Knowing what you're looking at

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knowing what you're looking at

I was working on Red's racing seat today. By now he's got 4 different sized bolts holding the front seats in, and that's not spec. But they're in. I added the 4th size today. How can you take something apart and then later when you're going to put it back together the same bolts you took out no longer fit? I have no idea, I really don't.

But anyhow, Superman came over on a random visit to save the day again RE bolt sizes and threads, etc., and while I had him I wanted to show him where I had fixed the leak in the intercooler reservoir. I'm proud, I actually really did fix something without tearing it up worse. I opened the hood and he grinned and said, "I still can't believe we made all of that fit into there."

Three seconds later he said, "EWWWW you need to fix THIS, that's bad." What? "THIS."

Click image for larger version

Name:	Reds Hose.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	1288646

The steel elbow in the coolant line is touching the edge of the intercooler. Well, yeah, so? Well, so the elbow has already carved a little notch in the edge of the intercooler box from vibration. I would have never in my life known to ever look at or think about that, but SM saw it as soon as I opened the hood. I need to pull that elbow farther out of the end of the hose to stop that. I would have never known vibration could even do such a thing.

What else don't I know? Y'all don't even bother to try to answer that...

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Cut a piece of rubber and stick it in there for padding.
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
      Cut a piece of rubber and stick it in there for padding.
      This. ^^^^

It'll at least hold you over until you can re-do the elbow.
      I'm probably wrong

Comment

There, I fixed it. That's a mile wide gap, about three times as much clearance as there is on one of the pulleys on the blower's belt run.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hose fixed.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	1288706
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

no prophylactic rubbers?

*after pregnant pause*

I'm disappointed.

*which is what she said*
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
            no prophylactic rubbers?

*after pregnant pause*

I'm disappointed.

*which is what she said*
            GROAN.......

Dan

Comment

Experience is the name for learning about things like that rubbing tube, the hard way.

Also make sure no wires have a situation like that, where the insulation is rubbing against something.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Working...
              X