X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pdub
    replied

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
    111 decipals. Good night , do you even have any baffling in those pipes now ?! That " sounds " awesome.

there, fixed it for you.

^^ I don't know how to get fancy with more than one quote in a post. All I can say is more power to ya. I'm not in that club, but I've been exposed to it.

I'm sure I told the story here a long while back, Superman and I were joyriding on the Cherohala Skyway and we went over a whump-whump bridge and one of his Vette's pipes came off, muffler and all. We folded Red's seats down and wedged it in there for the ride back home, about 2 hours. He said his ears were ringing after that.

Sometime after that he put electric cutouts on it and had me test ride them. He opened those up and romped it and grinned at me, "Ain't it GREAT?" Well, great's not exactly what I'd call it but by all means carry on without me in the car. That's not me, I put earplugs in whenever I run the vacuum cleaner.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied

Please don't think I'm serious .
    Has anyone? ever?

sorry, that was too easy. but what you suggest is something I thought about - and about running the reverse of an exhaust cut out - cross pipe, mufflers, back out the tip.... thing is there's plenty of room within the side pipe to do all sorts of things. Right now, that dual perforated cone thing - according to the eggheads, I can get a 16 db reduction with a 5" dual cone.... if that is true (IF) then that puts me even under the most restrictive limit.... what really kills me if the current 'muffler' is a perforated tube that's 40 inches long per side. That should be enough, but it's not and I'm not sure how to get it out to repack it...

Leave a comment:

• Dan Barlow
    replied
    I've got it . It won't be the prettiest but remember the old bellflower exhaust pipes ? They came out like side pipes only behind the rear tire and went out to the bumper only outside the quarter panel . You just jam a bunch of glass pack mufflers onto the end of your side pipes and run them out the back past the outside of your back tires . Kind of a side piped glass packed chambered bellflower exhaust ! You could be the first ! Then the less muffling you need the more you can take off .

Please don't think I'm serious .
    Last edited by Dan Barlow; April 19, 2021, 07:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    discussion of how I'm fixing this is on my build page

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    you know, there might be an easier way.... square exhaust, more specifically square expansion chamber... it starts as a joke, but if I tied the tubes together, earlier, in the primary tubes, it would quiet it down... not before Optima... but maybe that might be the easiest solution...

...and for the old timers, yeah, square exhaust.... it's back

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    111 decipals. Good night , do you even have any baffling in those pipes now ?! That " sounds " awesome.

there, fixed it for you.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Barlow
    replied
    111 decipals. Good night , do you even have any baffling in those pipes now ?! That " sounds " painful .

Leave a comment:

• silver_bullet
    replied
    would these fit?

Leave a comment:

• cstmwgn
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain View Post
    ...We all went to these units called "Traps" bolted onto the end of the exhaust pipe, which could be easily removed for the next track.
    They were Stacked Stainless Steel Washers with spacers between each, kinda like a Rifle silencer.
    Supertrapp mufflers are still available - not sure how they would look/attach to a side pipe

Leave a comment:

• Captain
    replied
    Way Back Before the Turn of the Century when I and my brother raced Short Track Stock Cars,
    One track, because of Urban Flight, Sub Divisions were built up around this one track, we all had to
    bring the exhaust noise down.
    We all went to these units called "Traps" bolted onto the end of the exhaust pipe, which could be easily
    removed for the next track.
    They were Stacked Stainless Steel Washers with spacers between each, kinda like a Rifle silencer.
    Actually they were Kinda Kool as they gave a Great Light Show, a Great Orange Pops when you let off at the corners,
    and then a Blue Flame again as the pent up fuel lit off on hard throttle in the straights !
    I'm sure they are still out there, maybe at swap meets. If anything it would be a Great RETRO Look.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by pdub View Post

Red's got MagnaFlows so he hasn't been treated like some sort of delinquent hoodlum, but I've been around what you're talking about. At AMP they've got the db limit and that place is way far out in the yonder boonies of Dawson County. But there's one property owner within ten square miles. One. Not two, one. He even tried to make them not build the track but the noise limit was all he and his lawyer could win in court.
    Portland International Raceway is built on land bordered by Port activities on one side and and their international airport on the otherside, and was a housing development that washed away in the Davenport flood. The Feds bought the land and there is an actual, Federal prohibition of building a home anywhere near it. It's quite insane to even have a db limit, to be honest, but again. I'm not even annoyed - I got to see my parents. Racing will happen again next weekend. Think I'm going to put some miles on the car this week (it's glorious weather) ..

Leave a comment:

• pdub
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    humph. I went to PIR, they have noise limits.
    Red's got MagnaFlows so he hasn't been treated like some sort of delinquent hoodlum, but I've been around what you're talking about. At AMP they've got the db limit and that place is way far out in the yonder boonies of Dawson County. But there's one property owner within ten square miles. One. Not two, one. He even tried to make them not build the track but the noise limit was all he and his lawyer could win in court.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    humph. I went to PIR, they have noise limits.... 97 db noise limits. if you've been following along, you'll know that my noise at full song is 111 db. I didn't find out before I went but I'm so glad I did because I spent time with my parents - something that's been hard to do since I saw them a year ago....

but I have a problem to fix. Thinking a corkscrew with some steel wool as the first shot. I'm also not against injecting water to muffle the sound... I really need to be below 105 - from there it's arguable....

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    The challenge that is only me, or just never talked about.
    Shipping.

I know that likelihood of something arriving is inversely related to the likelihood it will show up on time. UPS, my rock-solid delivery company. 3 days later. Then another seller used FedUp (with predictable results).

Add to this, the UPS shipment had the wrong parts. Took 4 phone calls to get the right parts on their way and they might make it in time for this weekend. I'd love for my new differential to show but I know the part hadn't even been pulled - so rather then frustrate myself, I'll call them next week if it hasn't shown.

​​​​​​​
    *oh, and I'm racing very locally this weekend (by racing, I mean Ax). Did spend money at my local sponsor of the Autocross... was very pleasantly surprised to find his prices were very much in line with what I could buy online. You can be sure I'll shop there more often.
    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; April 6, 2021, 06:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain View Post
    Cone Course.......
    1st year Geometry Class......
    Shortest Distance Between Two Points....
    Is a STRAIGHT Line.........
    yes, but the fastest route doesn't kill cones. I got a kick out of shagging cones - especially when a car simply removed the cone from the course....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X