What I Did This Morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What I Did This Morning

Just to break up my kitchen remodel activities and shop work I decided to try out a different activity - hernia repair. They wouldn't let me do it myself (something about no amateurs in the OR - they won't share their tools) so I hired Dr. Harris to have at it. He's an experienced cutter and so far all looks well. The hernia was the result of a failed incision about 1 1/2" above the belly button, this from the removal of my ascending colon about a year ago. With all the physical stuff I do you know I'll find any weak place!

Anyhow, I'm back home and now it's just a matter of the belly muscle (solar plexus, maybe) healing up. I'm now sporting an mesh implant as well. He claims it was NOT a hunk of his old screen door but who can be sure? Regardless of the source he claims I'm not eligible for the law suits you hear about - oh well.

Seriously, all went well. Any recovery tips?

Dan

Glad you're all patched up and doing well! Recovery tips... Haven't had hernia surgery, but have had a few surgeries here and there. Biggest thing is don't push too hard too fast. You can do a hell of a lot of damage real fast. Stay within the bounds of your recovery schedule. Are you doing any kind of physical therapy, bedrest, anything like that?
    Last edited by tedly; February 16, 2021, 08:35 PM.
    I'm probably wrong

Comment

It's a bummer there aren't diy youtube video for that! glad you made it back hope you heal fast. Sounds like you asked all the right questions. I am no help on recovery other than if it hurts stop.​​​​​​
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
      ​​​​​​

Comment

My tip would be to don't do whatever you did that made you have your bird finger in a cast that time. Everything else will probably be okay as long as it weighs less than 5 pounds. Glad you're on the mend Dan! Oh, and try to keep the same doctor - it would take far too long to splain it all to another one.
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Ok , number one : stop telling people you got a hernia from a bad incision.......nobody wants to here that . You got your hernia the proper way lifting way to much . Like lifting a car off Bambi or something like that .That's basically how I got my belly button hernia about 10 years ago. Pushing cars , lifting pianos .....you know young guy stuff not stuff that old guys with thinning abdominal walls . I was quite the tough guy I took a vacation day on a friday to have it fixed and practiced off and on over the weekend to stand up straight to go in monday to work . Never told the company. Well , more stupid super human feats and now I've had two more for about 5 years years . One has finally matured enough that I'm thinking about looking into some of that flex- steel tape . When that doesn't work I'm going to have a doctor fix both at the same time and take a month of vacation. I'm not the idiot ( or though tough guy I was a decade ago . Do what the doc says ( probably no mare than 10 pounds for 4 weeks . ) I wish you well my friend .
          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Thanks all. I am following the docs suggestions and you're right - no more than 10 pounds for a month. Don't know how they expect me to be able to pee (the doc had heard that before). I'm not to drive for a week which is a real PITA for me - feels like my wings are clipped. Tylenol takes the edge off which is good as I won't take opioids unless I'm screaming and writhing on the floor - I'm not.

I was thinking somebody must have had a hernia repair but so far Dan's the only one with suggestions. Turns out both my brothers have had them but neither one told me at the time and now don't have much to offer other than "do what they tell you" and maybe that's all there is to it.

Dan

Comment

P.S. I have a mesh in me something around 10 years . Every once in a while , I think I may have felt it but really no problems .
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Something I have found is that Aleve can work really well in instances where Tylenol, Ibuprofin, and aspirin don’t. Naproxen sodium works by reducing inflammation. Inflammation goes down, pain is reduced and swelling decreased. This comes in handy after having my hand re-attached. I take it every day in the morning as a preventative measure. Catch is it interacts badly with with other OTC stuff, can’t remember if it’s Tylenol or ibuprofen. I’ll look it up and update.

Anyway, if Tylenol isn’t working well, give aleve a shot. Works way better for me than I imagined.

Edit: Looks like you're not supposed to mix Aleve, Tylenol, or Advil. Gotta wait 8-12 hours. Glad I looked it up.
                Last edited by tedly; February 17, 2021, 12:50 PM.
                I'm probably wrong

Comment

Thanks! I usually use Naproxen Sodium but they started me on Tylenol in the hospital so I stayed with it just because it was already in there. If it stops working I'll wait a while and switch.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by tedly View Post
                    ... Looks like you're not supposed to mix Aleve, Tylenol, or Advil. Gotta wait 8-12 hours. Glad I looked it up.
                    OH shoot! I have been taking the new Dual Action Advil (ibuprofen and acetaminophen) in the morning and a Tylenol, Aleve, and hydrocodone combo in the evening.

Comment

Get well soon. Lift with your legs next time! LOL.
                      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by tedly View Post
                        Something I have found is that Aleve can work really well in instances where Tylenol, Ibuprofin, and aspirin don’t. Naproxen sodium works by reducing inflammation. Inflammation goes down, pain is reduced and swelling decreased. This comes in handy after having my hand re-attached. I take it every day in the morning as a preventative measure. Catch is it interacts badly with with other OTC stuff, can’t remember if it’s Tylenol or ibuprofen. I’ll look it up and update.

Anyway, if Tylenol isn’t working well, give aleve a shot. Works way better for me than I imagined.

Edit: Looks like you're not supposed to mix Aleve, Tylenol, or Advil. Gotta wait 8-12 hours. Glad I looked it up.
                        I had hernia surgery (2 tears on each side) last September. The prescription pain pill did not work at all. So I went to alternating Advil (4) and then Tylenol (3) every 4 hours for the first few days and then dropped back to every 6 hrs for a few days and then every 12 hrs. Worked fine. The worst part was the constipation from the anesthesia. I had let mine go too long and they had to be repaired surgically and with mesh rather than arthroscopically or whatever they call the less invasive method. It took a good 6 weeks to feel healed and still numbish down there.
                        Good luck Dan - you'll be fine.
                        Phil / Omaha

Comment

Feeling better today. I switched to generic Advil and it seems to work better though I'm still moving carefully. We caught this early so it wasn't too bad though no doubt it would have been if I kept on working like usual.

Dan

Comment

Hope you have a speedy recovery...

I hear that a hernia op is not fun to recover from...
                            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                              Hope you have a speedy recovery...

I hear that a hernia op is not fun to recover from...
                              Hi Joe!

So far not terrible given my aversion to opiates. I expected a bit of pain but it's been tolerable. Hope all is well for you.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X