1320video's turbo turd fairmont

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1320video's turbo turd fairmont

what did the fairmont have for a fuel pump in it?

and i saw them putting 118 octane in it.

can you run it on pump gas?

Comment

if you turn the screw back on the wastegate ........

Comment

Originally posted by 1988montecarloss

I think it has an A1000? whatever the cheapest pump and regulator was that supports 900hp.

it ran on pump gas (all of drag week), 110, 114, c16, 118, e85, and I think they ran straight methanol at some point.

The fastest passes obviously used the better gas, not because it makes more power but because it's safer to push stock junk with better race gas. The megasquirt allows them to make simple tunes for each different fuel, without having to go back and pay money for someone to change your stock PCM tune.

www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek

I think it has an A1000? whatever the cheapest pump and regulator was that supports 900hp.

it ran on pump gas (all of drag week), 110, 114, c16, 118, e85, and I think they ran straight methanol at some point.

The fastest passes obviously used the better gas, not because it makes more power but because it's safer to push stock junk with better race gas. The megasquirt allows them to make simple tunes for each different fuel, without having to go back and pay money for someone to change your stock PCM tune.

how much boost did they run on pump gas?

Comment

that fairmont is an excellent role model for your monte - mr 88

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
              if you turn the screw back on the wastegate ........
              ;D

DG this is my latest question in case you missed it :
              how much boost did they run on pump gas?

Comment

"how much boost on pump gas" isn't really a sensible question. Depending on your turbo, how well your plumbing and intercooler work, the cam/heads/etc. and your tuneup - that number is going to vary a lot. as you get into turbocharging you'll find out that "boost" is an arbitrary number. Some guys are making 1200hp on 12psi, others make 400 on 35psi. The number you want to think about is mass airflow. But you can read all about that on the turboforums...

anyways, they were able to safely run high 10s, low 11s all day long on pump gas.

-Scott
                www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

"boost" is an arbitrary number.
                  i know. ;)

i was just wondering what the fairmont was running because i want to put the same exact setup in my car.

also, i found a set of 1998 LS1 heads for $50. do you know how those would compare to the stock 5.3 heads?

Comment

this is the turbo that was on the fairmont, right?

i just want to make sure before i buy it

Comment

IIRC Parish on another forum said that turbo was about at its limits. One of these S400's might give you a little more room to grow. I need to sell the turbo I got and buy one of these :D

Comment

Originally posted by Memphis
                        IIRC Parish on another forum said that turbo was about at its limits. One of these S400's might give you a little more room to grow. I need to sell the turbo I got and buy one of these :D
                        Be careful going with a much bigger turbo on a street car. Makes it slower and less fun to drive. The little turbo they had on the Fairmont put the car in the 9.40s on a hot nasty day in Kansas City (where the D.A. is 2500' +). It's a good setup for the 5.3.

Comment

Be careful going with a much bigger turbo on a street car. Makes it slower and less fun to drive. The little turbo they had on the Fairmont put the car in the 9.40s on a hot nasty day in Kansas City (where the D.A. is 2500' +). It's a good setup for the 5.3.
                          9.40's is definitely enough for me. i just wanted to make sure it was the right one before i laid down $500-600 for it :D

Comment

9.40's is definitely enough for me. i just wanted to make sure it was the right one before i laid down $500-600 for it :D
                            on top of the 500 or 600 bux, I'd spend a hundred having it balanced somewhere locally. Or, spend a little more on a better turbo... just a thought if you are looking for maximum reliability.

Comment

on top of the 500 or 600 bux, I'd spend a hundred having it balanced somewhere locally. Or, spend a little more on a better turbo... just a thought if you are looking for maximum reliability.
                              if i can find a place that does it i will. ;)

Comment

9.99 is a cage , chassis certification , competition license , firesuit and parachute @150 mph

Comment

Working...
                                X