Instead of Car Work......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pdub View Post
    Demo Day finally came and he put it all in for the great reveal. His wife came in there and studied it, no gleeful ewwws and ahhhhs and OMGs like on the TV shows. She walked around looking at it all from this angle and that angle. She said, "Can you make this section about a foot wider?"
    Sounds like something my significant other would say. She wants something, I make something, she always...and I mean always has a "constructive criticism" or a "why didn't you"/ I finally told her if she wants anything made you know where the tools are. I swear it's almost as if she said anything positive she'd melt like the wicked witch.....I love her but, man, some days you just wanna poke her in the eye with a sharp stick....
    Last edited by JOES66FURY; February 5, 2021, 10:48 AM.
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post

Sounds like something my significant other would say. She wants something, I make something, she always...and I mean always has a "constructive criticism" or a "why didn't you"/ I finally told her if she wants anything made you know where the tools are. I swear it's almost as if she said anything positive she'd melt like the wicked witch.....I love her but, man, some days you just wanna poke her in the eye with a sharp stick....
      I'm sorry that's her situation. You can bet she was treated that way growing up and doesn't know how else to react. I know it hurts when you hear that criticism but try to keep in mind that she's just repeating what she heard. ME is SO thrilled with anything I do even if I can see flaws in my work. She'll sometimes ask "Why are you beating yourself up? It's wonderful just like it is."

Dan

Comment

I tried to patent a sharp stick button for phone calls with customers who wouldn't listen. Ma Bell said no.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Today I again got to prove the old cabinet maker's adage "You can't have too many clamps". I knew I was minimally equipped but I did get it together and the glue is drying - I'll paint it tomorrow once everything is stable. This is the shelf for above the stove side upper cabinets. That space will act as a display area for some pretty glassware and other things ME likes to display.

This shelf is 10'+ long and Lowe's doesn't have 1/2" plywood long enough to make this in one piece so I joined 2ea 11" wide rips at the ends (all joints are made with biscuits) then I edged it with a low edge so the shelf would stiffen and anything displayed would be unlikely to slide off, again biscuited on.

EDIT: I'll need to clean up before I paint!

Here's pretty much all my clamps in use:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Shelf.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.09 MB ID:	1287377

Dan
          Last edited by DanStokes; February 7, 2021, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Figure out a way to get her involved in helping you next time. Nothing big, just any little thing. Then when she has a constructive criticism ask her why she didn't think of that while she was right there helping?
            ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
              Today I again got to prove the old cabinet maker's adage "You can't have too many clamps". I knew I was minimally equipped but I did get it together and the glue is drying - I'll paint it tomorrow once everything is stable.

Dan
              I've got about 2 dozen cheap clamps ranging from less than a foot to two feet. Walmart has them for about $5 or so for the larger ones. They do alright clamping, until the end snaps off because they are just cheap plastic. Happens every once in awhile, but given they are 1/4 the price of most anywhere else, I just grab a couple anytime I'm there. I've got a decent stock and have started working in better quality ones and larger ones, but I still use those cheap ones all the time. It's well worth it to grab yourself a few until you build up the stock of good, solid ones.

I'm probably wrong

Comment

I almost never trade at Walmart - don't like their business practices. Occasionally I have no choice. I do HF from time to time and I notice that their stuff is getting better. I have a couple of their C-clamps which are acceptable.

Two of my parallel clamps are Jorgensen and MAN are they nicer to use than my 2 cheap-os (Great Neck IIRC). The bar clamps are Pony and they're nice too although one of the hand adjusters fell apart. If I was smarter I'd fix it but it still works and I never think about it 'till I need it.

When I hit the Lottery.........

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                  I almost never trade at Walmart - don't like their business practices. Occasionally I have no choice. I do HF from time to time and I notice that their stuff is getting better. I have a couple of their C-clamps which are acceptable.

Two of my parallel clamps are Jorgensen and MAN are they nicer to use than my 2 cheap-os (Great Neck IIRC). The bar clamps are Pony and they're nice too although one of the hand adjusters fell apart. If I was smarter I'd fix it but it still works and I never think about it 'till I need it.

When I hit the Lottery.........

Dan
                  Understandable, and I get it. Figured I'd throw it out there though. The more clamps I have, the more I use in woodworking. I still run out occasionally. My focus has been acquiring the larger, better manufactured ones so I have to go to the hardware stores for those now. Life is just that much easier with a large amount of them.
                  I'm probably wrong

Comment

Did some installing today. The shelf is up, secured, and loaded with ME's pretty glassware. She's feeling crappy today following her second Covid shot (that happens to some folks) so I installed the glassware - I won't be surprised if she rearranges it when she's feeling better thought she says she likes it as is.

I also installed the toe kick but even I'm hard-pressed to see it though it does smooth things out in that area.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0512.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	731.5 KB ID:	1287560
                    Last edited by DanStokes; February 9, 2021, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Looking good!
                      I'm probably wrong

Comment

Updates as promised:

A team came in and lickety-split here's the new counter tops in quartz. I think these ones look super stone-like and we're pleased. Not sure how well it shows in the pics but there's quite a bit of brown in the material and the old, transplanted sink seems to fit right in. It's just sitting in the hole for now. While I'd usually do the plumbing we'll have to find a plumber as I recover from the operation (see other post). Now we just have to wait for the floors which arrive next Tuesday.

Sliders under the stove get tucked in once the floors are installed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0525.jpeg
Views:	86
Size:	627.2 KB
ID:	1288232

Name:	IMG_0526.jpeg
Views:	82
Size:	647.2 KB
ID:	1288233
                        Dan

Comment

Ugh, I need to do the same thing in my kitchen...I dont want to...but I need to...
                          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Ugh, I need to do the same thing in my kitchen...I dont want to...but I need to...
                            I actually enjoy these projects and it really feels good to see the results. I'm eager to see the new floor in place! We've found good contractors here in town so that makes it easier to do the bits I don't do.

Speaking of which, the sink is now replumbed and ready to go. I cant tell you how weird it feels to have hired a plumber but we didn't want to go a month w/o sink while I heal up.

Dan

Comment

Grand Finale:

Flooring guys arrived yesterday monring and now everything is finished. Here's pics:

Name:	IMG_0527.jpeg
Views:	47
Size:	595.0 KB
ID:	1288695

And......

Name:	IMG_0528.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	658.7 KB
ID:	1288696

Nothin' to it.