Time Travel Car Purchase Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time Travel Car Purchase Game

Not sure about ya'll, but I'm bored with the lack of interaction with society lately, so I was daydreaming the other day about if I could go back in time to buy one car, what would it be?

So here's the game; tell us a story of where you would go geographically and in time, to procure one car to bring back to the future with you, money being no object. For those of us that don't read so good, please post a picture that relates to your story.

I'll go first, to set the tone ...

I would travel back to January 1, 1965 to Los Angeles, California and head to the International Airport for a visit at Shelby American Inc's LAX hanger, to spend the afternoon touring their facility with Caroll, checking out the Daytona Coupe, ongoing development of the Ford GT40 and watching Ken Miles putting it through it's paces around the airport taxiways. Getting down to business, having Caroll sell me on a new 427 Cobra Mark III S/C, in dark blue with white stripes.

- Ford 427 cu in (7.0 L) FE engine, with single 4-barrel 780 CFM Holley carburetor
    - rated at 485 bhp
    - top speed of 185 mph
    - new chassis using 4 in main chassis tubes, up from 3 in
    - coil spring suspension all around, from previously-used transverse leaf spring
    - wide fenders
    - larger radiator opening

BELOW: An AC Cobra chassis from England being unloaded, with the top down. The GT-40 program had priority for the wheels so the Cobras had to wait for Halibrand to get caught up with their production.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AC Cobra Unloading.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	1278020

Can't argue with that choice, Steve! Just 'cause I had three 383 Road Runners, mine would be a 1968 or 1970 Hemi Road Runner. If I settled on a '70 it would be the same pale yellow (they called it gold for some reason) with tinted windows which made the combination sing. Four speed, of course, Dana 60 rear w/4:10s (I think, still stewing on that) and the rare factory AC. I'd recurve the distributor (not many folks know that the factory limited the HP output by handicapping the dist) and bring it back to now to educate the Honda crowd.

Or maybe a '70 Buick Gran Sport in red........

EDIT: here you go Dan, a real deal J code hemi four-speed ... ~ Monster
    https://carscoms.com/1968-plymouth-r...er-177762.html

Name:	68 Hemi Roadrunner 3-Spd.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	1278038

Comment

I've always had a thing for the cars of the twenties and thirties (20th century) . I would time travel back to 1967 to Pigsknucle Arkansas and rescue this poor Auburn that Pops won from some rich city feller in a poker game that he'd bet the family farm on to win. I'd spend the afternoon sipping shine from the jug with ol Pops, listening to his glory days stories, revenuers, the 80 gallon tank in the boat tail, surviving through The Great Depression, and somehow managing to keep the Auburn through it all.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Pig%20loneJPG.jpg Views:	1 Size:	38.4 KB ID:	1278028
      The actual backstory on this car is much better. I mean, honestly, how many cars have you owned that had parts scavenged off of it by the Japanese in World War II ?

http://www.rogerlearmonth.com/Roger_...n_History.html
      Last edited by Beagle; August 14, 2020, 11:29 AM.
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Need more rules. Are you talking YOUR money or unlimited money? Enjoy the car in THAT time period or bring it back here? Money no object, bring it here, yeah, 427 Cobra or Ferrari GTO. Just deliver it to Scottsdale and pick up the check. If money is a factor the bargain would be AMC. SC/Rambler, Rebel Machine, SS AMX. Probably buy the whole fleet for the price of the Cobra. Just one car? I might sway for a '69 Super Bee 6 Pack. They just had better lines than a Road Runner and better rounded out of the box than a Hemi. Hmmmmm..... I DO like my 'Cudas though.

Name:	1969-dodge-super-bee-a12.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	1278042
        Last edited by RockJustRock; August 14, 2020, 02:28 PM.
        My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

I'd get one of those..... and a Dodge.

Edit: Isn't it about time for the 21st Century flying cars we were promised in the 1950's? ~Monster

Name:	dodge-challenger-ufo-has-no-wheels-looks-slippery-139418_1.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	1278164
          My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

I'd get one of these. I'd also warn Mark not to race the March 751..

Comment

In spite of being a chevy guy I think the 72 W30 442 with a 4speed would be the car I'd bring back.

Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

not to veer off..
                I was crew chief on the kc135.
                I asked how they got the size for the door they use for cargo (same as some of 707) and one of the older guys said it was "for small cars like the cobra".
                nobody laughed.

when they decided to change commands on us (bomb drop) the cargo boxes custom built to fit on board may very well be within inches of that weirdo euro sizing for cars and containers on ships.

anyway..
                if to go back in time..
                I'd find something peculiar with a perkins
                might be a bread truck.

it might still be running today on one build as a tiny home

EDIT: a Soviet built, Perkins diesel powered UAZ-452 "Bukhanka" (an affectionate name that means "loaf of bread"). ~Monster

Name:	UAZ.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	1278163
                Previously boxer3main
                the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I would go back to Unionville IN-July 1979 and NOT sell my Red 1969 Boss 429 Mustang.
                  XOL got everything in the divorce.

Name:	Red 1969 Boss 429 Mustang.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	1278155

Comment

This sounds like my new next door neighbor !

Name:	waunakee-pic_1534635017891-jpg_12851817_ver1-0-1024x576.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	1278160
                    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I’d want back every one of my Chevelles, 1965 Malibu, 70 SS396, 76 Laguna, 72 240z, 88 K5 Jimmy, and even the Superbird for 3 grand that I passed on.... the cream was the 63 Corvette Z06 that a gentleman in Lincoln offered to sell me for 25k in 79 or the 63 Vette basket case that my cousin had promised to sell me b4 she gave it to her drug addicted son!

Name:	63 Corvette Z06.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	1278156
                      Last edited by silver_bullet; August 16, 2020, 09:01 AM.
                      Patrick & Tammy
                      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I was 7 or 8 when my Dad's friend Dave pulled in the driveway in a v12 XKE. A red coupe. After dinner and drinks, Dave and my dad took me for a ride...i sat in the middle... First time I had ever gone over 110 mph. I know, its british and doesn't have much re-sale today, and they catch fire, sometimes. But i just luv 'em. Except.....

Name:	jagred (2).jpg
Views:	95
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	1278330

about 4 yrs later in life when my folks had split and my big brother was in the navy, my mom, signed me up for the big brother program...I can't remember his name, but i remember him letting me drive his car.... and doing my first burnout at 12. Don't tell my mom.

Name:	1970-Ford-Mustang-BOSS-429 (2).jpg
Views:	92
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1278331
                        Dear Santa.........................................
                        Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

I had a neighbor with a Pantera back around 1974... and buddies neighbor had an E-type Jag. If I remember right, it was somewhere around '74 that the swine flu was going to kill us all. Soccer coach had a '68 or '69 Firebird convertible he'd roll us around in for pizza. Good times.

If I went back to 1974 to check on the swine flu outcome, I'd come back with one of these:

Click image for larger version  Name:	1974-Pontiac-Formula-455-SD.jpg Views:	0 Size:	343.0 KB ID:	1278336
                          Last edited by Beagle; August 18, 2020, 06:25 PM.
                          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I don't have a photo but I would go back to the first time I went to the Maxton, NC airport to see the ECTA's land speed racing going on there. I missed very few of those events over the years until the ECTA went elsewhere as use of the Maxton became impossible. I worked as a volunteer most of the time. I met many great people over those years.

Comment

It's easy to go back to the musclecar era, pick out your favorite, and run with it. Lord knows, send me back to 1974 with money and I'll have a warehouse filled before I return to the present to collect my reward. But I decided to go real-world this time and talk my dad out of selling one and into buying another. Somewhere before 1988 he sold his 1982 CJ-7 Renegade, a vehicle he had bought early on and loved dearly. He bought another shortly after I joined the Army, but he didn't do much with it and moved it along. Then, around 1992, he decided he needed another hot rod and picked up what I think was a 1979 Ford F-150 stepside that was a rolling transmission problem. Seriously, at least three in six months. I would've told him to spare himself and instead, buy the latest and greatest form of the car his mother had that he adored: a 1992 SLP Firehawk.

Name:	b4c5c08a63d0a4ecd67eb130ff52a135.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	1279152Click image for larger version

Name:	1991-firehawk.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	1279153
                              Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Working...
                              X