.

Glad you got patched Dan! The upside is that now you have a fully deployed bird finger for a while.
              Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

The PA says that they can do more damage than good by digging out the bone bits so they leave them. I guess there's a danger of nerve damage which would NOT be a good thing.

Dan
                sounds familiar. I agree with them, it's better to have the bone fragment tell you to "back off" than to not feel your fingertip!!! Father time has already been ugly to my sense of touch, I wouldn't want help from the good doctors.
                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I broke my middle finger once and caught a lot of teasing, but then I was in the 8th grade. All joking aside, take care and don't push things to much or to soon.
                  Take care, Joe

Comment

at least now people will hear you when you comment on their traffic skills.
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Looks alot like ( in the bandage )my oldest sons fingers the night I gave him a table saw . I felt terrible.... he felt grateful . Not for the saw but that it only took the skin off the tips of two fingers . Glad you'll heal up as good as new or close to it .
                      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

YEOWAAA !!!!!
                        Hope you are not left handed. My
                        scars have better stories than the tattoos
                        I have !!
                        Get Better at Poor Decisions,
                        ​​​​​​Get Well
                        ​​

Comment

Speakin from similar experience(s)... I found it best to sleep on my side with my hand/forearm vertical against the headboard....reduces the throbbing! get well soon!
                          I have tried to amputate 4 fingers, and have partially amputated left thumb...
                          Patrick & Tammy
                          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

You'll never play piano again
                            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                              You'll never play piano again
                              Never did - that's ME's job and she does it well. The docs say I'll be good as new - eventually.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X