X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pdub
    replied
    Originally posted by Monster View Post

EDIT: regardless if you are using the stock seat or a race seat with head restraint, get a HANS device.
    Thanks for the reminder Steve, I just ordered one. I've been using the horseshoe collar for land speed, but...not if I hit the wall at Daytona. I should have already had a HANS, I will now.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by Monster View Post
    I know everyone wants to dump every dollar they can into the car, but one thing I never skimp on is safety equipment, because ... well, sh!t happens !

EDIT: regardless if you are using the stock seat or a race seat with head restraint, get a HANS device.
    they're required

2 piece v 1 piece. Ever seen a race track bathroom? okay, imagine you're exiting that double chili with onions hot dog you purchased at the gourmet restaurant attached to the track and the top half of your suit is now mopping the floor.... the other issue is exit speed. While you have to be able to exit your car in 5 seconds, often you need to be even faster exiting your suit because the facilities are 2.8 miles away from where they set up the course. Now with mask requirements, you have to do twice that because your mask is not in your car but in your tow rig....

and there is a third reason....

I get that onesies look more professional, but the more I think and read about it.... finishing is my only goal (perhaps make a new friend or two on the way)
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; February 27, 2021, 09:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• pdub
    replied
    I think I thought of another thing. If you're going with those stock seats shown in the first photo, a 5 point harness would be worth a few seconds on a road course by itself. Cinch 'em down until you can't mash any more cushion out of the seat. It makes you be part of the car instead of using the steering wheel to hold onto to keep your ass in place. Without a roll bar you'll need a shark bar as the mounting point for the shoulder straps, I bought one for Red but Superman made one for his Vette because he didn't want to pay for one.

The first road course I ever went to, they harped on getting a racing seat first if you want to upgrade the car to improve your times. Same thing in effect, but either or both you can't "wear" the car without a harness.

And brakes (ohhhh NO peewee's talking about brakes again). Brakes are exactly as good as horsepower and handing if the track has any sort of a straightaway on it. Okay, you can go faster than me but watch me swallow you at the end of the straightaway because I can go fast a whole lot longer than you can. Then we're back to even again, handling contest.

Leave a comment:

• Monster
    replied
    I know everyone wants to dump every dollar they can into the car, but one thing I never skimp on is safety equipment, because ... well, sh!t happens !

Leave a comment:

• Red_Kitty
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    School me on 3.2a race suits.... guess I need to get firesuited up (even in novice class)....
    some data points: I'm rarely cold (think - guy in shorts while it's snowing), I'm not a onesie wearer (however, if there is an advantage to them - I'm all ears)....

that said, preliminary review says suits start at about $300 and go up from there.... what makes the price difference? (not whether it's worth it, far more basic).
    A basic race suit can be had for under $150, and gloves for about $70. Racequip is a popular budget brand:

http://www.racequip.com/sfiautoracin...ayersuits.html

On the topic of 1-piece vs. 2-piece, I prefer the 2-piece because you can easily take the jacket off when it's warm and walk around / work in just race pants and a T shirt. With a 1-piece, you can roll down the top when out of the car but can't get rid of the material, so it gets in the way. Also, if you are an "odd" shape you can mix and match jacket and pant size with a 2-piece suit.

In theory a 1-piece is safer though, due to no possible gap between top and bottom.

Otherwise, beyond that cost comes down to the fire protection level, and the higher rated suits are thicker / multi-layer and more restrictive (and warmer) to wear. I have a 3.2A1 single layer jacket and a 3.2A5 multi-layer jacket, and the second one is significantly heavier and hotter to wear - A1 is like a light cotton windbreaker where A5 is like a padded winter jacket.

Click image for larger version

Name:	27639.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	289.6 KB
ID:	1288952Click image for larger version

Name:	b0db5ad37b0f7f13b9e9353d5377fe7c.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	1288953
    Last edited by Red_Kitty; February 27, 2021, 08:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by pdub View Post

I guess all I can think of to offer in real time is, if you make more than one run on a road course, check/tighten the lug nuts between runs after the wheels cool off some. Yes, they DO come loose if you're pounding the car hard enough and get the wheels hot enough.
    lug nuts, check!

