Laminated Side Glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laminated Side Glass

So I like a dumb-dumb forgot to cover the side glass on my Riviera when I was replacing the floor pans and now they are all pitted by grinder splatter. The good news is they are just flat pieces so getting new ones made isn't as complicated as something with a curve to it.

Since I have to get new glass anyways I was thinking about getting some laminated side glass to decrease the heat inside especially since I had to use a smaller AC compressor to clear the suspension.
    Pros
    • Less thermal energy and UV gets through
    • Less noise gets through
    • Won't blow out if it gets hit though being a pillarless hardtop with frameless glass I doubt the window seals would hold it in place if I got thrown into it in an accident
    Cons
    • Can't break it out with most glass breaking tools or kick it out easily
    • More expensive than straight tempered glass
    Any thoughts or experiences with the stuff?
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

laminated safety glass was used in most cars through the early 60s, then they went to tempered. I haven't noticed any significant pros/cons, aside from the fact that it's pretty easy to crack the laminated stuff if the channels etc are not in good condition. If the glass can move around in the channels, when you slam the door, it can crack.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I don't know for sure but I think the laminated stuff is thicker and might not fit in your channels. Worth looking into anyhow......

Dan

Comment

Laminated is 1/4", and tempered was 1/4" also until around 1980, when it got thinner (they figured out the extra weight was using more fuel, and not doing anything useful).

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

The One Day Glass folks do tempered laminated as well but it's around twice as expensive as the insulated. Guess it makes sense since they can cut the tempered glass to shape on the insulated unit using normal methods but it's notoriously hard to cut laminated glass of any type.
          Central TEXAS Sleeper
          USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

laminated safety glass was used in most cars through the early 60s, then they went to tempered. I haven't noticed any significant pros/cons, aside from the fact that it's pretty easy to crack the laminated stuff if the channels etc are not in good condition. If the glass can move around in the channels, when you slam the door, it can crack.
            Yep, you're probably right about it. You should understand that installation of sliding glass doors can be not so easy process, and you will definitely need some help from professionals. You should check out this ( site here: https://knockoffdecor.com/glass-doors-in-apartment/ ) to understand some basic aspects of such sliding door installation process, and be sure that everything would be perfect in your specific renovation case.
            Last edited by alan15NP; June 14, 2021, 01:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X