Fires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fires

I'm thankful that, so far, we're okay. That said, much of my family lives in and around Oregon City, Oregon.
    t's a bit tense.
    Especially since it seems that some of the fires were human caused - including the fire which threatens my parents.

Be safe people, trust no one unless they have a BS sticker on their car.

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Fire is cruel when it's your foe and not your friend. From a part of the world that knows fire I hope things settle down there soon for that coast.

Tim
    Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

My heart goes out to the folks affected. Here we're getting almost too much rain and I wish we could share it with the places that need it.

Dan

Comment

I hope that you and your's are all safe and make it through this . There is plenty of smoke drifting our way , you sure can smell it this morning.

Comment

"Foggy" here, weather app cannot tell the differences.. I am good and safe from the fires. 35+- from 2 of them, one shifted north towards SBG's parents. Smoke and ash everywhere.. Staying in the house, asthma sucks in this stuff! Detroit Oregon is (was?) up in the cascades, small town, burned most to the ground...

Comment

Not a good time to wake up with a scratchy irritating cough.
            My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Its actually making it opercast here in Indy. Last two days it looked like it would rain but there wasn't any . The particulates in the atmosphere are making for great sunsets though . Be careful out thete guys . Hope you get alot of rain to help those fighting the fires .
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Bob sent me some pics, since he was unable to post them (it was because they were too big and needed to be resized).

Originally posted by deafbob
                My place in town looking NE towards one fire.
                Drone pic off fb someone else took. I’m basically at the belt near the hills. This is facing west at sunset
                We are safe from fires
                But heavy smoke and some ash
                Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	1280198

Name:	image (1).jpg
Views:	75
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	1280199

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	1280200

Comment

thankfully the gale winds stopped, but now they need the rain that's forecast on Monday .... supposed to rain all week... praying.

Comment

Prayer for rain for you guys. I saw something a while back that talked about the houses that burned and the ones that were left untouched. It looked like a developed neighborhood so not sure it it applies to your area. They said that a lot of house burn because embers catch dry yard debris around the house or get caught up in a flammable surface. I know that water can be scares, and if the power goes out you would have to have alternate power, but is putting sprinklers on the roof or around the house to kept it wet a possible idea?
                    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                      Prayer for rain for you guys. I saw something a while back that talked about the houses that burned and the ones that were left untouched. It looked like a developed neighborhood so not sure it it applies to your area. They said that a lot of house burn because embers catch dry yard debris around the house or get caught up in a flammable surface. I know that water can be scares, and if the power goes out you would have to have alternate power, but is putting sprinklers on the roof or around the house to kept it wet a possible idea?
                      most fires don't start on the roof - they put a fire retardant in pretty much any shingle made in the last 30 years. Most start when window breaks and whatever is inside combusts. Strangely, if you look at the Paradise fires. A shop put cars inside they wanted to protect - but what was outside survived and what was inside was burned....

You are correct, often it's landscaping that gets you... bush catches on fire ahd holds the heat next to the house... poof. Or a flaming tree falls and goes through the roof... lots of science in protecting your stuff in the wilderness.. that said, these fires are so hot that nothing really has a chance.

Comment

So damn smokey here today. My dog didn't do his usual head out the window cruzing down the road.

Comment

You really have to stand miles away from flames and feel the heat to realize the destructive power of fire in the woods.. Rode along with great uncle when he did fire watch after logging shut down for the day.. Dry!

Comment

Thanks Monster..

Comment

I complain a lot about rural maine..
                              and I feel stupid after seeing all this.

I saw the story of the boy and his dog, and grandma

that is some serious fast hell.
                              Hope nature goes better. It has to.
                              intense fire only burns once.

my great grandpa and grandpa died in the same fire in 1961. Some old building in boston. Very fast.
                              Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 13, 2020, 08:06 PM.
                              Previously boxer3main
                              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
                              X