Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Organizing the Shop (Phase 3 or 4 or.....)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So it didn't break in half where we welded it then... I've wondered for years. Well not actually years, just now and again.

Comment

Another effort to use otherwise wasted space:

There's lots of room under the mezzanine that's just hanging out doing nothing. I have some long stuff to store, especially the metal framing that I use to make a box on top of the car trailer when it does double duty as a gravel hauler, junk toter, etc. It's a real PITA to stash the metal framing up in the building framing (accessible from the mezzanine) when not in use. And I had some small square tubing that didn't have a current use. SOooooooo......

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0286.jpeg
Views:	97
Size:	811.5 KB
ID:	1280594

And the "hooks" to go over the structural steel. A 1/4" bolt at each intersection and Bob's yer uncle.

Name:	IMG_0288.jpeg
Views:	89
Size:	856.3 KB
ID:	1280595

Side benefit - proof that the 'Stang really does exist.

Dan

Comment

Poor 'Stang ! How long has he been captive in that stall ?
        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
          Poor 'Stang ! How long has he been captive in that stall ?
          Way, WAY too long! Hope to dig the ol' boy out in the not-too-distant future, The Volvo tach is out for retrofit by Redline Gauge Works (see this month's HRM) and as soon as it gets back the Volvo can go back to Dick. Mutt is pretty much ready to race so he can go in the slot that the Volvo is in and then 'Stang can go on the hoist and get all his fluids changed and otherwise get ready to live again. I really need to strip and paint the old guy so I'm kicking that around, too. Maybe I'll strip him w/sandpaper then take him to Harry for the paint or maybe I'll shoot him here - back and forth on that. I did, however, buy a new Optima battery for him so I AM serious.

Dan
          Last edited by DanStokes; September 18, 2020, 12:16 PM.

Comment

No! That paint job has our blood in it! Don't do it! Oh the humanity! And all the hours we spent sanding and filling, and sanding and priming and sanding, and repriming, and...I still havenightmares about painting 2 rustangs that summer. Maggie's is probably in that happy racetrack in the sky, or its a Toyota or something.

Comment

So if you like pegboard for some tools but hate hanging it on wood strapping and having it fixed on one wall of your garage/shop try hanging it this way. I take Closetmaid hanging shelving standards, the kind that hang off a horizontal track, and screw the pegboard to the standards using 10-24 button head screws. This way if you change your mind you only need to slide it along the track, or empty it off and hang it on another horizontal rail wherever you want it next. BTW the vertcal shelf standards really stiffen the pegboard. Next time in the shop I'll take a picture of it.

I think you will find it is a good way to hang pegboard.

Comment

I've got a question: why is it just when you think you've got your shop organized, you realize that there is more stuff to organize? You knowyou find a few boxes tucked into the basement, or the shed or...

Comment

I think it's a subset of Murphy's Law. Remember, Murphy was an optimist. (and yes, I have the same issue)

Dan

Comment

You need to show a picture of your pegboard idea in service. I have mixed emotions on pegboard, I really like it on the ends of shelving/pallet racking to take advantage of that hanging space for long stuff.
                    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                      You need to show a picture of your pegboard idea in service. I have mixed emotions on pegboard, I really like it on the ends of shelving/pallet racking to take advantage of that hanging space for long stuff.
                      I've always avoided pegboard myself as my Dad's experience was at best mixed - stuff doesn't seem to get back to its designated place. Besides, I keep adding tools so what worked last week doesn't work next week. I know you can reconfigure but that turns into another job. I have 3 roller-type tool boxes and the mezzanine w/shelves and that seems to work as well as anything for me.

Dan

Comment

Name:	20201014_221443.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	1282287 Here's a picture (sorry I'm terrible with pictures...) of the pegboard behind one bench. You can see the top rail at the ceiling, and 4 standards hanging down. I had to have the pegboard cut in half and then remove another inch off both sheets to get them to fit in my suv. That's the gap you see in between the center of the pegboard. If you plan on heavy stuff on the pegboard use 3 standards equally spaced for 4x4 sheet or 5 standards for a full 4x8 sheet. I assume most people have pick-em-ups. I use machine screws 10-24 or 10-32 dependson what I have on hand with a flat washer under the head against the pegboard, and put the nuts on the back side inside the standard channel. You will find some holes line up with the screw holes in the standards, and you will have to drill some holes. I chose to drill holes in the channel to match the pegboard, but that's just me. You loose1row of holes per standard, but if you decide to move it to another location in your shop you don't have to screw furring strips to the wall, screw the pegboard to the furring strips, oh and still loose a row of holes where its screwed to the furring strips.

Comment

Working...
                        X