Goodyear acquiring Cooper tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodyear acquiring Cooper tires

Dont know how to feel about this. I was made sick to my stomach when Georgie II put Tariffs on steel and tires so our manufacturers could stay in business, then we find out that Goodyear was the number one importer of tires.

Wonder if Coopers are made here of if they will still be made here after this "transition" of if its just a way to keep Goodyears in warehouses while being more "American made".

I thought Dunlop (French) owned Cooper (and Kelly)... guess not

but anyway... translation of this
    It will also create a stronger U.S.-based manufacturer with increased presence in distribution and retail channels while combining both companies’ strengths in the highly profitable light truck and SUV product segments. The combined company will have approximately $17.5 billion in pro forma 2019 sales.

US Based means "managed in US, made in China"
    Increased presence in retail means "more union jobs lost"
    and finally, the only people losing jobs here are managers at Cooper Tire.

And finally, do we care? the only manufacturer to whom an eyebrow may be raised is Mickey Thompson.... which, like its founder, was all about bluster and not much about good.
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; February 22, 2021, 11:05 AM.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I just bought Cooper Cobra GT's for the "Whatever" project, and just went out to see where they were manufactured. Hecho en Mexico. At least North America. But yeah still not Acron OH!

Comment

As recently as the last time we drove thru between MI and NC there was a HUGE Cooper facility in Akron. No idea if they made tires there or if it was a monster warehouse. Anyhow, we'll see what happens.....

I just put a set of Coopers on the Ranger which is now in David's P's hands up in Waynesville, NC. Didn't think to look where they were made. I sent him a note about the Cooper sale in case it impacts the warranty.

Dan

Comment

saddest place I drive by is the Radio Flyer wagon company. Used to stamp, paint, assemble, ship from there. They have constant banners on their building for manufacturer of the year after they started importing parts from overseas and just do minor assembly now. They have to do something.

This is the work of some politicians, Go down south and free parts if the imports will "allow" the US to do menial assembly on their cars, while the 11 well paid jobs that associate with the production, engine parts, rims, stamping for hinges and body parts are all jobs that overseas keeps. I mean, it used to be 1 assembly line job supported 11, but now the robots do the majority anyway so maybe its 11 to a half a worker.

We can fix it, but nobody is interested in doing it. We want to mine our own coal, so we are not held hostage by China for not selling our dinosaur furnaces the coke it needs when we tariff their steel. And kids nowadays need college degrees to sit behind a desk and handle inventories?

These are the companies that need to be hit hard. The ones that keep manufacturing here need to get breaks since they are putting millions of taxpayers to work. Its really not that hard, just hope somehow the cooper plants that are running here keep running here. I was pretty sure that the goodyear race tires are made here and only absolute top end lines maybe. The rest are when the boat gets here.

Comment

I bought some Goodyear tires a few years back.
            The display tire in the loby/show room had Made In USA on it, so I bought 5 of them.
            when I was doing some maintenance on the truck, seen tires had Hencho en Mexico on them. IT was to late now to return them or
            ​​​​​​ B!+©][ to the dealer about them !!

Comment

The last 2 sets of coopers I bought sucked. One set just would not balance good and the other sounded like a rail car in the car,fixed with some Generals. Never buying them again. Couldn't be more disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by antmnte View Post
                The last 2 sets of coopers I bought sucked. Never buying them again. Couldn't be more disappointed.
                Great, I got a set of redlines for the '65 I was going to mount this year.

Comment

Goodyear bought Mickey Thompson tires, too....
                  What will happen to tires for salt racers?
                  Last edited by studemax; February 26, 2021, 07:06 AM.
                  Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

I run iron man tires, a division of cooper. I hope they don't go good year pricing on my 10 ply masterpieces
                    Previously boxer3main
                    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post

Great, I got a set of redlines for the '65 I was going to mount this year.
                      When you feel like you have a square tire on there you will know why. Watch the balancer carefully for out of round. Save yourself grief from trying to diagnose it.

Comment

Thanks Anthony ... do you ever visit the sunshine anymore ?

Comment

Goodyear is selling salt tires we have several salt racers here that go out to Bonneville, I like Cooper tires hope they keep the brand and the pricing.
                          Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
                          The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
                            Thanks Anthony ... do you ever visit the sunshine anymore ?
                            Steve,I want to. We had a trip planned last year but thanks to Chinese import it was canceled. Her parents are down there now and want us to come down but my Mrs dosent want to fly because of virus. If I go I will call you. We can go have a beer.

Comment

Working...
                            X