Is it me???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it me???

Is it me or do we all have a predilection for collecting old stuff? I'm not talking about the car parts, but the other stuff. For instance: Click image for larger version  Name:	20200930_161200.jpg Views:	0 Size:	880.5 KB ID:	1281475 And: Click image for larger version  Name:	20200902_153425.jpg Views:	0 Size:	956.3 KB ID:	1281476 And: Click image for larger version  Name:	20200913_191809.jpg Views:	0 Size:	972.9 KB ID:	1281477 Had an oops there. My internet connection went bleah for a moment.

Anyway, it seems old stuff finds its way to me no matter how hard I try to minimize my inate desire to preserve old stuff. I've got more but let's see what others collect so as to preserve our "history". Yeah that's what I'll call it...
    Last edited by dave.g.in.gansevoort; October 2, 2020, 09:24 AM.

I got plenty of old stuff, including me. As I unpack from the move I'll try to snap a few pics.
    I'm probably wrong

Comment

Yes please! I hoped I wasn't the only one. It starts so simply. Poking thru the stuff that came along with some of the recent acquisition, I came across this: Click image for larger version

Name:	20201002_164428.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	860.3 KB
ID:	1281480 Wow I said to myself. I wonder if there's another in the guy's garage. Go over there and look around. Chris says take the bucket. So I take the bucket, get home and yup, there it is, a mate: Click image for larger version

Name:	20201002_164441.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	892.7 KB
ID:	1281481 Ok, so here's what else I ended up with: Click image for larger version

Name:	20201002_164523.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	1281482 Yup, the rusty, crusty stuff on the bench, not to mention a bucket still mostly full of scrap stuff. Oh and this: Click image for larger version

Name:	20201002_164359.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	843.0 KB
ID:	1281483 Dan Stokes will remember this. It was a coffee table at one time during my days in Ann Arbor (forever known as A^2). It moved with me from Columbus OH to A^2 as a way to get the feds to move car parts (long story, maybe someday...). It's a 327 300 hp small journal blockthat will clean up at 10 over. I gave it to Chris 3 years ago as she who must be obeyed and I were moving into an appartment while having a new house built 1/2 mile from the old one. Stuff had to go. Who knew it'd find its way back to mein my timeof need (dummy block to finish a project I'll go into here some day.

Comment

I have a fabulous web page filled with a small part of the old stuff I play with.

The Fantastic Informative page of Jim Forbes

Last edited by squirrel; October 2, 2020, 02:15 PM.
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Not as much as I tossed a huge pile before I moved here 16ish years ago. i DO have a fairly complete Buick 322 nailhead but no one want it (even for free) so it's going to the recycler in a few days.

I used to have 5 Buick (some were Olds) 215s, a bunch of Delcotrons, and about anything else you could think of for little Buicks but that's all in the past. The last of it went for cores and/or scrap when we moved.

Dan

Comment

I need a 215....too bad...

(I had a couple myself, several few decades ago, they also got tossed)
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

the majority of my old stuff is cars, parts, or tools. The other old stuff came with the property, or from the farm

Comment

My thing is late-19th century to mid-20th century hand tools, for when the SHTF and we lose electrical power permanently.

Comment

I wish I could claim that all of the stuff in my garage was useful and that I knew what everything was or was to be use for. I mean I found the other day two aluminum go-kart wheels with slicks. The problem-- they are different sizes. If I listed all the stuff that was like this it would probably shut the internet down.
                  Lots of Studebaker stuff that is good, but there is nobody around here that wants it and most stuff would be is too big or heavy to easily be shipped. We were going to try to vend a lot of this stuff at the Studebaker International Meet but it was canceled...... Oh, well maybe some day when I feel better than I have been lately I'll get more challenged I'll start cleaning the place up. .

Comment

Come on guys, fess up and post pics of all that stuff that we all seem to collect, because it would be a shame to send it to the dump/recycler/whatever.

I've shown some of mine, now show yours. And remember, its not a sickness, its environmentalism at its finest!

Comment

Dad is a chemist specializing in food sciences. He invented Peanut Butter Captain Crunch among other things. While he was in college working towards his PhD, they started transitioning from balance scales to digital ones and were getting rid of the outdated balances. Dad managed to snag one. It's from the early 1900's and was several hundred dollars back then. When I was a kid Dad weighed two pieces of paper, one for me, one for my sister, then had us write our names on our piece, then weighed it giving us the weight of our names. This scale is so sensitive it could tell us how much the ink on the paper weighed. If you touch the weights with your bare skin, the oils will react with the metal of the weights, corrode it some, and alter the weight. It is that sensitive. I recently was gifted this piece of my childhood that has been in our family my entire life. I'm going to have it cleaned and refurbished when I can.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0902.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	250.3 KB
ID:	1281500

Name:	IMG_0904.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	1281499

Name:	IMG_0905.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	1281498
                      I'm probably wrong

Comment

A wood burned pencil box my aunt did in the 60's.

Name:	IMG_4090.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	357.4 KB
ID:	1281502
                        I'm probably wrong

Comment

I love it! Keep this gold coming guys. We'll have enough stuff to create a scientific excape room with all the jetsam and flotsam we all collect. Perfect for Halloween!

Comment

Originally posted by tedly View Post
                            Dad is a chemist specializing in food sciences. He invented Peanut Butter Captain Crunch among other things.

dude...your DAD invented peanutbutter capn crunch ?!?!!!
                            please please PLEASE if hes still with us, shake his hand
                            and give him my sincere thanks--that is my all time favorite
                            cereal from the time i was a kid till now. and let him know that
                            cutting it 50/50 with cocoapuffs is absolutely fabulous.....

oh yeah, cool scale too. but come on, i mean-- peanutbutter
                            capn crunch........

Comment

Come on, there's more of us out there with "museums" collecting in our garages/ basements/ sheds/ storage facilities, let's see more of the archeological collections. I know they are out there...

Comment

Working...
                              X