GM ignition modules?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM ignition modules?

I need a new ignition module for my 88 Suburban(TBI 350), i'd like to find one that lasts more than 20 minutes, even if I have to spend more on it. anyone have a suggestion? I plan to take this thing on some off the beaten path trips, so I need no nonsense reliability (even though I plan to carry a few spares)
    "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

1985 Pontiac Fiero, 3.5 V6 turbo, 5 speed
    1988 Suburban, 350 TBI 700r4, 4x4
    2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

find some used distributors, with original old OEM modules in them. They generally lasted a long time. But you still need some spares.

Better yet, get an older truck with point ignition, then you can fix it more easily (although you'll probably have to).

One of the very few times I've had to call a tow truck in the past few decades was when the distributor died in the 87 Suburban. I don't know if it was the module or the pickup unit, I bought a rebuilt distributor to fix it.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

ironically enough, I need the module for my 88 Suburban. While points are an option, to go that route would require me to ditch EFI, this truck is a driver, and there's really nothing like bumping the key once and driving off in sub-freezing weather.

Summit listed "AC Delco" modules, I bought 2, I have my doubts that they are anything like OEM modules, but we'll see.
      "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by ejs262 View Post
        I need a new ignition module for my 88 Suburban(TBI 350), i'd like to find one that lasts more than 20 minutes, even if I have to spend more on it. anyone have a suggestion? I plan to take this thing on some off the beaten path trips, so I need no nonsense reliability (even though I plan to carry a few spares)
        350? I can only find a 305 listed but..... AC Delco is primarily off shore product. I see you also have a v6 FIERO so you should be use to swapping out modules in the dark, in the heat, in the cold and in the rain! (Yes I own one) I use only Standard Motor Products RED BOX modules. USA production and they carry a replacement warranty. Also on any module use the proper grease NOT dielectric use Heat Sink grease.

Comment

go to the wrecking yard and harvest them.... I had this same problem with my '40 (which had a TBI on it). I'll look what the last one was because it seemed to have lasted longer - but harvesting from a you-pull-it is by far and away the best thing you can do. Also be sure the ground is good for the distributor and the chip - that will kill them instantly
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

You might look into DUI (Davis Unified Ignition). I used their stuff in my inline 6 Camaro with great success though that was an earlier system.

Dan

Comment

the other choice is remove the module altogether and replace it with a MSD 6A
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                This is what I’d do!

Comment

Originally posted by steve308 View Post

350? I can only find a 305 listed but..... AC Delco is primarily off shore product. I see you also have a v6 FIERO so you should be use to swapping out modules in the dark, in the heat, in the cold and in the rain! (Yes I own one) I use only Standard Motor Products RED BOX modules. USA production and they carry a replacement warranty. Also on any module use the proper grease NOT dielectric use Heat Sink grease.
                  Yep, the truck is an 88 with a L05 TBI 350, 0-60 measured with a calendar, but usually very reliable.

As for the Fiero, it doesn't have an ignition module anymore, it's fired off by 6 LSx truck ignition coils.

The module that's in there was installed as part of a whole new distributor before I left on my alaska trip last year. I'll have to look into the standard motor products part, thanks for the tip.

go to the wrecking yard and harvest them.... I had this same problem with my '40 (which had a TBI on it). I'll look what the last one was because it seemed to have lasted longer - but harvesting from a you-pull-it is by far and away the best thing you can do. Also be sure the ground is good for the distributor and the chip - that will kill them instantly
                  the grounds should all be good, I had the engine out last year, and cleaned/tightened all the grounds when I reinstalled the engine and transmission. The problem with harvesting from the wrecking yards, is that there aren't many of the old TBI trucks in them anymore, or at least there wasn't last time I was there.

this is an option, the major downside, is that if the MSD fails, I might not be able to replace it on the side of the road/trail like I can with a stock module that you can buy at any parts store, or keep 10 of in the glovebox. I have had an MSD box fail before, that being said, it was an old school MSD-5, not a 6A or anything fancy.

2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

... this is an option, the major downside, is that if the MSD fails, I might not be able to replace it on the side of the road/trail ...
                    Two parts to this -
                    1. The newer Digital MSD6AL units have a connector on the side that ALL the wires go through so it is very easy to disconnect/replace the unit.
                    2. It is a pricey option to carry a spare. I have multiple cars that use the same unit so when I go on a "big trip" I carry one of the units from one of the other cars.

I have noticed (like all stuff) - the newer units do not seem to be as bulletproof/reliable as the older ones were.

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

Two parts to this -
                      1. The newer Digital MSD6AL units have a connector on the side that ALL the wires go through so it is very easy to disconnect/replace the unit.
                      2. It is a pricey option to carry a spare. I have multiple cars that use the same unit so when I go on a "big trip" I carry one of the units from one of the other cars.

I have noticed (like all stuff) - the newer units do not seem to be as bulletproof/reliable as the older ones were.
                      When I said I might not be able to replace the MSD, I more meant that I can go to ANY auto parts store and get a new TBI style ignition module, you can't do that with an MSD, and that the MSD (relative to the stock module) is cumbersome to carry a spare(s).I definitely carry the stuff to do basic wiring repairs on the trail, and would be more than capable of hardwiring in a new MSD anywhere.

2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

... be more than capable of hardwiring in a new MSD anywhere.
                        That comment was meant as it is very easy to change out - downtime < 5 minutes. The only tool you need to get out is a screw drive to remove the 4 mounting screws from the vibration dampers.

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
                          That comment was meant as it is very easy to change out - downtime < 5 minutes. The only tool you need to get out is a screw drive to remove the 4 mounting screws from the vibration dampers.
                          gotcha, My reply wasn't meant to sound like I thought you called me incompetent.

I don't think I'll go the MSD route, mainly because I don't want to carry a spare, this old Suburban is a long hauler, and keeping a spares of single point failure parts is required for the places I've taken it! these three maps represent the road trips I took it on last year, not including all the DD action it gets, I put almost 11K miles on it last year!

2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

Cool trips.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
                              Cool trips.
                              Thanks, amazingly, the trip south to OKC was WAY colder than the trip to Alaska! I plan to take that old beast to 49/50 states, it won't go to HI, I've been there, and don't really feel like going back. So far, it's been to 12 states during my ownership.

2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

Working...
                              X