Derail this! (with proof)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Derail this! (with proof)

Once upon a this afternoon, there was old Maytag washer in a garage. It had been a household fixture since the late part of the nineteen hundred and seventies. Rather than just migrating to the curb like normal washers might, it found a corner in the garage where it could lay dormant for years with a "one day I'm gonna take the all metal transmission out of this for a sand muller for the green sand I'm going to use for molds" dream attached to it.

Year after year, it sat, all of it's parts becoming one with it's surroundings, and one with each other. Then, one smoldering afternoon, a resident idiot harvesting dreams found it and went about setting it free. Liberating the prized transmission from it's confines, the intrepid idiot thought, how hard could it be? He freed the tub, motor, and transmission from it's cage of sheet metal. Foolishly thinking his work to be an easy task, he suddenly found himself pitted against the evil Tub Retaining Nut. The wisest of wisemen on the whole of the internet were consulted to confront the insurmountable obstacle. "Tap it with a hammer, it's a left hand nut" they said.

The humble idiot set about tapping with increasingly larger chisels and prybars and hammers (oh my). Nearly exhausted and close to admitting utter defeat, he reached for the one tool he knew would not fail. Excalibur! The nine dollar and ninety-nine cent Hazard Fraught grinder rose from the tool box and mightily smote the now one piece nut and thread assembly! The idiot knew he was hardly through with the recovery, but having found success in defeating the largest of barriers, he retired for the evening to conditioned air, frosty beverages, a good woman, and two idiot companions (woof).

Click image for larger version

Name:	one piece zinc.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	1277122

If you choose to play Derail this! (with proof) please provide photographic evidence of your derail progress.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Nothing is more successful than success. (I think that's Shakespere (sp?) or maybe Alfred E. Newman.

Dan

Comment

Name:	newman5.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	1277130

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking" - Henry Ford

Comment

You know that those washer tubs make really nice fire pits! If you want to build a deluxe version, just weld a few legs on it and walla you now have an outside place to gather and let the bugs feast.

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
          You know that those washer tubs make really nice fire pits! If you want to build a deluxe version, just weld a few legs on it and walla you now have an outside place to gather and let the bugs feast.
          Indeed sir! That's exactly where it's heading. I'll watch a fire for hours. It's cheap therapy.

I have some stumps that need to be "more rapidly decayed" too. Since we can't burn them here, I can't claim that purpose. We can't burn, but we can have fire pits. The outside tub gets that duty, it'll get a larger hole cut in it but it's plain old non ceramic coated steel. Only has to last a few "fires in the pit" that may serve more than one purpose.

I'd derail this with a discussion of whether the squirrel cage fan from the matching clothes dryer would be a benefit, but I don't have pictures. lol. I'd have to go pull the plenum out of the growing pile for next Tuesday's pickup. For all of their silliness, this city handles bulk trash extremely well. I figure the metal guys will get it before morning though, I'm on a pretty busy street. Back in '69, it wasn't busy. Then they installed the University of Texas at Dallas here a couple of miles away, and things went downhill quick. Anyway, blower driven fires might get the attention of my local fire department. Great guys, but they stay busy enough. I'm about 2 minutes from the station so I hear how busy they are, and they don't get a lot of rest. No need for them to show up here.

I've found another 4 square feet of garage, couldn't be happier with today's errand of idiocy.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy

I bet that poster is worth some bucks these days....
            of all the crap that got saved at this place, none of my Mad collection made it. Between that and the Odd Rod stickers on my closet from right around 1970, it makes me sad... they (mom's cleaning weasels) actually threw away the closet door. Dad was pissed. I still am. Life goes on.. I'm really thankful for internet pictures though! We had a thread going here waaaay back with Odd Rod of the day, great memories.

Comment

I have a washing machine story to tell .............. My son gave me 8 $50 bills that he owed me , I put the money in my front pocket and forgot about it . That night I went to bed and left my dirty work pant lying on the floor. The next day the wife picked them up and threw them in the wash without checking the pockets . Once the wash was done she opened the door and transfered the lot to the dryer and low and behold she announced the she found $250 ! . Hey ! that's mine , there should be $400 I replied . I searched everywhere but my wife's pockets and didn't find the other $150 . A year later the washer packed it in so I wrestled it to the driveway and tore it completely apart and failed to find the balance . Not long after losing the money my wife got a new purse ..............

Comment

Oh yeah, Derail 1 - Define cheap 400 hp Vortec headed 350 SBC

Name:	0611phr_28_z-vortec_build-dyno_graph.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	1277142

Comment

Originally posted by langleylad View Post
                  I have a washing machine story to tell .............. My son gave me 8 $50 bills that he owed me , I put the money in my front pocket and forgot about it . That night I went to bed and left my dirty work pant lying on the floor. The next day the wife picked them up and threw them in the wash without checking the pockets . Once the wash was done she opened the door and transfered the lot to the dryer and low and behold she announced the she found $250 ! . Hey ! that's mine , there should be $400 I replied . I searched everywhere but my wife's pockets and didn't find the other $150 . A year later the washer packed it in so I wrestled it to the driveway and tore it completely apart and failed to find the balance . Not long after losing the money my wife got a new purse ..............
                  LMAO! Clever girl.

Comment

okay, so at 8000 it's not so cheap, but it is honest enough. These two things are frill, it would still do 400+ with an Air Gap and a 750 Holley.
                    serpentine belt drive eBay Motors 1234.95
                    SBC 350 Downdraft EFI Stack IntakeITB Black eBay Motors $2,266.00

Comment

I've been giggling like a schoolgirl since I opened the boxes this morning.....

Name:	DSCF0077 (2).JPG
Views:	164
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	1277152 We are supposed to derail this thread right?
                      Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

How about this ?

Name:	cooler.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	1277161

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                          We had a thread going here waaaay back with Odd Rod of the day, great memories.
                          Yeah, I started that thread a long time ago and wondered what PhotoBucket did with my old pics, so went looking. They are still viewable, but with a damn banner across the pics, but still a good run down memory lane. I posted in it to bring it up to the first page, so everyone can have another look.

Comment

Originally posted by oldsman496 View Post
                            I've been giggling like a schoolgirl since I opened the boxes this morning.....
                            ... We are supposed to derail this thread right?
                            Win!
                            Last edited by Beagle; August 7, 2020, 05:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post

Yeah, I started that thread a long time ago and wondered what PhotoBucket did with my old pics, so went looking. They are still viewable, but with a damn banner across the pics, but still a good run down memory lane. I posted in it to bring it up to the first page, so everyone can have another look.
                              when Garage Purge 2020 concludes, we should talk about how to fix that. They have two different URL's for each picture - the one that watermarks, and the one that doesn't. I'm not a clever programmer type but I'm thinking about a find/replace to change all the URL's without having to do it by hand.. I'm sure Chad would love us for filling up drives with locally hosted images but they could at least be freed from the PB watermark jail bars.

Comment

Working...
                              X