Cell phone poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cell phone poll

My talking and driving has been reduced at least 90% since converting the car to a manual. Like Keith says:

Originally posted by KeithTurk
    Point being... it takes one hand and a foot to drive... Don't over re-act to folks that are incompetent drivers to begin with...
    Keith
    Some people can barely drive and listen to the radio let alone interact with something other than a steering wheel and pedal (see how many buttons manufacture's can cram on a steering wheel these days?). I think it was the other post on the same topic Rebeldryver said something like Driving is priority #1 and the people on the other end of the line occasionally get fustrated when asked to repeat themselves because driving required more attention at the moment. These two points are how I look at it. If talking is going to approach interrupting my concentration at the task at hand, then I simply won't be on the phone. I specifically make sure I am going the speed limit, or flow of traffic, and checking following distance, mirrors and lanes beside me continually while on the phone. All that takes priority over what ever the conversation is about. Unfortunately there are waaaaaaayyyyyy too many people who don't even comprehend that concept let alone do it.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY
      No way around it for me........but honestly is it any different that talking to the person next to you and/or using a CB
      My work recently banned all person cell phones onsite because of people talking and driving at the same time but at the wrong time. When they made the decision many argued trying to listen and talk on a static-y busy radio while driving was just as distracting or worse. Management agreed but had no solution to the radio problem so left it alone.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Don't likem will I'm driving cars to loud anyways and in the summer i like when people have to roll up their window when i'm next to them and I tend to shift just s littl late then normal ;D ;D.
        HRPT 2004LH 2007LH 2008

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
          Talking on the phone while driving my Impala is a waste of time from the noise and the fact it's a stick. Even on the freeway the wind noise makes it difficult to hear. My Caprice's auto trans makes it easy to talk and drive, but again it's noisey at speed even with the windows up.

Mostly, I'll answer my phone while driving the company car, an 08 Suburban because new cars drive themselves, right? :

Ditto....ain't no way I can use my cell phone in my Nova.........

all I keep saying is........what! what! what! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by bowtiemonster
            Don't likem will I'm driving cars to loud anyways and in the summer i like when people have to roll up their window when i'm next to them and I tend to shift just s littl late then normal ;D ;D.
            Say what?

Casual calls I will generally take while driving, business/customer calls on the other hand require mostly small talk until I can find a park.
            "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Keith, you are forgetting that you are trained at multitasking, with 10,000 hours of practice!!

Flying a helicopter is a learned coordination thing, is it not? I know from flying fixed wing aircraft, it's POSSIBLE to tell a guy how to fly an airplane and have him do it - and live. But there is NO WAY you can "tell" a guy how to fly a helicopter - inherently unstable, they require skills to be developed with training...

now, factor all the other crap you had to do, such that flying was what, 20% of the workload?

How many people on the highways, talking on their cell phones, can fly an Apache helicopter 20' off the ground at 130 knots and still have 80% mental capacity left over? .000001% of those drivers, MAYBE.

just my $.02
              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                Keith, you are forgetting that you are trained at multitasking, with 10,000 hours of practice!!

Flying a helicopter is a learned coordination thing, is it not? I know from flying fixed wing aircraft, it's POSSIBLE to tell a guy how to fly an airplane and have him do it - and live. But there is NO WAY you can "tell" a guy how to fly a helicopter - inherently unstable, they require skills to be developed with training...

now, factor all the other crap you had to do, such that flying was what, 20% of the workload?

How many people on the highways, talking on their cell phones, can fly an Apache helicopter 20' off the ground at 130 knots and still have 80% mental capacity left over? .000001% of those drivers, MAYBE.

just my $.02

Thanks dieselgeek. You expressed my thoughts exactally.
                "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

i'm with keith, you cant fix stupid, dont punish me because nitwits overload themselves.

evolution in action, the people incapable of talking and driving will eliminate all the ones incapable of talking and dodging.

i know i know, i am being insensitive again. cool huh? ;D

Comment

Keep in mind the students weren't always..... ahhh Bright or english speaking...

But the general idea of the post is that we're assuming ignorance... instead of assuming competence and punishing people without it...

So in my mind if there was a law... it would start with any deviation from normal driving procedures as a result of eating, cell phones, smoking, or other non driving duties could be punished by .... death... imprisonment... cutting off titties... whatever... but the rest of us that are "normal" would be allowed to continue until we exposed our inablity ... that at least assumes we have talent...

So many of our laws are written to the lowest common denominator...

Keith

Comment

I think I'm more careful when I'm on the phone. When I'm in the semi I always use an earpiece.

I just think people are bad drivers.

One thing I always find amusing is whenever there is a car load of people, the driver is the one on the phone.
                      Cognizant Dissident

Comment

Even tho they are the same thing, our cell phone is a "Mobile Phone" and the only reason that we have one is in case of an emergency while driving or maybe letting the kids know our ETA and, even then, it is the non-driver that makes the call. We never have a phone conversation while drivng down the road. Those conversations can be done from the land-line with beer in hand and butt on couch.

Comment

well they have done a study, females are much better at multi tasking, Men are not as good, I noticed my husband is not good at driving and cell phone talking, so I usually do that.....
                          I can talk on the phone, drive, and put on mascara at the same time ;D
                          So I think Men should be banned from cell phone usage while driving
                          and Females get to keep on talking ;D while driving and putting on mascara

Comment

Personally, I don't like phones, cell or landline. I carry a cell, prepaid, in case of emergency. The only reason I have it, I have a handicap child with many, many problems. The schools, and my wife may have to reach me in a hurry or I may have to call for help. Family and school are the only ones with my phone number.
                            I see people on theirs all the time while driving and most are doing fine, some on the other hand shouldn't have been given a liscence in the first place. I drive a major corridor into OKC to work every day. I've seen women putting on makeup, men putting on shirts and ties, people eating and yet to see someone screw up enough to cause an accident. A lot of what you hear, and the following is my humble opinion, it's the media making it seem there is a big problem and politicians looking to make a name by bringing in a new law. Very seldom do I hear of an accident happening near me caused by cell phone use or 'multitasking'. Most of it is from somewhere else in the nation. Its like the news is looking for a story bad to have to report on one from that far away.

Comment

It's not allowed on base, except with hands-free devices and I haven't spent the money on a bluetooth device, yet. But off base, I do talk and drive. I'm pretty good at multi-tasking, so I feel confident that it's not a problem. It's pretty hard to hear in my car though, so conversations are usually pretty short.

Comment

I bought a blue tooth, because at one time, I was on the phone non stop when real estate was selling, I didnt like the blue tooth, because people looked at me like I was talking to myself.....so its a waste of alot of money and sitting in a drawer, another thing, I use to Manage radio shacks years ago, and when the brain tumor scare came out, I remember Top Management told us to HUSH HUSH the talk of this, because we sold so many phones, to this day, I believe that cell phone usage does cause brain tumors, so a blue tooth signal constantly on my head, was not good, I ditched it.....

Comment

Working...
                                X