Bigger Shop Space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
    Dan, Dan, Dan...the toolbox wheels need to be down to work... Kid worked in a truck shop and each shift the mechanics will have to put their boxes in lock up so next shift mechanic can use the bay.. Some were so big they moved them via forklift.. One dropped his box and took him a whole shift to just pick up his tools. Imagine "working overtime" and not getting paid.. He had to leave, so others let him go first, then he spills it.
    Only minor issues here. There are a couple of trees down in the neighborhood but it doesn't look like they hit any houses like what happened in Florence.

Dan

Comment

I like the insulation idea . I also like the idea of a hanging heater from the ceiling .
      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

We have been looking into spray foam and infrared heating.... saw it done on a garage tour winter before last....very efficient!
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
          I like the insulation idea . I also like the idea of a hanging heater from the ceiling .
          Found mine on CL. Be careful that the fire chamber (firebox maybe?) isn't cracked as that pretty much totals the heater. Mine was fine but just because I got lucky - our heat and air guy checked it our before I hung it but after I bought it.

Dan

Comment

New house 2 years ago, had a 24x30 garage built. I had them insulate it same as the house. An inexpensive 5k watt electric heater gets it too hot in an hour. So definitely add the insulation as Dan S. recommended. Wish I had thought ahead just a wee bit more and had tubing put in the floor for radiant heat.

Comment

Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
              New house 2 years ago, had a 24x30 garage built. I had them insulate it same as the house. An inexpensive 5k watt electric heater gets it too hot in an hour. So definitely add the insulation as Dan S. recommended. Wish I had thought ahead just a wee bit more and had tubing put in the floor for radiant heat.
              I thought of that here but it was pricey and I was already past my budget. Besides, AC is as important as heat here. Dave - how tall is your shop? I sure do like having the hoist. The shop here has a ton of cubic feet and it's not well insulated so the big heater blasts past those shortcomings and makes it toasty in spite.

Dan

Comment

Its got 12 foot ceiling about. Sheet and a half of drywall plus a little bit of foundation showing. Like everyone else, it could have been bigger, but I made up for it with a 12x20 storage building. Can't call it a shed, as per usual engineer or as we used to say in your AA shop "A job's not worth doing unless its worth overdoing!" Its on a screw peer foundation that is so over done, its more secure than the house. 12 piers, 2500 lbseach corner, plus 3500 lbs the other 8, connected by 6x6 beams, infilled with coarse gravel to keep the rodents out. The town engineer thought it was overkill, the building inspectors all came up to see it and said "its impressive, but overkill" the shed company said "way overkill". However, it hasn't moved one bit with load or frost heaving, and it should outlast me. But even it is filling up! oh well, maybe get another one... Don't tell Maggie I said that!

Comment

Dave, did you see I posted "how to post a pic" instructions in a post you had replied to? Can't remember which post it was.......

Dan

Comment

Working...
                  X