On The Road, Again..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On The Road, Again..

I posted a while back about a promotion I got at work. They moved me into another dept to learn Allen Bradley ControlLogix programming. Well, I got promoted again. I'm a Field Service Engineer now, my pay went up quite a bit, and I have to travel a lot more. I didn't get to go to AK Steel in Mansfield by STINEY's place, but I did get to go to Worthington Ind in Delta OH. We did a galvanizing line upgrade which is where I'm at now. I knocked out the I/O cabinets in 2 days, upgraded from 1771 PLC5 to ControlLogix 1756. We started testing inputs/outputs yesterday, and today they ran a start up roll. After this I go to Chicago and help with a pickle line upgrade.

I had some reservations about going on the road, but so far it's not too bad. The best part is when they fire up the line you upgraded and make product. It's a good feeling seeing your hard work at work, a feeling of accomplishment. I'm gonna take the money while I can and learn as much as I can doin it...

Happy for you - and I'm glad to be out of the workforce. Don't miss it a bit!

Dan

Comment

"Like a band of gypsies we go down the highway" sung to the tune of "On the Road Again" -- congrats on the promo but enjoying the job is a bonus for sure.
      Phil / Omaha

Comment

Congratulations on the bump! It always was the victories that made working worth it. I miss the wins. Everything else (well, except the check), not so much. Travel would not be high on my list right now, but I never did like it. You should get hazard pay for that. Stay safe.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

It just gets better and better. Great news!
          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Great news from a great guy! You deserve it!

Comment

Congratulations! I used to get that same feeling when the customer smiled during the first operation of the system... Spent 25 yrs on airplanes too... The first few years were great. Livin' the life of the 1%'ers...Hope they put you in nice hotels! If you ever go to AK Steel in Middletown Ohio, stop by say hi.
              Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

I started out in Delta Ohio the last week of July working on a galv line RIO upgrade (remote input/out)..
                Then I ended up in Chicago until last Friday working on a pickle line upgrade.
                Here's the entry and exit sides of the pickle line..

The uncoiler side with mandrel and hold down rolls..

Click image for larger version

Name:	ml0.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	1277742

The recoiler side, waiting for the mandrel to go in...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ml1.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	218.5 KB
ID:	1277743

The pickle line is in bad shape, pretty much everything was/is run into the ground.
                Pickle lines are very caustic, the acid fumes in the air eat everything up.
                So much so that the fumes ate away all of the op station cabinets, wiring etc.

Next week I go to an aluminum mill in Lewisport Kentucky for 2-3 weeks.

Comment

Working...
                X