Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to make money in bracket racing 101

Ok folks, I have a challenge for you.

Let's say someone wants to start up a Bracket Racing Series. Here are a list of questions I would like you to answer to help the racers and the Series promoters/managers get along and make money.

1) What classes would you offer to the racer to run in?

2) What payout would be acceptable in these classes?

3) What entry fee would be acceptable for each class?

4) How would you establish the rules for each class?

5) 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile??? (Give me some GOOD reasons for each!)

6) How often would you recommend races be held and what total number of races would be recommended?

Keep in mind, I would like to have answers that would benefit BOTH the track and the racer. Here is your opportunity to create a perfect blend that would attract racers and be lucrative for the racetrack. Remember, without each other, neither one will prosper.

Thanks!

Ron
    It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Re: How to make money in bracket racing 101

Come on Ron why bracket race when you can run heads up?! ;D

Comment

you should offer classes all the way up to 16 second cars..........thier are alot of regular street cars that love to bracket race that you could make some money on....
      Have a top dawg trophie run off for the fastest cars of the day for TOP DAWG.......
      Money offered for payouts depends on the number of cars that show up....
      no more than about 30 to 35 bucks to race....
      offer a gamblers bracket......where the money is split between the track and the winner
      you can have bracket racing and heads up at the same time, we do this in Michigan....
      My son loved Bracket and heads up, he especially loved bracket racing because it pitted driver against driver...and he was a great racer.....
      1/4 mile, most of the racers like the 1/4 mile run, especially nitrous cars ;D
      gotta have tire rules, most of the bracket racers will be street cars, so DOT tires

Comment

I'd like to offer constructive input, but I've never understood the bracket race mentality.

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
          I'd like to offer constructive input, but I've never understood the bracket race mentality.
          gives the slower guys a chance against the faster cars.....and if the faster car has a poor driver, to bad you lose......

Comment

Potential Points to Ponder

(1.) Insurance for the owner is considerably less w/an 1/8th mile track.
            ---------------------------------------------------------------

(2.) Policies re: (a.) Electronics and (b.) Sand bagging

Electronics and/or the standardization
            of sand-bagging as the expected norm
            eventually killed our interest in most
            bracket racing.

In the initial years of brackets, cars
            would be dialed-in at an e.t. that
            actually was within 1/10th (or less)
            of the car's optimistic "best". In
            those early years, the really blatant
            sand-baggers were nearly universally
            despised, & lost via forfeiture at some
            tracks. Fans didn't come to see brakes.

Drag racing dependent on techniques
            to slow the car down or not use its
            maximum potential is too paradoxical
            for lots of us. Driver skill being further
            stifled/neutralized by electronics at
            the starting line and replaced by braking
            "skills" at the finish line is not racing
            to us. We'd rather pop a crank in
            the traps than be on the brake pedal.

Point being, some % of us would not
            enter a car to participate, nor buy a
            ticket to spectate, if the track focus
            and pay-outs favored the sand-baggers
            and/or the starting-line electronics.

Good luck & HTH ---

Comment

I used to bracket race because thats all I was ever exposed to until I want to an OSCA race and ran in index class. Basically an index is a dial in that both racers are trying to run. The difference with this series is that there are no rev controllers or throttle stops allowed. The heads up part of the program is what puts fans in the stands. I don't care how well you promote a bracket race you will never be able to sell it like a heads up event. The biggest problem with bracket racing is that it is not fan friendly... Try explaning to your girlfriend why the guy that just jumped out of his car ripped off his helmet and slammed it up against his trailer even though he crossed the finish line first!!! The beauty of the OSCA format allows bracket racers to join in the action in the Open Comp and Pro comp classes.http://www.raceosca.com/index.html

Comment

Ok, I got some positive feedback here, but the majority seems to be negative towards bracket racing. Do you folks feel bracket racing is dying out?

Ron
                It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

It was like Disco,,,, it was dead when it started, we just did not know it.
                  2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                  First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                  2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                  2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
                    It gets the slow car the lengths it needs to compete with the faster car with out the lengthy negotiation that goes on on the street and pinks.

"Run what cha brung and hope ya brung enough", I like heads up as much as the next guy but let's face it all cars don't run the same. This way the guy without the cubic dollars can compete with the guy and his cubic dollars. "We all know speed cost money, how fast ya wanna go?"
                    Rich

sigpic

Comment

i say heads up (old school style) you guys that raced in the seventies know what im talkin about)

Comment

Back then it was cubic inch per pound. That was racing!!!!! Till Lee Shepard put a destroked, dedecked big block into ProStock. If they did not have that big block rule in SB/NA thats what I would have :'(
                        2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                        First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                        2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                        2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Why not ladder the cars? Use TNT as actual qualifying and match cars based on et and/or mph. That way you get bracket racing as a whole, but each pair is going to be running on nearly the same dial so it should result in essentially head's up racing.

Personally, I prefer index racing to brackets, but that wasn't your question.

Comment

Originally posted by Lil Demon

Personally, I prefer index racing to brackets, but that wasn't your question.
                            i see index racing gaining more popularity too. there are a lot of tracks that have a 10.0, 11.0, 12.0 classes now.
                            anyone should be able to build a 12.0 car now a days. leave bracket racing for they guys that roll in in their moms car.
                            Originally posted by TC
                            also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMcKC
                              Back then it was cubic inch per pound. That was racing!!!!! Till Lee Shepard put a destroked, dedecked big block into ProStock. If they did not have that big block rule in SB/NA thats what I would have :'(
                              We still call that Comp Eliminator.

Comment

Working...
                              X