No announcement yet.

Anyone have remedies for pain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to move, problem is I can't swing more land yet.Not only that but land where I want to go is still priced too high. The only reason I stayed here was this land was cheap and I could do something with it. So now that I have invested in it, made it into something more valuable with a mind numbing amount of work, I need someone to buy it. Problem is, I need somewhere to go before I can get out of here. Its partly logistics, partly financial, and one thing everyone has to remember is it is only me doing all of it. If I could afford $500k for a chunk of land half the size of this one I got for less than $30k, I wouldn't be here. Living on a fixed income sucks, it means I have to trade time to gather enough money together to do things.

I've heard this particular thing many times before, sell the cars and stuff. There is a vicious feedback loop there. All the projects keep me going, wanting to endure everything I have to live with, get rid of the projects, get rid of the reason for living. Its really that simple. Then you have the problem that only two are worth more than $0-$2000, and $6k for all of the parts, cars and equipment isn't going to do much for me. A drop in the bucket. Now what I can turn all of those into with my time being spent in the shop instead of hobbling around, that is a sizable investment.

I am not stuck here by the cars, I am stuck here because living in an apartment, or in a small town where I can't do the things I like to do, would simply result in a large caliber projectile going through my brain stem. I can't be around people that much, I have had more than enough of busy body neighbors calling the city to complain about me having a toy in my garage. I am not as cordial and pleasant with people who are costing me money and time over stupid bullshit like I was in my 20s and 30s. The same sort of thing now, after enduring a world of shit on top of what came before, well lets just suffice it to say the result would probably make national news. You guys don't know that side of me, you only know the car guy side who likes to make people laugh and build cool stuff to drive.

I will not move to a place where I have to watch everything to keep some moron from stealing it, nor to a state that wants to deprive me of rights or tell me what I can or can't drive. Having a town or city tell me I can't build my shop or work in it, well, that should be obvious why I want to live away from places like that. Hastings Nebraska, where I lived for a while between my military time, was like that. You can't build that here, you can't do this, can't do that, if its on your property it has to have plates and insurance even if it doesn't run or is never driven on public roads. The problem is the weather here hurts me physically, and there is no reason to build fast cars here, because there is nothing to do with them, and the whole reason I stay alive is to build cars. To be honest I don't really give a damn about anything else.

The plus sides, its remote and I can go weeks without having to deal with or speak to another human, or even speaking at all. I have privacy here, nobody knows this place exists unless I tell them it does. The VA is usually pretty good, but I will be on my 9th Dr if I get a new one after the current one retires this week, the last time it was two years without a Dr. I can own as many cars as I want, do whatever I like to them, I can work on them, have the parts and equipment here, and the land is dirt cheap. The car insurance is stupid expensive, and I can't get my fuel close by, but I can make fuel from my land while only needing insurance and plates on the ones I am driving. Also it is pretty here, even with the foot of snow out there right now and the 20F temps.

Having some land in another state where insurance is cheaper, there is a reason to build fast cars, places to go, things to do, and people I actually want to talk to, that would make it better. Back home I have friends who I can help who will help me, not like around here where they all want from me but give nothing back. Just gotta find the right spot and have some stuff ready to go.. and it would be good to be able to walk again. Its getting better, but slowly.

Comment

I hear Milan Dragway has new owners and they're working on the 2022 race schedule.

Comment

I hear ya on wanting to be able to move painfree! Moved back onto the farm...
        have 39 years of collecting on that one acre in town. Value to others is minimal but go me, more. I’ve moved 1/16th of my stuff in 4 months.

Comment

I got that pain thing sorted out, discovered the glucosamine chondroitin actually works. Decided to stay in Michigan for now, build some cars, save up some cash, sell off some trucks and parts, then buy land back home. Better than spending how many more years building another shop and house then being in debt for the loans. Patience, do my thing while I can, make stuff run, drive, and haul ass, then retire back home and go racing for fun.

Its a good idea as long as the world doesn't go stupid around me.

Milan is a 11 hour drive from here, and I never leave Michigan. Its kinda big when you start in the north west and have to go to the south west, there is a big ol freakin lake in the way you have to drive around.

Driving to Indiana to pick up a 69 GTO took me 12 hours each way. Its only 14 hours to go back to Nebraska. I am half a day from anywhere here, which might turn out to be a beneficial thing.

Dad passed in 2020, and left me this. I brought it up here last summer. Needs some work, but its growing on me. Fun to drive even if its slow.

Comment

Those Cudas are hard to find. I know you're a Pontiac guy but I'd keep that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper73 View Post
              Those Cudas are hard to find. I know you're a Pontiac guy but I'd keep that one.
              I am its caretaker, its going to stay in the family for a long time. Its the first hotrod dad bought after selling his 426 wedge powered 64 Sport Fury in 67. He bought this one around 2012, flew to Texas to buy it, and drove it back. It gets driven all summer, and I plan to put EFI on it soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post

I am its caretaker, its going to stay in the family for a long time. Its the first hotrod dad bought after selling his 426 wedge powered 64 Sport Fury in 67. He bought this one around 2012, flew to Texas to buy it, and drove it back. It gets driven all summer, and I plan to put EFI on it soon.
                I've got pretty deep roots in Michigan and I think you're in the right place both physically and mentally. Keep rocking my Pontiac brother we can't be defeated.

Comment

I had a total knee replacement on November 10th, last year. I wanted to be laid up over the winter & hopefully be completely healed up by spring. Finally in August we asked to have it scheduled & they said that they would shoot for October. Because of covid limitations, it actually ended up being November. At 71, the recovery is much slower. Now I am at a point where I have a ton of things to do & I can not do things as I am used to or I pay for it the next day. My last middle east deployment it got so bad that the doctor told me it was inevitable. He also told my to hold off as long as I could because they do not last forever And you do not want to have to do it twice. Two cortisone shots last summer to make it last.,
                  ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

Working...
                  X