X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scott Liggett
    replied
    Re: Cell phone poll

Talking on the phone while driving my Impala is a waste of time from the noise and the fact it's a stick. Even on the freeway the wind noise makes it difficult to hear. My Caprice's auto trans makes it easy to talk and drive, but again it's noisey at speed even with the windows up.

Mostly, I'll answer my phone while driving the company car, an 08 Suburban because new cars drive themselves, right? :

Leave a comment:

• Rebel25A
    replied

I'm on call 24/7...so I get calls all the time when I am driving..no biggie...if you can't handle driving and talking on your phone then don't do it...I can multi task no problem...and I drive about 40K a year

Leave a comment:

• chucks73
    replied

Originally posted by grancuda
    We must have a bunch of Prius driving guys here, if someone calls and I try to answer it, I can't hear over the wind noise & motor in my truck and in my wifes truck I can't hear over the wind noise & tires. I don't think I could physically do it in my truck in town either because with a 3 on the tree and manual steering, I need both hands
    Agreed. Even if someone called me I can't hear the phone. ;D. And I need Both hand to drive a stick.

Leave a comment:

• Lobucrod
    replied

How about a poll on who argues with your wife while driving, or on who eats a big mac or burrito while driving, or who puts on make up while driving. (i hope none of the GUYS in here do that) I was driving down the road the other day eating a burrito and my cell phone rang. I looked at it and saw that it was my wife calling. I promptly went back to work on the burrito and called her back after I finished it.

Yeah I talk on the cell phone while driving but the traffic here in west texas is a little more forgiving that some other areas. I have also told people I would call back when traffic cleared or I got a chance to stop.

Leave a comment:

• 71SC/360
    replied

I guess I am just on the road too much and have seen to many stupid things that people do that are talking on the phone. My interests are not for or against cell phone use while driving. My interests lie in the safety of all of the innocent victims that are in the accidents caused by people that don't know their limits whether its using a cell phone while driving or driving drunk. It could happen to you or me. I just like the odds better when people are not on the phone...

Leave a comment:

• Huskinhano
    replied

I'm guilty of doing it sometimes but I really don't like doing it. I try to avoid it. If my wife is with me, I'll give her my phone to answer. If I'm by myself, I'll try to pull over. I don't call when I'm driving either. I should use my bluetooth that my wife gave me for Xmas.

Leave a comment:

• grancuda
    replied

We must have a bunch of Prius driving guys here, if someone calls and I try to answer it, I can't hear over the wind noise & motor in my truck and in my wifes truck I can't hear over the wind noise & tires. I don't think I could physically do it in my truck in town either because with a 3 on the tree and manual steering, I need both hands and we don't have any of that wireless ear plug junk. I really can't stand any of that stuff. People here at work are always walking around with thier little ear pieces on and talking, it is really annoying.

Leave a comment:

• KeithTurk
    replied

Point is your trying to legislate common sense... and frankly you can't do it...

The key to grouping tasks is the ability to prioritize each skill and the time devoted to it...

I think the average person can do that.... Obviously it would be stupid for me to say that everyone can... but it's equally stupid for someone to say that all people are limited because of a few incompetent folks...

hmmm

Keith

Leave a comment:

• 71SC/360
    replied

I don't think that's a good comparison. First off, as a pilot you have very specialized training that requires regular updates. A car driver has to take a one time test to show that they can identify stop signs, etc. What happens to guys that don't make the cut when it comes to being a pilot? As a driver, if you don't pass the first time you can continue to take the test until you do. I don't believe there are any limitations to the number of times you can try. How many of the millions of people that are currently on the road would you let fly any kind of aircraft? Let's be realistic here, not everybody that is above the age of 16 has the ability or apptitude to become a pilot but just about everyone that's above the age of 16 does have the ability to get a drivers license. IMHO that's like compairing apples to oranges. Just because one person is ok driving while using a cell phone, doesn't mean that everyone on the road is ok doing it. Stop and think about the people that you know or have known over the years. I am sure that you can come up with a handfull that you thought were absolute idiots. People that you wouldn't trust to change your kids diapers. Now, put them behind the wheel of a car and put a cell phone in their hand. Would you feel safe riding with them or having them aiming their 2 ton weapon at you headed the other direction? I am not trying to sound completely negitive about cell-ing while driving, I just personally don't think it's the safest thing to do. If you couple that with all of the people out there that spend their entire time on the road with a cell phone in their hand (and there are a lot) you can see that it can become dangerous...

Leave a comment:

• KeithTurk
    replied

I just have to laugh at some of this... Guys... wouldn't you consider flying an aircraft a semi critical task? Ya do know that folks have to talk on the radio all the time while flying right?

Wait it gets worse... they have to navigate by reading Map's... while flying, okay not so much any more but in my day it was all we had... We also had to talk, read that map, tune other radio's, wiggle sticks some more, Oh even if they ain't reading maps they are entering data... looking for bad guys... checking on the good guys... shooting stuff down range, ... so on and so forth...

You ever Really want to know about Task saturation .... try Flying at night with and Arab student in the pilots station ( me instructing from the co-pilots station) Using one eye to see through a night vision system that is horrid... and I'm in charge of 18 other aircraft while we throw bullets down range... not a biggie right.... in that seat, my left hand alone was responsible for 1026 possible switch positions... By the way... in a Helicopter you can't let go of the controls with Any hand for long... and never with your right hand... unless you cover the cyclic with your left....

Point being... it takes one hand and a foot to drive... Don't over re-act to folks that are incompetent drivers to begin with...

Keith

Leave a comment:

• 71SC/360
    replied

I've seen people doing worse things while driving but you don't see people reading the newspaper while you're driving everyday. The shear number of people being distracted on their cell phones while driving tells me that the ratio of accidents caused by people on cell phones has to be huge....

Now lets compare cell-ing while driving to drunk drivers...

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-doc062306.php

Leave a comment:

• IndyShiftman
    replied

I will if I have to but I do not like it. Nor do I like it when my wife does it. Especially when my daughter is with her. She knows it's something I can't stand and I don't think she realizes how dangerous it is. I bought a Blue Tooth ear piece for her to use over a year ago and she basically never took it out of the package.
    Damn woman won't listen. :
    Next time your sitting at a busy intersection, watch all the people drive by talking on cell phones. I bet you'll be amazed.

Leave a comment:

• miketblsr
    replied

Can you make another pole such as can you handle doing 2 things at the same time that require thought and concentration!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• KeithTurk
    started a poll Cell phone poll

Cell phone poll

yes
    0%
    no
    0%
    okay here you go... now you can vent and Vote...
Working...
X