Car Magazines? Anybody?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Magazines? Anybody?

I am assuming that most of the car magazines are published or printed on the west coast? And they are mostly shut down due to bad voting habits. I have three or four subscriptions & other than a couple issues of HRM, have seen nothing since spring. Is anyone else out there getting anything other than that?
    ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Back in Dec, TEN (The Enthusiasts Network) announced they would cease publishing (printing) 19 of their 22 titles, leaving only Hot Rod, Motor Trend & Four Wheeler on the News Stand.

TEN Publishing, the publisher behind enthusiast magazines like Motor Trend, Hot Rod, Automobile, and a lot more, has announced it is shutting down print operations for 19 of its 22 titles next year.

It's amazing when you go into a bookstore, head to the magazine section, and can actually see OAK, they used to be so crammed full of various titles, it was sometimes impossible to spot the one you were looking for, now the racks are half (or more ) empty.......

Comment

I only take HRM and so far so good. Not saying it won't go online eventually but it's a lot harder to read them in the john.

Dan

Comment

HRM has been coming through just fine. As was mentioned, most of the TEN car mags went away this year, announced last December.

TEN Publishing, the publisher behind enthusiast magazines like Motor Trend, Hot Rod, Automobile, and a lot more, has announced it is shutting down print operations for 19 of its 22 titles next year.
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Thanks for the info. Somehow I missed all of that. And I had recently renewed both Super Chevy & Muscle Car Review. MCR & Vietnam Magazine were usually the only two that I found the time to read. This is what happens when a company(TEN) gets too big too fast.

Comment

I had just renewed my subscription to Hot Rod Deluxe before they shut it down? Sent a heavy profanity laced email in response to a shitty offer they gave me. Much to my surprise I got my money back? Print rags are dying!

Comment

I just let my HOT ROD sub go bye-bye. I could read everything of value in it within one hour. That's no longer a bargain, even at a buck a copy.
              Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
                I just let my HOT ROD sub go bye-bye. I could read everything of value in it within one hour. That's no longer a bargain, even at a buck a copy.
                I agree. I got a call the other day asking me to renew my HOT ROD subscription. I said no thanks. As far as I am concerned there just is not enough worthwhile stuff in to justify the money.
                Last edited by JRoberts; September 14, 2020, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post

I agree. I got a call the other day asking me to renew my HOT ROD subscription. I said no thanks. As far as I am concerned there just is not enough worthwhile stuff in to justify the money.
                  Ever get the feeling their heart is not in print any more, like they know it's over?

You can't get an immediate response to "Join our Newsletter for 15% off" with a hidden or hard to find "no thanks, you're not harvesting my email address" via a magazine, and it's pretty much always been about advertising revenue. The ad jockeys are all digital, it's too hard to plug magazines into a spreadsheet. Even this site does it. Seems like every site I go to now does this, and nothing feeds the immediate gratification button that is marketing like an immediate answer.

I can't remember where I heard it now, but it's part of the algorithm. When the product is free, you are the product.
                  Last edited by Beagle; September 14, 2020, 10:21 AM.
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I dropped my sub to all the magazines back before they killed off Higher performance Pontiac, because that mag had switched to running mostly LS stuff in it instead of actual Pontiacs. The ones they did have were show cars, not the hard core racing builds they detailed down to cam specs, head castings, and shift points. All the other mags would just say it has Pontiac heads on it, which could mean 7:1 to 13:1 compression if they were iron, if they even talked about the engine at all.

Why do I want to look at stills when I can have video now? I can hear it run, watch it run the number, and whoever is making the video can tell all about it.. as long as its not the scripted, plastic, reality stuff, or the "we throw $25k worth of aluminum at this thing and make modest power because the advertisers want to sell you more sbc stuff, its a lot better. Keep hollywood and the stuffed shirts out of the game, let the guys in a greasy T shirt selling his own greasy T shirts and coffee mugs figure out what he wants to do with his channel. Make it look like most of what is now on motor trend on demand, and you lose me. I like Roadkill, Engine Masters, and things like that. Fast and Loud, Street Outlaws, I am non plussed.

Only one magazine ever had content I really wanted to know, and it died about the same time my favorite automaker was axed by corporate in favor of selling Buicks to China after they worked feverishly to overprice and gouge everyone who liked the marque.. Street Rodder got dropped because they would claim it was home built, but it was hauled around to shops, and then it had another boring sbc in it.. sometimes a flattie, but usually the boring sbc. There is a whole world of engines out there to choose from, and they feature the least impressive one they can, the sbc. Edelbrock likes selling sbc stuff, so the sbc is always featured.

I watch Richard Holdener's YT channel, because it shows what happens when you change something, how much power you can expect from a certain combination, and you get to see the power curve and the effect changes have on it. He has done only one Pontiac engine, and I still watch. The Caddy stuff this week has been very interesting, and I figured out what I wanted in my 6.0 LS by watching his dyno pulls. You don't get that in a magazine, and you don't get that when 'production' people get involved. Engine Masters is on the edge of meh, but Dave has been testing interesting things. I kinda miss Dave and Dulcich on here.

Comment

OH, Yeah. I stopped my sub to HRM years ago. As all they were showing was LS this and LS that. not true hot rodding. PHR was good but was killed by the idiots. CC was getting better. I haven't picked up a new mag in over a year.

Tim
                      '71 Buick Sportwagon running project
                      '85 Ford Crown Victoria 2 dr. 2nd project
                      2015 Harley Street Glide 103ci

Comment

HRM had a good issue in 2016. That was a few editors ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	251.1 KB
ID:	1280716
                        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Got my latest (November 20/20) issue of Hot Rod. One of the skinniest ever. Only saving grace is that they finally got a Studebaker in it. Wasn't the best write up, but at least it is a Studebaker. I still am not going to renew when my subscription runs out.

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                            Got my latest (November 20/20) issue of Hot Rod. One of the skinniest ever. Only saving grace is that they finally got a Studebaker in it. Wasn't the best write up, but at least it is a Studebaker. I still am not going to renew when my subscription runs out.
                            I agree with you 100%. This is the thinnest HOT ROD ever!!! Not sure if it will carry on???

Comment

Still lots of old issues on ebay if you are looking for any particular issue. I have been looking for a mid-seventies issue that has a '55 2-dr hardtop on it that has some very wild paint. Lots of ribbons, scallops, fisheyes, etc. Not to my personal taste but I have a bit of a personal connection to the cloned version of the car that a friend of a friend did back then. I always thought that it was in Hot Rod but after buying & scouring the book of their magazine covers, I could not find it. So maybe it was featured in another rag.
                              Last edited by 67 Malibu; October 11, 2020, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X