replied

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    44 hours until I leave.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    I'm starting to see why people buy enclosed trailers. I was hoping that, because of the lateness in the year, that I could run to California in the dry. The forecast is not looking like that's going to happen - even worse, it actually snowed on part of the route. Ah well, it'll be an adventure, and if I could just miss 60 mph headwinds (like my March run), that would be good too.....

with that said, at the moment the weather soothsayers are saying Wednesday will be dry.... like they said yesterday would be dry. It snowed and dumped 3 inches of rain.. I really need a job with that acceptable level of variableness of result.....

at least most show that once I get passed Portland, it's dry...
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 21, 2021, 07:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• pdub
    replied
    My preference is to be there since I have no work schedule anymore and I "can." I went to Arkansas a day-day early this past time because I didn't want to have to drive in the rain on the day they started tech on the day before the race. That was nice, I got up on tech day and goofed around and drifted over to the track whenever I felt like it wasn't ridiculously early. That all worked out and it was a good thing because they were still teching cars after dark trying to get them all done.

We'll break the Daytona trip into two easier driving days and get there after they've started tech the afternoon before we run. If they won't inspect Red loaded down like Clark Griswald's station wagon I'll dump all the stuff off in our pit (garage) and hopefully have time to change the brake pads that afternoon without being rushed.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    conundrum.... realizing now that I can show up at noon on Thursday... I'll be there - without major problem by about noon, but I'm so well versed in driving to LA that I now wonder if I should go even earlier, stay at a hotel Wednesday night then arrive at the track pretty rested. Thursday is setup and tech, you can tech Friday morning but that's a huge rush that I'm done doing in my very limited experiences so far.

the conundrum isn't so much whether I can get there 'early' as it were but where to stay on the way.... or go with plan A, make it to the Weed Airport by 2 am, sleep until 5, be at the track at 1 ish (after food, and fuel stops). I've also done the Weed until 4, then a rest area either side of Sacramento for a quick nap...

I think, coming back, I'm taking the longer route (east side of the mountains) and enjoy the trip maybe even stretch to get back on Monday.... (usually I drop the hammer at 7 am and roll into my house at 1 am)...

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by Monster View Post
    I just love the helmet sticker !
    figured you would

Leave a comment:

• Monster
    replied
    I just love the helmet sticker !

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by pdub View Post
    Cool! So what's up with the cab and a half helmet? Is that where you stow the owner's manual for the HANS?
    Internal aero, very cutting edge.

Leave a comment:

• pdub
    replied
    Cool! So what's up with the cab and a half helmet? Is that where you stow the owner's manual for the HANS?

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    "safety stuff"

now with hooks

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    who knew? the most important tool for racing is a tailor's tape measure?

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    okay, checked.... 4/10ths in May, 2/10ths in June for Willow Springs.... Average temp though is 76 for may 86 for june.
    For Salt Lake City. 6/10ths for July and average temps of 90 degrees during the day (ugh)

so that's quite unlikely I'll wash away, but quite likely that I'll melt. Keep in mind that the average temps for this area is 60s for May, 70s for July.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by pdub View Post
    ^^^I LOVED that video!

The next question is, do the Optima folks run in the rain? If they do then you've got to consider tires.

All of the outfits I've run with keep going rain or shine but they note in Florida that they may call a pause if a really "bad" storm is coming through. I've always said I wanted the track to myself and one time I had it. It was raining but then it got into a torrential downpour. I was sitting there on the grid by myself at Road Atlanta.

The starter said to watch out, water ponds between the esses and Turn 5. I said I know, I've been here before and I've seen it. And he must have never seen it himself because it doesn't pond, it flows a river across the track right there. I pulled out of the pit road and learned right away you can't get much of a track rhythm going when you can't see past the hood with the wipers on high. Plus it's sort of a bummer to be sloshing around in that with the windows rolled down. I drove around the track at about 30 mph and pulled back into the pits. That was my only solo run ever on a race track.
    They do run in the rain, but I'm pretty sure the rain total for Willow Springs California is less then an inch a year. Salt Lake City is probably about the same.

I accept that I am a Novice and that there is no tire that will change that. I bought tires that should last this year and are rain-rated. They're not the 'wink wink, nod nod' 200 tread wear that the ones who place are running... they're a 320 tread wear (though there is an allegation that tread wear ratings are done by the manufacturer and aren't worth the rubber their cast into)...

That said, next year, some custom HRE wheels and 200 tread wear (wink, wink) tires are on my Christmas wish list.

Leave a comment:

• pdub
    replied
    ^^^I LOVED that video!

The next question is, do the Optima folks run in the rain? If they do then you've got to consider tires.

All of the outfits I've run with keep going rain or shine but they note in Florida that they may call a pause if a really "bad" storm is coming through. I've always said I wanted the track to myself and one time I had it. It was raining but then it got into a torrential downpour. I was sitting there on the grid by myself at Road Atlanta.

The starter said to watch out, water ponds between the esses and Turn 5. I said I know, I've been here before and I've seen it. And he must have never seen it himself because it doesn't pond, it flows a river across the track right there. I pulled out of the pit road and learned right away you can't get much of a track rhythm going when you can't see past the hood with the wipers on high. Plus it's sort of a bummer to be sloshing around in that with the windows rolled down. I drove around the track at about 30 mph and pulled back into the pits. That was my only solo run ever on a race track.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X