supercharger history I didn't already know about

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• supercharger history I didn't already know about

We seem to be posting a lot of youtube here these days. Thought I might share this one because I learned a thing from it, despite thinking I already know everything.

Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

I knew this but cool to see a summary of the whole deal. I'd always heard of the Roots being used for mine ventilation but was somewhat aware of the blast furnace applications.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
      I knew this but cool to see a summary of the whole deal. I'd always heard of the Roots being used for mine ventilation but was somewhat aware of the blast furnace applications.

Dan
      I had no idea the twisted lobe was patented so very long ago... and hats off to Renault for the centrifugal, another surprise! By the time I had to work on any Renaults it was the "F*ing Fuego" as it was known in the shop.
      Last edited by Beagle; February 2, 2021, 05:38 AM.

Comment

I had a friend and coworker who bought a Fuego new and he loved it. But he had terrible taste in cars. IIRC, he usually had a loaner from the dealership.

Dan

Comment

I've waited a while to say anything, to see what direction the discussion would go. First, I really liked the video. Thanks for another great post Beags! It would be too assuming to assume that you stuck that video out there thinking, "peewee needs to see this video because he doesn't know squaddle about a blower even after he put one on his car." Well, thank you again. I'll go ahead and say I didn't even know the roots blower was named after some guy named Roots. That was a profound revelation for me and it got even more enlightening from there. That was a "wow" learning session and I think I want one of those electric blowers if they ever make one that'll fit on Red in less than a whole winter.

Now, let's discuss down the dirt road about if and how much an intercooler helps the whole physics cheating process. Back when it was hot Unit and I took Red for a joy ride and I romped him and was thoroughly impressed by how much he didn't go like he should. I told Superman about it and he said I'd better get that fixed before I take Red to land speed. Yeah, but wth could it be, so many things? A few days later I was poking around under the hood and found the intercooler reservoir plumb empty. I put some water in it and went for another unsanctioned test run and voila - there it is.

I told SM about that and he asked where the water had gone. Gee, I dunno, maybe it evaporated. Well, it didn't evaporate, it's got a leak. Somewhere, maybe in Alaska where I can't see it. I've found two drops on the floor in the garage and have no clue where it came from.
          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

I told SM about that and he asked where the water had gone. Gee, I dunno, maybe it evaporated. Well, it didn't evaporate, it's got a leak. Somewhere, maybe in Alaska where I can't see it. I've found two drops on the floor in the garage and have no clue where it came from.
            water or antifreeze? It gets cold enough here that you can't just put water in the air to water cooler ...

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post

water or antifreeze? It gets cold enough here that you can't just put water in the air to water cooler ...
              Radiator juice, coolant-antifreeze/water solution. I mixed it stout to start with. I've refilled it with a slosh of antifreeze and another time with a hit of water. It's a small system. The reservoir holds maybe 5 or 6 ounces. The reservoir is not an overflow catch can like on the engine radiator, it's where the discharge from the intercooler comes in and the suction to the pump (to the heat exchanger) goes out. You can take the cap off of it while it's pumping and watch the fluid doing its thing, swirling around.

Right now I'm only concerned it may drip at the starting line at land speed. I can keep pouring stuff in there faster than it disappears, I just wish I knew where it was leaving from.
              Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

There is black light visible stuff you can pour in there. Run it a while then check with a black light and it'll show the path. You might have to find the stuff online.

Dan

Comment

No Supercharger history (including this video) is complete without mentioning the development of the centrifugal supercharger by G.E. in the first decade of the 20th century, led by Stanford Moss. And to mention Harry Miller but yet omit Fred Duesenberg with his development of, and first use of a supercharger at the Indianapolis 500, including the first supercharged Indy win in 1924 is egregious!

Comment

Working...
                  X