Leave a comment:

• pdub
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

as Mike said.... you compete in all.
    I guess all I can think of to offer in real time is, if you make more than one run on a road course, check/tighten the lug nuts between runs after the wheels cool off some. Yes, they DO come loose if you're pounding the car hard enough and get the wheels hot enough.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    SBG, I've done some brief searching on the Optima Challenge and haven't learned enough. I saw one thing that said rally/road course/autocross. What genre will you be competing in?
    as Mike said.... you compete in all. Nice thing about Optima, though, is you don't have to compete in more than 1 event to be competitive (granted, the more you do, the better you can do... ). A lot of other races, you have to accumulate points and the points winner is crowned champion. In Optima, you have 3 ways of getting the finals in Las Vegas.... score well in an event, score well cumulatively, or get a gold ticket (which is basically voting in)....

Leave a comment:

• mike343sharpstick
    replied
    SBG, I've done some brief searching on the Optima Challenge and haven't learned enough. I saw one thing that said rally/road course/autocross. What genre will you be competing in?
    You do them all in a 2-day event.
    You can watch all the events if you have the technology: https://www.amazon.com/Lightcast-com.../dp/B01MZ4IRKT
    Last edited by mike343sharpstick; February 26, 2021, 10:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied
    mine never broke, either...

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by squirrel View Post
    lots of LS motor cars going faster than my 427 powered Chevy II on drag week...which is fine with me...
    I don't care about position, I care about reliability.

Leave a comment:

• squirrel
    replied
    lots of LS motor cars going faster than my 427 powered Chevy II on drag week...which is fine with me...

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by mike343sharpstick View Post

It was OK, it was in KY and temps were like 105, so it was more work than play for me just to keep hydrated, had a couple small issues to deal with like constant brake bleading and figuring out tire pressure, so not much time to hang out and chat.
    Things that should have been worked out ahead of time...

That's where I learned that the stock front suspension, even my modified version, SUCKS. Had it worked better I may have gotten a bit more respect.... Shortly after that event I fixed it.
    I truly hope that it's minor stuff left. This is the best handling C3 I've ever owned or driven - and the best description I have for it is it feels and handles like a BMW 3 series or a Miata (and even more Miata-ish)... the car feels very light and very balanced.... I've driven a few C5/C6/C7 and it feels lighter than that.... which, in some cases it is, but it's a totally different beast.... I just hope the 427 does break my heart. Using the 'old tech' motor is one of those keys that I'm really in love with on this car - and I know there could be a sneer that I spent LS money to go slower.... which I hope not, but... we will see.

Leave a comment:

• mike343sharpstick
    replied
    And... Listen to "The Optima Search For The Ultimate Street Car Series Podcasts" on Itunes, good event and industry information, discussions about rules and why certain rules exist, etc.

Leave a comment:

• mike343sharpstick
    replied
    Originally posted by mike343sharpstick View Post
    Your plan is spot on, you will do ok, as your car is a good package for that series. Be prepared to see some stupid fast cars, the reason they are fast is due to years of development, so it will take time to get the car in the top third of the field from a new build.
    Murphy's law, take the car on a trailer so your car won't break,
    The single best thing you can do, which you have planned is time in the car! I'm sure you will do some adjustments on the suspension, and your brain to get the car's behavior figured out.

Also, find a place to practice the speed-stop challenge. It's WAAAY more difficult than it looks!
    Take some spare parts so you're not sidelined for an easy fix, like a coil, vavle cover gaskets, wheel bearings, etc.

The satisfaction of completing the event is worth the effort, and the door stickers peel right off and make great garage decorations that you will love to look at for years.
    If I were closer I'd lend a hand, please keep us posted.
    Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_1432x.JPG Views:	0 Size:	575.6 KB ID:	1288789
    It was OK, it was in KY and temps were like 105, so it was more work than play for me just to keep hydrated, had a couple small issues to deal with like constant brake bleading and figuring out tire pressure, so not much time to hang out and chat.
    Things that should have been worked out ahead of time...

That's where I learned that the stock front suspension, even my modified version, SUCKS. Had it worked better I may have gotten a bit more respect.... Shortly after that event I fixed it.
    Last edited by mike343sharpstick; February 25, 2021, 01:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X