No announcement yet.

Is it me???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a toolbox Dad made sometime around the late 50's, early 60's I think.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5649.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	345.9 KB
ID:	1281891
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5651.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	317.5 KB
ID:	1281892
    I'm probably wrong

Comment

Here is a tablesaw Dads cousin made for him. I don't know exactly when it was made but it's been around as long as I can remember, so any time from the late 50's to the early 70's is the range we're looking at. Still functions perfectly as far as I know, haven't had the chance to look it over and fire it up yet. I know Dad has used this as recently as this spring.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5638.JPG Views:	0 Size:	335.9 KB ID:	1281899
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5639.JPG Views:	0 Size:	331.7 KB ID:	1281895
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5643.JPG Views:	0 Size:	288.7 KB ID:	1281896
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5640.JPG Views:	0 Size:	279.3 KB ID:	1281897Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5642.JPG Views:	0 Size:	370.0 KB ID:	1281898
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5647.JPG Views:	0 Size:	310.0 KB ID:	1281900
      Last edited by tedly; October 7, 2020, 06:54 PM.
      I'm probably wrong

Comment

Tedly, that table saw is AWSUM! Square nuts, and the tilt mechanism, WOW! My grandfather G (the Italian side) was an old world trained carpenter/cabinet maker. He had a shopmade saw, but only used it for slabbing out wood. Had a blade about 20 inches in diameter, direct drive off of a motor that used up about 1/2 the cutting depth. It had a double knife switch exposedfor all to get zapped to turn it on. My brother and I were in his shop once years after he died, and decided we'd see if it still ran. Threw the switch, the lights dimmed, it took a couple of minutes to get to speed, and even longer to wind down. I wish we had it, or at least pictures. Oh well... Come on guys more of this stuff is out there, let's see it. Click image for larger version

Name:	20201007_141712.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	902.3 KB
ID:	1281917 I don't know if it's clear enough to see, but there's a little tiny table saw on the lower shelf. I think it might have been used for fretwork??? It's my neighbor, Bobs, and I have been tinkering with it to make it run smoothly. We're going to use it for cutting thin wall tubing, which is what he used it for years ago. Conduit and such. Hey we're both old and thrifty and lazy...

Comment

Uncle Bobby was a shop teacher, so he definitely has some skills. I think my brother has the lathe turned lamp base with a glass globe he made. It's about a foot and a half across, I think. I still have a racecar he made for me when I was little somewhere in this mess. That saw is SOLID. Dad backed into it with the van once. Dented the van, couldn't even tell anything happened to the saw.

I love your description of firing that saw up! I get so lost in details looking at handmade things, seeing how that person solved a problem or improved on ideas... Just like cars I guess.
          I'm probably wrong

Comment

BTW Tedly, love the toolbox also. It almost looks like a lap writing desk by design, turned into a useful toolbox. I also notice that like me, you use smaller easily portable toolboxes. I can't move the large one around much anymore, good thing its on wheels. But if I need to take tools somewhere, canvase toolbags, and small 3-drawer toolboxes get the job done. That or 17 trips to the shop to get all the required stuff to the task at hand. Maybe that's next; ok guys, pics of all the ways we tote tools to the task (oooo my college english comp prof would give an a for aliteration there).

Comment

Here Ya Go !!!!!
              ALL at Auction Prices !!!!
              Auction After Party at Capt's
              "Junk Shop & Tractor Ranch" Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG1694.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	782.6 KB
ID:	1282113

Comment

That table saw is wonderful. This is going to be one of my favorite threads, because I love old stuff! The problem is, I hoard so much cool old stuff that my shop becomes unusable. Then I have to have a major purge, and say goodbye to some of my inanimate friends. But then I get to start over!

David, I have that same Allen Syncrograph! I still use it on all of my points distributors. One of these days, I'll make up an adapter to use it on electronic ignition distributors.

I'll start with a few things that I already have in the computer, then take some pics of more junk as time permits.

Here is an old relic that I got free off of craigslist. It was non-op, but with a couple hours work fixing some stuck valves and vacuum leaks, I got it working. It still needs a tune up:

Comment

I also collect old automotive cut aways, vintage speed equipment, obsolete engines, and old film projectors.

Corvair cutaway engine:

early hemi:

Packard V12 display engine:

Dodge NASCAR engine:

Caddy V16 for display or possible hot rod project:

Comment

This is an old steam engine I pulled from the scrap iron pile at a farm estate auction. It was stuck, but after a month or so of my son spraying it with PB Blaster, it came loose. we have it running on compressed air.

Comment

Joel, Dave is an old buddy and former co-worker from EPA (he moved on and I stayed). He was beyond a doubt the best engineer I ever worked with as he had a mixture of book learnin' and hands on skills. Dave - Joel is the Real Deal and has more hemis that anyone should get to have along with a Duesenberg that he actually drives! I predict this will be the start of a beautiful friendship.

Dave - if we go to Arkansas for LSR we can probably work it out to swing by Joel's place coming or going. It's a bit out of our way but worth it (I've been wanting to do this for several years).

Dan

Comment

WOW!!! Joel, your shop is HEAVEN! If I ever get there, I may never leave. Currently my distributor machine is not operational, only because I have it apart for cleaning and adjusting. I'll try to make legible pictures of electronic blueprints I have and will post them. I wrote to Allen in the early 80s and they actually sent them to me no charge. I guess those machines were so old they didn't sell them anymore and hence no problem with intellectual property.

Btw, to run electronic, or magneto, ignitions on one you need to make up a sparkplug bank, and make sure the ignition is grounded to theplug shells like it would be in an engine. Also, use an o-scope. A fascinating note, with a Vertex mag the pattern flip-flops. 1plug fires up on the scope, the next fires down. Think about that: reversing polarity, every other plug has the spark jump from the ground strap to the center electrode.

Comment

Today I picked up my dad’s toolbox that grandpa made for him over 60 years ago, put it on his table saw that my uncle made, and pulled out my grandpa’s hammer so I could do a repair on my stuff.

I just thought this was exceptionally cool and a little humbling at the same time. Thought you guys might appreciate this.

Click image for larger version  Name:	167F0FDA-2580-455C-AD5F-A6A091959C1D.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	334.0 KB ID:	1282434
                          Last edited by tedly; October 17, 2020, 02:06 PM.
                          I'm probably wrong

Comment

Right On! (The "LIKE" button is currently inop)

Dan

Comment

Working...
                            X