Instead of Car Work......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instead of Car Work......

Been busy redoing the kitchen. The house was built in 1999 and they installed "builder's grade" (translation: cheap) cabinets. The cabinets were crappy to start with and were a bit tired, the flooring is dated, and the walls didn't seem to have been painted since the OEM builder's beige was applied. Time to take action - and I'm not getting any younger.

I foolishly didn't get any "before" pics but here's the cabinets stripped out. Note that they didn't even prime behind the cabinets. I know it doesn't show but somehow I find this offensive.

One wall:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0487.jpeg
Views:	187
Size:	757.0 KB
ID:	1287002

And the other: Not an imaginative layout, I know. Note the spiffy brace above the microwave. We wanted to keep the nuke functional during the project and this kept it in place until the upper cabinet was back in place to add support.

Name:	IMG_0488.jpeg
Views:	183
Size:	753.9 KB
ID:	1287003

And the cabinets going up. These are from a local shop called Discount House and they offer max value/$$ which we kind of had to go with or not do this at all. They'll also be providing the quartz countertops (not cheap but they don't stain) and the flooring folks will provide the new LVT (luxury vinyl tile) flooring that looks a LOT like stone but easier to take care of. I'll post pics as stuff gets done.

One wall: We opted for taller 42" cabinets on this wall to increase storage space - this kitchen isn't all that big. Notice the yellow walls. That's left over exterior trim paint from when we had the house resided but diluted 25% with white. Basically free, my favorite price.

Name:	IMG_0494.jpeg
Views:	176
Size:	722.9 KB
ID:	1287004

And here we stayed with the standard 30" tall cabinets so that ME can display some glassware and baskets that she like to see when she walks in. Today I plan to get the remaining uppers in place and start on the base cabinets.

Name:	IMG_0495.jpeg
Views:	179
Size:	710.4 KB
ID:	1287005

Nothin' fancy but a nice upgrade.

Dan

Looking good . A little bare but good .
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
      Looking good . A little bare but good .
      Oh we'll crap it up in no time!

Dan

Comment

Today's progress:

Base cabinets in on the sink wall. Lining up that little guy on the left of the pic was tricky as there's nothing to align him with but it came out well according to the long level.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0496.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	706.5 KB ID:	1287081

Overheads all up on the stove wall. The base cabinets go in tomorrow.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0497.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	680.2 KB ID:	1287082

Stay tuned.......
        Last edited by DanStokes; February 2, 2021, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Lookin' good.
          Last edited by oletrux4evr; February 2, 2021, 07:55 PM.
          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
          HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Wow! Nice, Very Nice!
            Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Thanks guys! It's coming along.

Dan

Comment

Looking good! Are any of the old cabinets finding their way to the shop?
                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                  Looking good! Are any of the old cabinets finding their way to the shop?
                  Nope. Habitat came this AM and took them to their Restore. The pick up guys said that whole sets like that go really quickly.

Dan

Comment

Today's progress:

Base cabinets on the stove wall are all happily in place. Pretty straightforward.

Name:	IMG_0499.jpeg
Views:	141
Size:	662.2 KB
ID:	1287169

I started working on installing the pulls. Shown here is the drill guide for the drawers. This works slick - make a center mark on the drawer front, align the center mark on the guide with the one on the drawer front, clamp and drill. I also have a guide for the left hand doors which worked great on my trial door. I'll make one for the right hand doors tomorrow and make a whole bunch of holes.

Name:	IMG_0500.jpeg
Views:	133
Size:	690.3 KB
ID:	1287170

Dan

Comment

after spending the last couple years doing my house, I dig that.

Comment

Kitchen Jewelry:

Today's task was installing the drawer and door pulls. They're brushed stainless and look sore of like pewter which we think is a nice look for a kitchen.

Positioning the pulls in the right place is the hard part of this job. I'd like to think I'd have thought of this myself but in truth I saw Norm Abram do this (though with more precision) on an old episode of This Old House. His drill jigs were much niftier than mine but mine worked adequately. I showed the drawer drill guide yesterday so here are the door guides:

In use, clamped on a door (it's a rework of the drawer unit):

And a shot of the inside (this is actually the other hand guide - it takes a right and a left). The corner is shoved tightly against the outside corner then clamped as shown above:
                        (The tape makes a minor adjustment)

And the hardware installed:

Other wall:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0504.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	688.2 KB ID:	1287225

Now we wait for the subcontractors......

Dan
                        Last edited by DanStokes; February 4, 2021, 06:16 PM.

Comment

That's really cool stuff Dan. I enjoy your workmanship posts because from this end everything looks perfect. Like your mailbox island out by the street. GYAH, who puts that much craftsmanship into a mailbox? Dan does.

Anytime I see cabinets I think about a friend of mine in SC. He's a millwright who got into woodworking big time. He spent a year and a half designing and building beautiful cabinets from scratch, in sections like you put it. His shop was big enough to just stack 'em up as he got them completed. He even changed the layout of the kitchen like on one of those house wrecking TV shows.

Demo Day finally came and he put it all in for the great reveal. His wife came in there and studied it, no gleeful ewwws and ahhhhs and OMGs like on the TV shows. She walked around looking at it all from this angle and that angle. She said, "Can you make this section about a foot wider?"
                          Last edited by pdub; February 5, 2021, 07:47 AM.
                          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

She'd be really wishing she had that foot after getting stuffed in it .
                            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

Anytime I see cabinets I think about a friend of mine in SC. He's a millwright who got into woodworking big time. He spent a year and a half designing and building beautiful cabinets from scratch, in sections like you put it. His shop was big enough to just stack 'em up as he got them completed. He even changed the layout of the kitchen like on one of those house wrecking TV shows.

Demo Day finally came and he put it all in for the great reveal. His wife came in there and studied it, no gleeful ewwws and ahhhhs and OMGs like on the TV shows. She walked around looking at it all from this angle and that angle. She said, "Can you make this section about a foot wider?"

This reminds me of a buddy who had his childhood dream home constructed on a lakefront piece of property in an upscale neighborhood. When the contractor roughed it in they realized that the entryway closet blocked the view of the lake from the front door. "Can you remove that?" Sure - for $500 (about $3400 today). No matter how carefully thought out your dreams are never quite the same once built. I try not to overthink stuff.

BTW - the mailbox thing was just to A) make a box that would stand if driven into and B) make a way to keep the drive up area mud free. It came out fancier than planned.

Dan
                              Last edited by DanStokes; February 5, 2021, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X