You guys should recognize this..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You guys should recognize this..

Sorry Bob, I didn't add subtitles to this one.

The latest/wintger project and the truth about who does the work.

Comment

This one isn't mine, its from 2017 when my family and Scott Ligget did the Tour Nebraska. The Cuda my dad left me is the thumbnail. Nebraska is a hotbed of gearheads, Scott has been downplaying it a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post
        Sorry Bob, I didn't add subtitles to this one.

Todd, you should be SO proud of this one. You made a car out of air and welding wire and did a lovely job of it. I'm proud just to know you! BTW - how do you like the Fitech? The Ez-EFI on the Volvo is proving problematic and I'm wondering if I should recommend to Dick that he make a change.

Dan

Comment

Thanks Dan, I have a couple that are worse than this one was that I am planning to do in the near future (unless the world goes to shit) but this one has been a very good driver.

The FiTech works pretty good, once I got the wiring sorted so the white wire had power when cranking, it started and ran great pretty much all the time. With the header leaks that are prone to Pontiac, it will over fuel when it sees its too lean, but on E85 it just costs you mileage. I could go out there right now in 17F weather, prime it twice let it sit for a few seconds so the E85 can vaporize a little, and it will fire up. Actually that could be a fun video to make since I have my boots on right now anyway.

If you mess with it you can screw it up, just like any other EFI or carb, but you can also make it run better if you know what to do and its limitations. I put a single plane intake on it last summer when I put the FiTech back on, didn't see much of a difference in drivability or anything over the RPM, but it fits under the hood much better.

My brother is putting one on his wife's 63 Dart GT ragtop, it has the slant 6 in it. He is not having fun, but he also hasn't worked with the new fangled EFI very much. I did quite a bit of EFI work in the 90s and early 00s. I used 3/8 steel for the pressure side, when I do another one I will use the nylon stuff like the OE's use, much easier to work with and run through the car. I use inline pumps mounted lower than the tank rather than in tank or the surge tank things they sell. Its been under there since 2016, had pump gas and lots of E85 run through it, and the ol Walbro 225 is working good. Its a bit noisier than in tank, but I can't hear it once its running.

Make sure its grounded to the engine and the engine is grounded to the frame/body, and expect it to run about like a carb but with better cold starting, and you will probably have a decent experience with it. I know Clark hates them, but he seems to expect it to do more than its intended to do. Mind you I put up with a lot when it comes to carbs, hard starting, rough idles, and basic hotrod stuff. I don't mind not having a choke on a carb, so the FiTech is a noticeable difference to a carb with no choke on an engine with a [email protected] or larger cam.

I'm thinking of putting the Sniper 4500 on my 79 Formula, it says 800 and up, but I figure running it on E85 will work with only 700hp. Then again.. those heads might end up with 540 cubes under them since I am now debt free for the first time since you guys met me. No idea how the small ones work, mine is the Mean Street, so it doesn't run the timing or anything and it has lots of room for tuning.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Todd, you should be SO proud of this one. You made a car out of air and welding wire and did a lovely job of it. I'm proud just to know you! BTW - how do you like the Fitech? The Ez-EFI on the Volvo is proving problematic and I'm wondering if I should recommend to Dick that he make a change.

Dan
            Dan,

Sorry to hear the ez-efi had not been easy. I can't remember is that TBI or multi port? Have you called Blueprint or Fast? I have had pretty good luck with the Holley Terminator X I put on the mustang, but I can see where it would not be happy with vacuum or exhaust leaks. They Holley has alot of "learn" built in so it will increase the fuel 50% so if the input goes bad, like an exhaust leak it will read lean and increase the fuel output by 50% Some say to lower the learn percentage after its set so when an input goes bad it can only adjust 5-10%.

Let me know what it's doing, I will see how my google due is working.
            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
            ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post

Dan,

Sorry to hear the ez-efi had not been easy. I can't remember is that TBI or multi port? Have you called Blueprint or Fast? I have had pretty good luck with the Holley Terminator X I put on the mustang, but I can see where it would not be happy with vacuum or exhaust leaks. They Holley has alot of "learn" built in so it will increase the fuel 50% so if the input goes bad, like an exhaust leak it will read lean and increase the fuel output by 50% Some say to lower the learn percentage after its set so when an input goes bad it can only adjust 5-10%.

Let me know what it's doing, I will see how my google due is working.
              It's TBI. It's how the engine came from BluePrint and my guess is that they never ran the engine with this particular unit (pretty sure they have a dyno EFI that they swap from engine to engine). We (meaning the dyno guy at Carolina Dyno) had to go to the full-featured ECU rather than the limited self-learn-only unit that the engine came with - we couldn't get it to idle properly. It still surges when coming down to idle and sometimes stalls but is much improved over the self-learn thing. Dick and I have been on the phone with BluePrint and with FAST with little improvement. All in all I'm not impressed.

The car crapped out on Dick the other day while he was driving around town and is at a shop being looked at. The tech seems to have an interest in sorting it out so we're hoping for the best. This tech thinks the EZ-EFI we ahve is much too big for that engine.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                It's TBI. It's how the engine came from BluePrint and my guess is that they never ran the engine with this particular unit (pretty sure they have a dyno EFI that they swap from engine to engine). We (meaning the dyno guy at Carolina Dyno) had to go to the full-featured ECU rather than the limited self-learn-only unit that the engine came with - we couldn't get it to idle properly. It still surges when coming down to idle and sometimes stalls but is much improved over the self-learn thing. Dick and I have been on the phone with BluePrint and with FAST with little improvement. All in all I'm not impressed.
                The car crapped out on Dick the other day while he was driving around town and is at a shop being looked at. The tech seems to have an interest in sorting it out so we're hoping for the best. This tech thinks the EZ-EFI we ahve is much too big for that engine.
                Dan
                Does it have an idle air control valve? My Holley has decay rates that can be adjusted. Doing so really helped.

I don't see how it could be too big unless it still running rich and the injectors are at the min open time.
                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                  Does it have an idle air control valve? My Holley has decay rates that can be adjusted. Doing so really helped.

I don't see how it could be too big unless it still running rich and the injectors are at the min open time.
                  The real answer is "I dunno". Randy at Carolina Dyno has been handling the tuning and I know pretty much nothing about the system.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                  X