No announcement yet.

The road to Optima Challenge 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air control is important, It's amazing how much lift old cars produce. I assume you looked at the RideTech 48 hour corvette a time or two. A basic front and rear spoiler are relatively effective.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	mzV0DpPEZRYjPap.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	346.3 KB
ID:	1290516
    Last edited by mike343sharpstick; March 22, 2021, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mike343sharpstick View Post
      Air control is important, It's amazing how much lift old cars produce. I assume you looked at the RideTech 48 hour corvette a time or two. A basic front and rear spoiler are relatively effective.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	mzV0DpPEZRYjPap.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	346.3 KB
ID:	1290516
      this is another instance where I'm glad I'm going as a rank amatuer - I know it doesn't float at 137, and there really is no chance we're hitting anything north of that while amateur.

my question has even more question marks - the rules state there's limited stuff you can do to make it better aero. I know the outlaw class can do anything they want, but my understanding was the splitter would be absolutely no go and the rear maybe (with several conditions).

but... since you're here... teach me about brake fluid as it applies to Optima.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

but... since you're here... teach me about brake fluid as it applies to Optima.
        I'm pretty sure you'll need to have some. But don't ask me, most of mine gets sprayed on the right rear wheel.
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

I'm pretty sure you'll need to have some. But don't ask me, most of mine gets sprayed on the right rear wheel.
          maybe your Mustang is just marking its territory?

Comment

Would a pace car front spoiler knock you out of class?
            Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
              Would a pace car front spoiler knock you out of class?
              probably not, but the pace car spoiler isn't a splitter. And as a side note, the rear spoiler on mine is taller then a stock c3....
              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 22, 2021, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Just thought it might help with controlling the amount of air getting under the beast....
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                  Just thought it might help with controlling the amount of air getting under the beast....
                  C3 corvettes are bottom feeders - the forward facing grills are mostly decorative - and that's the aero conundrum the air turns and creates pressure under the front of the hood pushing more air up... not necessarily alleviates the problem and actually could make it worse*. The fix is use a 81/82 nose (which is why you see them on early C3s).. you know, the ant eater nose... if I were to really get clever, I'd make bottom doors that open at low speed but close tight at 40 or so mph because the front grills would be adequate at speed...

*there have been some interesting/clever solutions such as a shorter, thicker radiator, mounted vertically because the way the radiator is mounted (at an angle) only makes the problem worse
                  Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 23, 2021, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Brake fluid - I've been using a quality DOT4 from a newly opened container, keep it fresh.

Love the flapper idea!

http://driveusca.com/wp-content/uplo...0.6_final1.pdf
                    The highlighted text are changes for this year. So you can do the same stuff as C3 Vettes from last year unless you see some highlighted text that has to do with something aero related.

12.... GTS - any spoiler or wing configuration with a maximum of 6” tall from the highest point on the rear of the decklid or a maximum height of 4” above the lowest point of the rear window, whichever is less. The maximum width of the spoiler/wing must be no wider than the original panels of the car and must not extend more than 6” past the furthest point of the rear of the car. No wing may exceed 8” in chord length (front to back) at any point.

13. Splitters and wickerbillsSplitters are unregulated in all classes. Wickerbills will be allowed on any wing, however, the maximum height of any wickerbill is limited to ¾” from any mounting point and must be between a 45 and 90-degree angle to the wing. Wickerbills on spoilers will be measured as overall spoiler height.
                    Last edited by mike343sharpstick; March 23, 2021, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Brake fluid - I've been using a quality DOT4 from a newly opened container, keep it fresh.

Love the flapper idea!

http://driveusca.com/wp-content/uplo...0.6_final1.pdf
                      The highlighted text are changes for this year. So you can do the same stuff as C3 Vettes from last year unless you see some highlighted text that has to do with something aero related.

12.... GTS - any spoiler or wing configuration with a maximum of 6” tall from the highest point on the rear of the decklid or a maximum height of 4” above the lowest point of the rear window, whichever is less. The maximum width of the spoiler/wing must be no wider than the original panels of the car and must not extend more than 6” past the furthest point of the rear of the car. No wing may exceed 8” in chord length (front to back) at any point.

13. Splitters and wickerbillsSplitters are unregulated in all classes. Wickerbills will be allowed on any wing, however, the maximum height of any wickerbill is limited to ¾” from any mounting point and must be between a 45 and 90-degree angle to the wing. Wickerbills on spoilers will be measured as overall spoiler height.
                      fair enough, I can zip screw some sheet metal on (not going to happen)*. Of course, read what I wrote about the front-end-lift problem inherent in the C3s. I'm really hoping that by leaving the flat intake fully open and creating the lowest pressure possible behind the radiator that I don't need to get that creative... I'm also hoping I can get a moment to go flat out with this car before Optima - which is a challenge because nothing around here is paved, straight and closed. Another thought is close the area behind the lower lip and the firewall - thus forcing the air to either go up or out the sides.... but again, these are what people do to go from 98 to 99% not what people do who will get lost on the autocross course.

*goals: fly under the radar with an interesting car/setup, own dead last without a DNF. I know I can compete, but at this point I need to start at the bottom and work my way up... that's my goal this year, solid foundation (and maybe not get lost on the autocross course).
                      **next year goals: Outlaw, Wilwood Corvette Challenge, and any other of the rule-bending street car challenges like SCCA Solo events...

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                        what people do who will get lost on the autocross course.
                        That's the biggest truth going at my house. I've run through cones on a little bitty roundy round race track and that was pure fun as hell. I've also done some cones in great big parking lots and that's some form of sadistic frustration. It's just a sea of cones. Go ahead, walk the course if you think that'll do any good. In my case it won't. Some guys are more than just pretty good at it but I'll save that $25 entry fee for something else. Can't say I didn't try numerous times. What's fun is lodging one of the first cones underneath the car and then dragging it all the way around the parking lot, always somewhere in the general vicinity of the actual course. It makes a horrendous noise like you're destroying the car but it only deforms the cone most times.
                        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Pdub, I suspect that if you did that to a cone, it completely deserved such treatment by just sitting there daring you to hit it in a condescending tone.

Comment

In looking at that 48-hour Ridetech Corvette I noticed that the first pictures of that car had a stock-style front spoiler, then later it evolved to the full splitter.
                            Honestly, evolving a car by updating the weakest link, then looking for the next weakest link is what this silly shit is all about. I have changed so many weak links in my car, I'm surprised it moved down the road under its own power originally. Remaining parts on my car from on the 2009 power tour are mostly just the body shell and doors!
                            Last edited by mike343sharpstick; March 23, 2021, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Pdub, I suspect that if you did that to a cone, it completely deserved such treatment by just sitting there daring you to hit it in a condescending tone.
                              my ex-wife had a fixation with cones.... I'm sure the reason was because they're short and hit by pretty much anyone.... just like her.
                              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 23, 2021, 01:35 PM.

Comment

In looking at that 48-hour Ridetech Corvette I noticed that the first pictures of that car had a stock-style front spoiler, then later it evolved to the full splitter.
                                Honestly, evolving a car by updating the weakest link, then looking for the next weakest link is what this silly shit is all about. I have changed so many weak links in my car, I'm surprised it moved down the road under its own power originally. Remaining parts on my car from on the 2009 power tour are mostly just the body shell and doors!
                                I haven't even raced yet and this is true... for a laugh, go back to the start and what my plans were....

Comment

Working...
                                X