Coca Cola pulls NHRA sponsorship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by studemax View Post

120 people PER DAY die in auto accidents in the US. 600,000 people die of cancer every year in the US. 490,000 people will die of the flu this year in the US.
    THOSE NUMBERS are something to worry about. C-19 is a piker.
    Nobody has any idea how bad things would be with no countermeasures. Would you volunteer you locality and family members to find out?
    Last edited by RockJustRock; September 22, 2020, 06:17 PM.
    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Even Fauci said that masks are doing no good (back in March). The virus in an aerosol is smaller than the holes in cloth masks. Even smoke particles are larger.
      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
        Fans can do without attending live sporting events, but don't take away their Coke !
        Left home today for work and got ther without a wallet
        scrounged up a buck $1.50 . Yeah I bought 3 cokes and no food . I can do without any professional sports but buddy , the only thing worse than taking my Coke is to drisrespect the flag .
        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Good news! Camping World is looking at sponsoring the NHRA.....

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
            ... 490,000 people will die of the flu this year in the US...
            Care to share your source for this number?

The CDC seems to have different numbers
            " While the impact of flu varies, it places a substantial burden on the health of people in the United States each year. CDC estimates that influenza has resulted in between 9 million – 45 million illnesses, between 140,000 – 810,000 hospitalizations and between 12,000 – 61,000 deaths annually since 2010."

Comment

Health.com. I see that number is hospitalizations, not deaths. My bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                ... I sign a contract with a gym, but I don't use it. I still have to pay. It will be an interesting case...
                This might fire up Aaron BUT it seems to me that in our society today, contracts are a formality that don't seem to be worth the paper they are written on. It seems we hear daily about professional sports figures / clubs / owners renegotiating/breaking contracts because one or the other of them don't like the terms that they previously agreed to.

My guess is it will depend on the wording in the contract - IF it specified a required number of events or X number of televised hours of exposure then I suspect they have some ground to stand on.

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                ...Screw all that, Holley can't manage to ship me a freaking JET KIT in six weeks! Did they stop selling carbs?
                Call QuickFuel - they probably have some in stock.

Comment

Originally posted by anotheridiot View Post
                  ...Non profit organization who's president makes 650K per year, nope...
                  I have a friend that has been a LONG time sportsman racer and this appears to be one of his top rants about NHRA. To hear him tell it, it goes well below the president's salary. It sounds like there is a rather large group of VPs making high 6 figure salaries as well.

So how does a company like the NHRA get and maintain non-profit status? I don't believe it is because they don't have any operating capital left to pay taxes after they pay the higher up's salaries?

Comment

An often misunderstood tax classification .. Non-profit means exactly that, the business model is not designed to turn a profit. It is however, designed to make money and lots of it. Paying employee salaries and other overhead costs comes out of the kitty first and whatever is leftover goes to whatever issue they are supporting.

Comment

Ah. Non-profit.

Once upon a long time ago, the team I was on at work did some "Charity" community and team building event at Goodwill. Basically, making the overpaid computer jockeys do a day of indentured servitude so the company looks good. I noticed quite a few high end Lexus in designated spots at the center. They were working their staff ******* HARD, like slave labor, minimum wage and frequently reminded that's the best they would ever do. I heard "you're luck to have a job" on the floor a lot that day. After our contribution to being grunts, the big honcho dude comes out to tell us all about the good work they do for the community, hiring people who would otherwise have a difficult time finding work... in what had to have been a 3000 dollar silk suit.

"Administrative fees"

Any respect I had for that organization was lost, never to be regained. I'm sure there are plenty more as bad or worse, and very few that are good. The world is tough. Wear a cup.

Oh, the topic. Yeah, forgot about that. I am supporting Nestle. Coke can sit on a short stick.
                      Last edited by Beagle; September 23, 2020, 07:53 AM.
                      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I'm hoping for two things come out of this:
                        1) racing continues. The fans deserve it.
                        2) Bruab still has a job. He certainly deserves it too.
                        Last edited by oletrux4evr; September 23, 2020, 07:41 PM.
                        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

"Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                          ... I sign a contract with a gym, but I don't use it. I still have to pay. It will be an interesting case."

In this case, the racing organization shut down,

NHRA stopped having events, I was pretty sure that this deal with Coke was for more than 8 million a year, which made that payment a quarterly payment that NHRA did not get while the organization was shut down..

Maybe that was Cokes intention, when you start racing they would start paying again, but NHRA sued them for 2.8 million they did not get while they were shut down and Coke had no choice but to give them the bird.

Comment

Working...
                          X