School me on GoPro stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School me on GoPro stuff

I'm thinking of getting a small GoPro to keep tabs on things around the house. More like an investigative toy, not anything serious. Might come in handy in small spaces now and then, or watching things that need to be watched. Also, I'm a cheap bastard.
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

I'm on my third one. I got my first one so long ago that the monitor/playback screen and the waterproof case were both add-ons. They've come a long way, it's a good product. I'd say just get one and play with it. The way I use mine I just get it mounted up and tell it to go...it'll do ginzoodles of things, I don't even know what all it'll do to tell the truth.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

I have one of the cheapo "as seen on TV" versions which I haven't used yet. I lost my real GoPro by leaving it plugged in at my motel room in Blytheville then driving home. I called the motel and of course none of the cleaning staff had seen it (no surprise). So my GoPro rule is don't forget it - they're so small that it's easy to do. I haven't tried the cheap one yet but I should give it a trial before I go racing again.

Dan

Comment

Total noob here. What IS the cheapest one? What comes with one? What else do I have to buy?

Trying to find out on the net is useless, all the links just want to sell me stuff without informing me. Also, ain't got time to sort through all the YouTube vids.

Comment

I've got an 8, that was the smartest one going when I bought it. I see now they've got a 9. But it looks like you can still get a 7, probably for cheaper

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010881.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	1287857

I've collected a lot of mounting hardware over time, some came new, the windshield suction mount I had to buy separately. If you're going to get a new one, first download the owner's manual for it (GoPro.com) and see what's in the box and get a great feel for how it works. Short story is you get plenty enough stuff in the box to use it, my 8 came with a stick-on helmet mount I'll never use. I've got a roll bar mount in Red, I think I had to buy that separately. Tripod mounts, swivel mounts, playing with the connectors is 1/3 of the fun.

The model numbers generally indicate how smart they are and the 8 has stabilization built in, not sure which model they started having that. You can synch it to your smart phone, but I don't know to what degree. Superman was telling his camera to start and stop with his smart phone at one of the race tracks we went to and that was quite a few models ago.

Go to the GoPro site and start digging around for manuals. It's a "world" and after I learned how to turn it on I just started using it, but that's what I do. I never read directions but I used to write them.

Comment

The cheap GoPro like one that I have is a "COPCAM" as seen on TV. It's about a 3/4" cube, smaller than the Go Pro it was reverse engineered from (at least that's my guess) so you have to make your own mounts as the GoPro ones are too big (I had the cube shaped GoPro). The COPCAM is super light and I'm pretty sure you could successfully just tape it wherever you want it. As I said, I have yet to give it a test drive but on TV it does everything perfectly so it must be so! I need to fire that sucker up.

BTW - I did some searching and thru the TV ad you get 2 but have to pay twice as much (2 easy payments of $19.99, IIRC). I found it on Amazon @ 1 for $19.95 shipping included. I decided to start changing my life with just one.

Dan
            Last edited by DanStokes; February 12, 2021, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
              I decided to start changing my life with just one.
              Some years ago the Superman clan had a rabbit for a little while, they don't make such great house pets. SM strapped his GoPro to the rabbit and turned it loose in the house. Later on they popped some popcorn and relaxed in front of the big screen TV to see life from a rabbit's point of view. Up the stairs, under the bed, behind the toilet. Yep, there's no limit to what you can do with a little camera.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                I have one of the cheapo "as seen on TV" versions which I haven't used yet. I lost my real GoPro by leaving it plugged in at my motel room in Blytheville then driving home. I called the motel and of course none of the cleaning staff had seen it (no surprise). So my GoPro rule is don't forget it - they're so small that it's easy to do. I haven't tried the cheap one yet but I should give it a trial before I go racing again.

Dan
                If you have anything plugged in in a hotel room, put a towel in front of the door or on the door handle. It will remind you to take the phone/laptop/go-pro with you.
                Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post

If you have anything plugged in in a hotel room, put a towel in front of the door or on the door handle. It will remind you to take the phone/laptop/go-pro with you.
                  I thought if you were plugging in you were supposed to put a sock on the outside door handle!

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
                    I'm thinking of getting a small GoPro to keep tabs on things around the house. More like an investigative toy, not anything serious. Might come in handy in small spaces now and then, or watching things that need to be watched. Also, I'm a cheap bastard.
                    Hi Stu

A key point of GoPros is that it's all in one box, and you pay for high definition video, compactness / miniturization, and compatibility with lots of accessories. If you aren't snowboarding down mountains then dashcams are a budget alternative, and with an external / mains 12v power supply can run almost indefinitely. A reasonable dashcam will cost you from around $40 from Amazon; add $10 max for a 12v AC adapter and you are in business. You will also get a bigger screen for instant viewing.
                    Last edited by Red_Kitty; February 13, 2021, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the reasonable alternative!

Comment

If you are wanting a camera for surveillance, the dash cams that I have make about a dozen 10 minute files and then start overwriting the oldest one. There may be a way to rig a dash cam as a live camera and save the files to a hard drive but I don't know about all that...

Comment

That will probably work. I thought about buying a game camera (like for deer trails, etc.), but they are too pricy and too big. I am thinking small spaces....

Comment

Working...
                          X