No announcement yet.

The road to Optima Challenge 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Way Back Before the Turn of the Century when I and my brother raced Short Track Stock Cars,
    One track, because of Urban Flight, Sub Divisions were built up around this one track, we all had to
    bring the exhaust noise down.
    We all went to these units called "Traps" bolted onto the end of the exhaust pipe, which could be easily
    removed for the next track.
    They were Stacked Stainless Steel Washers with spacers between each, kinda like a Rifle silencer.
    Actually they were Kinda Kool as they gave a Great Light Show, a Great Orange Pops when you let off at the corners,
    and then a Blue Flame again as the pent up fuel lit off on hard throttle in the straights !
    I'm sure they are still out there, maybe at swap meets. If anything it would be a Great RETRO Look.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain View Post
      ...We all went to these units called "Traps" bolted onto the end of the exhaust pipe, which could be easily removed for the next track.
      They were Stacked Stainless Steel Washers with spacers between each, kinda like a Rifle silencer.
      Supertrapp mufflers are still available - not sure how they would look/attach to a side pipe

Comment

would these fit?

Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

111 decipals. Good night , do you even have any baffling in those pipes now ?! That " sounds " painful .
          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
            111 decipals. Good night , do you even have any baffling in those pipes now ?! That " sounds " awesome.

there, fixed it for you.
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

you know, there might be an easier way.... square exhaust, more specifically square expansion chamber... it starts as a joke, but if I tied the tubes together, earlier, in the primary tubes, it would quiet it down... not before Optima... but maybe that might be the easiest solution...

...and for the old timers, yeah, square exhaust.... it's back

Comment

discussion of how I'm fixing this is on my build page

Comment

I've got it . It won't be the prettiest but remember the old bellflower exhaust pipes ? They came out like side pipes only behind the rear tire and went out to the bumper only outside the quarter panel . You just jam a bunch of glass pack mufflers onto the end of your side pipes and run them out the back past the outside of your back tires . Kind of a side piped glass packed chambered bellflower exhaust ! You could be the first ! Then the less muffling you need the more you can take off .

Please don't think I'm serious .
                  Last edited by Dan Barlow; April 19, 2021, 07:23 PM.
                  Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Please don't think I'm serious .
                    Has anyone? ever?

sorry, that was too easy. but what you suggest is something I thought about - and about running the reverse of an exhaust cut out - cross pipe, mufflers, back out the tip.... thing is there's plenty of room within the side pipe to do all sorts of things. Right now, that dual perforated cone thing - according to the eggheads, I can get a 16 db reduction with a 5" dual cone.... if that is true (IF) then that puts me even under the most restrictive limit.... what really kills me if the current 'muffler' is a perforated tube that's 40 inches long per side. That should be enough, but it's not and I'm not sure how to get it out to repack it...

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
                      111 decipals. Good night , do you even have any baffling in those pipes now ?! That " sounds " awesome.

there, fixed it for you.

^^ I don't know how to get fancy with more than one quote in a post. All I can say is more power to ya. I'm not in that club, but I've been exposed to it.

I'm sure I told the story here a long while back, Superman and I were joyriding on the Cherohala Skyway and we went over a whump-whump bridge and one of his Vette's pipes came off, muffler and all. We folded Red's seats down and wedged it in there for the ride back home, about 2 hours. He said his ears were ringing after that.

Sometime after that he put electric cutouts on it and had me test ride them. He opened those up and romped it and grinned at me, "Ain't it GREAT?" Well, great's not exactly what I'd call it but by all means carry on without me in the car. That's not me, I put earplugs in whenever I run the vacuum cleaner.
                      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

• Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

Supertrapp mufflers are still available - not sure how they would look/attach to a side pipe

https://supertrapp.com/shop-products...auto-s-c-elite
                        Here's the style we used. These are for Motorcycles, but I sure there is a Auto application out there, or modify these Click image for larger version

Name:	Trap Muffler.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	1292454

Comment

• Originally posted by pdub View Post

there, fixed it for you.

^^ I don't know how to get fancy with more than one quote in a post. All I can say is more power to ya. I'm not in that club, but I've been exposed to it.

I'm sure I told the story here a long while back, Superman and I were joyriding on the Cherohala Skyway and we went over a whump-whump bridge and one of his Vette's pipes came off, muffler and all. We folded Red's seats down and wedged it in there for the ride back home, about 2 hours. He said his ears were ringing after that.

Sometime after that he put electric cutouts on it and had me test ride them. He opened those up and romped it and grinned at me, "Ain't it GREAT?" Well, great's not exactly what I'd call it but by all means carry on without me in the car. That's not me, I put earplugs in whenever I run the vacuum cleaner.
                          yeah, I'm not sure what you did with that post and the quotes but it's ugly. LMAO.

Originally posted by pdub View Post
                          A quote will start with a bracketed QUOTE=, the username, a semicolon (;) and the post number. It will end with the / and function wrapped in brackets like /QUOTE . If you really give a rats patoot how to do it, I can PM with you to figure it out.
                          Originally posted by Beagle ninja editor Supremo
                          I don't think it even needs the post number.
                          Back at the thread, I think that's the musician coming out in you... and boy do I get it. I like loud but I don't care for super loud, particularly when so many dyno tests have shown that you just don't give up that much power (if any) with mufflers at the power levels most guys run. Rumble is good, hearing damage is not... but don't try to tell the internet that.
                          Last edited by Beagle; April 20, 2021, 06:29 AM.
                          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beagle View Post

yeah, I'm not sure what you did with that post and the quotes but it's ugly. LMAO.

I think that's the musician coming out in you...
                            Hmmmph. I'm not a musician, I'm a "player." I'm not a musician TWICE. Musicians can keep time (I can't) but they can't TELL time, as in what day/time is band practice (I can).

PM sent.
                            Last edited by pdub; April 20, 2021, 06:42 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pdub View Post

Hmmmph. I'm not a musician, I'm a "player." I'm not a musician TWICE. Musicians can keep time (I can't) but they can't TELL time, as in what day/time is band practice (I can).

PM sent.
                              man, it's the internet. If you can read music, know the difference in clefs, and can read a time signature, you're a musician!!

That quote deal gets tricky. I think the easiest way is to use the quote button above and copy/paste whatever from the post you want to quote in between the brackets. It won't look exactly right without work and frankly not worth the hassle, but it will have the "view post" pointing to the original post.
                              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beagle View Post

man, it's the internet. If you can read music, know the difference in clefs, and can read a time signature, you're a musician!!
                                Well that seals it airtight, now I'm not a musician FIVE times.

Okay /:[derail]end script java crap carry on with loud exhaust/

Comment

Working...
                                X