Anyone have remedies for pain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have remedies for pain?

The knees have gotten bad this year, the left one is swelling and I can't get things done before the snow. The glucosamine and meds from the VA aren't doing it anymore. Its so rough I can't find a position where it doesn't hurt like an ice pick being jammed in there. I have a ton to do, but can't freakin walk.. I plan to get some more CBD, it seems to help, and once I can get it all done I can take a break for a month or two and heal up. So, anyone have suggestions?

I like Naproxin. It is an anti-inflammatory. Was brand name Aleve, but now cheaper generic. It has the same stomach drawbacks as aspirin though.
    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
      I like Naproxin. It is an anti-inflammatory. Was brand name Aleve, but now cheaper generic. It has the same stomach drawbacks as aspirin though.
      I should have mentioned, can't do more NSAIDs, already on one and doubling them isn't a good idea according to the VA.

Comment

Wish I had something to offer. All I can do is send Best Positive Energy and hope you can get some relief.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post

I should have mentioned, can't do more NSAIDs, already on one and doubling them isn't a good idea according to the VA.
          Depends on which ones. I've been taking Aleve pretty much daily for years, and I think it's Tylenol I can take with if it needed, but not ibuprofin. It's doubling up on ones that affect the same organ where you run into real bad problems.

I get bad inflamation in most every joint, but especially my knees. Took Tylenol daily for years to deal with the pain and frequently maxed out the daily dosage. Finally got to see a Dr and he told me to try naproxin sodium (Aleve). Worked way better. Control the inflamation you control the pain. Get more CBD lotion, strongest you can find. Always worked for me. Voltarin used to work awesome on my screwed up foot and I think you can buy it OTC now. Definitely worth trying. Heat is your friend. Hot water bottles, electric blankets, those microwave heating pads, whatever. Heat can contribute to inflamation but for me cold hurts. I can't ice my knees or shoulder. That's not happening. Heat feels sooooooooo much better. Try soaking in a hot tub with epsom salt too. That helps a lot better than I expected.
          I'm probably wrong

Comment

Tedly I wish I could soak in a bathtub.. I gotta drive 13 miles just to take a shower. lol Good advice, I plan to pick up sbc tomorrow, oil and he rub on stuff. The VA told me not to take any nsaids because of the one I am on. Its so bad I think there is something wrong with it that wasn't before.

Comment

Just looked it up and apparently Voltaren is an NSAID as well. Damn shame because that stuff was amazing for my foot. Maybe you could get an old salvage tub or something to use to soak in? Hell, just melt snow and heat it in a kettle over a fire if you gotta. Put heat in your body however you can. I finally had to move south again because I just can't do winters any more. I'm already feeling and moving better than I have in years and I've only been here about a month.

Wait... You're in Michigan. Dude, get to a dispensary and get an indica strain along with the CBD. If you have inflammation issues, it can honestly help a lot. Especially if what you're dealing with is AI related.
              I'm probably wrong

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post
                The VA told me not to take any nsaids because of the one I am on.
                My condition is too weird to detail, diet related, but I was taking 200 mg of Celebrex twice a day for some years to keep going and it finally quit working. Then I was debilitated and in big trouble because the local horse doctor in SC prescribed only two nsaids - Celebrex and Vioxx. The Vioxx did nothing and the doctor was gruff about it - keep taking it and come back in a month. Sue Unit got me an appointment at the Medical University of SC and that doctor had a poster on the wall in the exam room listing about 150 different nsaids. I didn't know whether too be mad or glad.

He wrote me prescriptions for three, said don't cash them all in at once, they'll bust him for writing so many prescriptions. The first one I tried - Mobic. I had been out of work for two months and I couldn't pick up the Sunday newspaper with both hands. Two days on Mobic and we went bowling. I had to use the little kids' ball because the others were too heavy. But I could actually move around without screaming in pain.

Tedly's advice is probably the best overall, but all that to say nsaids are different from one another and there are lots of them.
                Last edited by pdub; October 19, 2020, 04:10 AM.
                Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Sorry for your pain, but my remedies for pain won't help you get any work done .. ha, ha, ha.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
                    Tedly's advice is probably the best overall, but all that to say nsaids are different from one another and there are lots of them.
                    Auto immune disorders run strong on both sides of my family. Multiple sclerosis, Myesthenia gravis, fibromyalgia, and all kinds of other stuff. That’s just what we know about from my generation and the two before it. My ex had rheumatoid arthritis. One of my mentors had MS bad. I got something going on that hits me hard sometimes... I know a thing or two about dealing with long term debilitating pain and how to alleviate it.
                    I'm probably wrong

Comment

My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

I want to get some CBD, I am out because of my kid. Long story... Despite it being legal, hardly anyone has it. Its easier to find in Nebraska than Michigan, and weed isn't legal in NE.I had to get it at the sex shop last time. They are closed due to governor WHitler playing Lord Farquad. No marital aids for the people around here, they gotta order them from Amazon.. lol. I can get green stuff from a few friends, problem is I am not a fan of the effects. It makes me want to go find a girl and get her naked, which is expensive and has ended with me being homeless a few too many times, it also makes me useless.. I don't feel like doing anything, just a little bit helps with all the mental stuff, but doesn't do much for the pain I am having right now. Enough to make me not hurt leaves me starring at a quarter panel for hours without a single thought crossing my mind.

Its not an autoimmune thing, its more of a 'was worked too damn hard by the military' thing. Went to get a straight axle from a friend yesterday, man was that a rough time. The autoimmune things I have are kinda strange, like the burning sensation in my hands and feet I have gotten twice since the first war. It feels like I am on fire and the only thing that makes it better is VERY hot water, and the allergies which I have lived with my entire life.

The last thing I want is an opiate addiction, ok I suppose I would take one of those over being married again, so second to last thing.

I figure I should post why I can't walk right now.. I spent most of the summer getting these three things to where I could race or drive them if I wanted to. No reason to have them race ready, nobody to race around here. They all think 13s are fast on the street, and claim my Pontiacs won't even run a 13. They all talk big, but won't line up.

Comment

wait for nice weather.
                          I gave up on pain.. just live and die with it.

don't overwork it
                          Previously boxer3main
                          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Ended up in the ER, not sure if the VA will pay for it or not. 7 hours in there, two waiting to be seen, they gave me a shot of NSAID that is compatible with my maintenance one, and put me on a pack of prednisone. That was Thursday. The swelling has gone down, I can move again, but the problem still persists as to why it got so bad in the first place.The fun part? I couldn't do anything for 2 weeks and next to nothing for almost a month before that, and now I have over a foot of heavy wet snow out there on top of all the stuff I wanted to move before the snow. On the bright side it only wakes me up every other hour and I can sorta walk again. Might try to dig stuff out of the snow today, since the power keeps going on and off. Six times in the last 30 minutes.

I want to move somewhere with a stable grid and readily available ethanol that has places to go race and people to race against.

Comment

Move south. Seriously. The difference in how I feel, the amount of pain I'm in, what I can accomplish, is tremendous. Just moved to Virginia after 12 years in Wisconsin. I have gotten more accomplished in the last few weeks than I did in months before the move. Overall pain is WAY down, hip joint pain is up, but that's mostly because of drastically increased movement, time on my feet, and going up and down the basement stairs a couple dozen times a day. I've dropped about 20 pounds and 2 notches on my belt in about 6 weeks. It's still in the 60's and 70's every day.

Move somewhere warm. It helps.
                              I'm probably wrong

Comment

Working...
                              X