Valentine's Day Weekend, Ryker's Rocker Cover Racer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valentine's Day Weekend, Ryker's Rocker Cover Racer

So my Son and Daughter in Law could get a way for the Weekend, I had my Grandson Ryker for the weekend.
    ​​​​​​After Child Proof-ing the shop, (as in a previous post, unplug all power tools) we started on building his Rocker Cover Racer for the coming Car Show Season.
    He had the choice of 3 Ford Inline Six Covers. I was surprised that he picked this 1952, 215 cu in (Ford's First OHV engine) over a late 70's Chrome 300 six! He said he wanted the "Green One".
    So, we then started the "Parts Safari" in Grandpa's NOS (Never Out of Style) parts room(s) Click image for larger version  Name:	KIMG1920.jpg Views:	17 Size:	688.6 KB ID:	1288057
    Last edited by Captain; February 15, 2021, 02:05 PM. Reason: Grammar

Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

This is the preliminary mounting of the "Great Finds" in the "Parts Boxes" to the Rocker Cover, as we are going to repaint it Green after drilling all holes and later mounting the axles under carriage. Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG1916.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	1288061

Not a "Rules Requirement", but made a "Emergency Disconnect" Switch. Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG1918.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	716.6 KB
ID:	1288062
      ​​​​​​
      Adding these items Ryker picked out and a couple that Grandpa had to find after a 3 1/2 year olds language barrier and pantomimes describing what he wants. He looks at Grandpa's parts and Rod magazines, here he was studying and coloring preparing for the Weekend. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200906_180025.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	1288063

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG1925.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	712.8 KB
ID:	1288065 So this is as far as we got, between his wandering attention to other things to get into in a shop full of drawers and doors to "I Seeing in Here".

Name:	KIMG1926.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	700.6 KB
ID:	1288066 ​​​​​​

I'm sure there's more he is going to want to add following another trip thru the Junk Boxes in the storage rooms.

Comment

Hot rodder in the making!
          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
          ​​​​​​

Comment

Cute kid! And yes, their little attention spans ARE limited.

Grandpa Dan

Comment

That is some seriously cool stuff! Major props to you for doing this with him!
              I'm probably wrong

Comment

Thank You All.
                For a 3 1/2 year old, I am amazed at what he has already picked up about Race Cars from the old mags, and parts catalogs, and TV.

It was a HOOT of his limited vocabulary and the pantomimes of a "Blower" he did to get me to replace the large black oil fill/ cover vent with that piece from a old "Tea Cup" tail light !!!

I will post upgrades of what we get done together on his future visits with Grandpa.

Comment

PART 2 .....

First I wanted to Edit the Subject Title. But I couldn't find out how....

It was a couple of busy days here now that the weather broke......
                  My place is half way Down from "Up North", and the rest of the family(s) living in Southern Wisconsin.
                  So my Grandson, Son, and my Dad were all at my house for a couple of days.

So Ryker's Rocker Cover Racer became a "Team Effort" out in my shop, between visiting, and catching up take a Virus does to families.

Giving Ryker a few "Hands On" things first;
                  As here, "Chasing Threads" on the axles made out of "Redi Rod" (All Thread for those in the trades) and some new "Appropriate Shop Language" for Ryker. "Why we doing this Grandpa?" ....BECAUSE storing Redi Rod, the threads Always get "BOOGERED UP".

Name:	KIMG1954.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	1289453

Comment

Then showing the "Little Future Felon" about drilling holes, brought out a center punch and hammer.......Me, this is a punch, and we are...
                    Ryker interrupted,.....but we are NOT TO PUNCH AT SCHOOL !!.......This is why things get Complicated while Grandpa is having coffee come out of his nose.....

Anyway we get onto drilling the holes for the Roll Bar.

Name:	KIMG1962.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	1289455

Name:	KIMG1959.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	1289456
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

With my Dad, and Son here also, it worked out to keep him "Occupied" during the exacting layout measuring for the axles and such.
                      Here's the crew before Lunch, a cookout as it was in the 50's

Name:	KIMG1971.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	737.1 KB
ID:	1289458

Comment

After lunch while Ryker and Great Grandpa took a nap, I finished off the axle locations and drilling.
                        Later We all got it up on the "New Wheels", and let Ryker give it some Test Run on the Shop Office Floor.
                        Now that everything is "Mocked Up", Grandpa will take it apart as Ryker "WANTS NEW GREEN ON IT". He is not "Keen" on the As Is Rat Rod Look.
                        So next visit he can learn the "Fine Art of Sanding, and Sanding Again, and Sanding Some More" before you even think about Primer !!!

Name:	KIMG1981.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	732.4 KB
ID:	1289460

Comment

Easily one of the coolest threads on BangShift. Subscribing.
                          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

And a Photo Finish to part 2 Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG1978.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	734.8 KB
ID:	1289463

Comment

Cap - If you got to the first post in the thread (so back when you started the thread) it will let you edit the title. A little trick it took me years to learn..... GREAT project!

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X