Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Organizing the Shop (Phase 3 or 4 or.....)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organizing the Shop (Phase 3 or 4 or.....)

WAY past due! I've had a pile of junk in this corner for several years thinking I'd get around to straightening it up eventually. With no racing this year "eventually" is now. I made a box for another purpose and decided it would do nicely for my aluminum bits and then I built a second box for smaller steel scraps with the long pieces going on the rack next to the stairs (it's above the aluminum box). Today's project was to start building another box for the wood scraps. I've been using up a bunch of 3/4" plywood and particle board to make the boxes and I had a bunch of heavy duty casters that I was going to use for another project that didn't happen so the ones on the floor are on wheels.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0278.jpeg Views:	22 Size:	924.5 KB ID:	1280225
    Dan
    Last edited by DanStokes; September 13, 2020, 08:55 AM.

Nice! That must be my problem. I can't get my boxes of aluminum to levitate. I'm about to have to go into shelf mode, every horizontal surface gets covered.

Lumber has almost doubled in price down here since March. I've had to do some fence repair this month and discovered I should have bought the warehouse full then. "They" blame the mills being shutdown but I also noticed "They" have been ripping 2x3's out of larger lumber, probably a 2x8 they already had in stock. That's what happens I guess. In March I couldn't afford the time to build what I wanted but had enough money, now I can't afford the lumber but have enough time. lol.
    Last edited by Beagle; September 13, 2020, 04:20 AM.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I was going to ask "Is it me?" Maybe I learned it from Dan. But no I moved stuff from Columbus to Ann Arbor before meeting Dan in the 90's. Unfortunately I keep"finding stuff" to fill up the corners. Yesterday as an example: 3 different valveseat machines, 2 different valve grinding machines, a boring bar, and the easy one, a spring rater.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200913_191847.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	1280262Click image for larger version

Name:	20200913_191809.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	972.9 KB
ID:	1280263 And as you can see, I have a thing for collecting old, odd automotive machines.

So maybe it is me, but I'm blaming Dan...

Comment

I'll take the credit!

Dan

Comment

I keep coming home with more stuff to put in my dream garage . I don't mean everyone should dream to have my garage , I just keep thinking I'm dreaming when I'm in it . First week , a mowing deck for the Wheel Horse tractor and a snow blower then two bikes , this week another air compressor and a radial arm saw . And I really am getting a hankering for a late 70 early eighties Sea Ray boat . Trust me I know all the bad stuff about boats
          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Boats, a hole in the water, well you know the rest...

I'm just glad its not me alone. There's stuff in my shop that I have had since I was 10 or 12 years old, just because. And by the way I am not as old as Dan, but I am a product of the 60's. Bell bottoms, paisley shirts, long hair (long gone), all the great bands...

Comment

The rains started Monday Afternoon Late, by Saturday evening, 3 1/2+ inches.
              So with the Newer Van at the Graphics Shop for stripes, the isle way in the Blue Barn was wide open. (Old Horse Barn)
              Emptied two stalls full of Stuff (Shit) just piled in there to go to swap meets. Resorted boxes, totes, rusty things, and filled one trailer full of Crap to go to the Dump next Saturday.
              Really didn't gain any room, but you can now walk in there without FEAR of getting Maimed from Shit Falling on you.

Comment

Dan, you definitely started something. I have been emptying out the last section of this barn for a cement floor placement. Rough part is it was the catch-all for the other spaces, when they got emptied all the stuff went in here.

And a friend called with a deal-to-good-to-pass-up on shelving. Only catch was I had to take it all, no cherry-picking. So that meant spreading it all out to figure out what-goes-with-what. Yard is a mess, but have tossed and burnt a lot of stuff too, so not quite as much will go back in.

Name:	3r7wV3D.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	867.3 KB
ID:	1280333

I think I will pressure wash the ceiling and walls before concrete work. No point in putting the dirt on a new floor.

Name:	wAgmnzA.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	974.9 KB
ID:	1280334

"New" shelves and assorted clutter sitting outside the door. Wife is thrilled.

Name:	W9spNwv.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	1280335

Underfloor insulation already on site and awaiting underfloor tiling/drainage sump work. This is in the lowest part of the property and water intrusion has been an issue in the past. Have made good progress on that front but will do everything possible to fend off a flooded space.

Name:	MYgaHSw.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	766.7 KB
ID:	1280337
                Attached Files
                Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Stiney - I like this a lot! My buddy David (rack4u on here though he doesn't get on much lately) was a dealer in used and reconditioned rack shelving for many years. It is, of course, good stuff. You might not be aware that there are several designs for the interlock of shelves/uprights so it won't all fit together. David had a way to repunch them so Brand A would work with Brand B though that's about all I know about it. Just letting you know that if you decide you need more it may or may not work with what you have.

Dan

Comment

Got more done:

The box for my wood bits is done and I started filling it. I've also said goodbye to lots of small pieces of wood that I was sure I'd need on some tomorrow but then decided it wasn't worth the mess. So next week I'll need ALL of it!

Here's the box as finished: The dividers were cut down from an old project from ME's studio. It's basically 1/4" oak veneer plywood with a reinforced edge. Plenty stout enough for this purpose and it was basically trash.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0280.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.06 MB ID:	1280362

And in the process of being filled: The compartment at the lower right is all bits of oak. Somehow I can't bring myself to toss hardwood as it all seems precious.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0282.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1,007.7 KB ID:	1280363

And Russell: Here's the promised pallet wood all knocked apart and de-stapled. Come and get it when you can.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0281.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.07 MB ID:	1280364
                    Dan
                    Last edited by DanStokes; September 14, 2020, 07:28 PM.

Comment

I'm glad to see yourshop is neat as I remeber in A2. Yes its Dan. We all get it from Dan!

I don't do much with wood. When you cut it wrong (I know, measure twice...) you can't weld it back up like steel. So I only keep scraps of wood for blocking, shiming, or using on the drill press so I don't drill the table.

Comment

Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post

I don't do much with wood. When you cut it wrong (I know, measure twice...) you can't weld it back up like steel. .
                        Glue and biscuits and it's all back together minus the saw kerf. Pretty much the same deal as welding your mistakes back together. I enjoy both. Speaking of welding, did you get a new MIG? The old Lincoln is in South Lyon with Ben and his boys.

Dan

Comment

I may have been guilty of measuring once, cutting three times, and it's still too short myself.
                          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Yes actually on my 2nd mig since being here, also a tig, and for old time sake, a new set of torches, mainly to get up to date regulators and safety devices. I still use the old Airco aircraft torches however. Small and light, when needed.

How old are Ben's kids now? Did grandad teach the basics of all things old cars? Also whatever happened to the Taurus we stuck together? Did it last for a few years?

Comment

Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post

How old are Ben's kids now? Did grandad teach the basics of all things old cars? Also whatever happened to the Taurus we stuck together? Did it last for a few years?
                              The boys are 12 and 9 (I think - they grow up SO quickly). The younger one is on the autism spectrum but is better day by day though a lot of work. With Grandpa Dan being so far away we don't get shop time but ME and I did ship them the Lincoln as Gavin (the older guy) had a hankering to learn welding. Ben has a buddy who welds and who helps occasionally so they're working on their skills when Ben can get away from work.

The Taurus was James and Sarah's car for a couple of years then they moved on to something new though that was kind of a learning experience. The Taurus served them well for the time they drove it.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X