Say Goodbye to LEARJET

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Say Goodbye to LEARJET

Just announced today, Bombardier is closing LearJet in Wichita, Kansas. Established in 1962, the LearJet became a household word by producing the ultimate personal business aircraft flown by celebrities, businessmen, and corporations. 1600 people will soon lose their jobs, never to return. For 59 years - LearJet was the world standard for luxury aircraft. No more.
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Total bummer. Their announcement included, "...as we navigate through the pandemic."

I saw a video a couple months ago that showed and talked about nearly all of the remaining 747's getting cut up for scrap.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Not good at all. Looks like Learjet has gone the way of the Duesenberg. What a mess the world has become.
      I'm probably wrong

Comment

Guess I'll have to order a Gulfstream.

Comment

Guess I'll have to order a Gulfstream.
          Just don't order an Embraer. Brazilian planes are no bueno.

I suggest a nice American made Beech King Air. Prop planes are cheaper any way you slice it, and only 100MPH slower.

Comment

Slower ?

Comment

You ever thought about how much time you waste WAITING when you fly on a big airline? There are thousands of flights over the US every day. 90 percent of them are business commuters. Fly out of Dallas to LA, then to Minneapolis, then to Kansas City, then back to Dallas. The next day it's Dallas to Atlanta, then to Boston, then to Cincinnati, then Dallas? Less than 70 passengers - not 700.

Airlines keep asking for planes seating hundreds, but they are all half full or less. The bean counters making the decisions want planes built to maximize profits on every seat. But they make real money with smaller planes. Airline execs are stupid. The answer is make a bunch of small planes - not a few giant ones. That's not how people get around.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
                Slower ?
                Than a Lear. 100 MPH is important when you're going 3 to 4 hours or so.
                I hate to see them stop production. I flew Learjets for 32 years and right at 5,000 hours. The Lear 35 will be the DC-3 of the business fleet. Fast, reliable, long-range and very aesthetic. Great best-in-class airplanes.
                Love the King Air too.
                Last edited by oletrux4evr; February 11, 2021, 05:18 PM.
                Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

I'm sorry to hear this though I wasn't anywhere close to placing my order. The sad part, of course, is the loss of jobs.

Dan

Comment

I'm sorry to hear this though I wasn't anywhere close to placing my order. The sad part, of course, is the loss of jobs.
                    The only bright spot is the service center will still be open to maintain and repair LearJets, and they are keeping the R&D department. That is very few people, essentially leaving LearJet a mere shell of its former glory.

My dad was an A&P mechanic out there for over 30 years, having started with them in 1963 about six months after Lear opened their doors. Dad actually knew the Old Man, and his wife Moya. I've known a bunch of good folks who worked there over the years, and it's a sad legacy to just let LearJet die.

Comment

Working...
                    X