• Time
  • Show
Clear All

mine never broke, either...
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
      SBG, I've done some brief searching on the Optima Challenge and haven't learned enough. I saw one thing that said rally/road course/autocross. What genre will you be competing in?
      You do them all in a 2-day event.
      You can watch all the events if you have the technology: https://www.amazon.com/Lightcast-com.../dp/B01MZ4IRKT
      Last edited by mike343sharpstick; February 26, 2021, 10:40 AM.

Comment

SBG, I've done some brief searching on the Optima Challenge and haven't learned enough. I saw one thing that said rally/road course/autocross. What genre will you be competing in?
        as Mike said.... you compete in all. Nice thing about Optima, though, is you don't have to compete in more than 1 event to be competitive (granted, the more you do, the better you can do... ). A lot of other races, you have to accumulate points and the points winner is crowned champion. In Optima, you have 3 ways of getting the finals in Las Vegas.... score well in an event, score well cumulatively, or get a gold ticket (which is basically voting in)....
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

as Mike said.... you compete in all.
          I guess all I can think of to offer in real time is, if you make more than one run on a road course, check/tighten the lug nuts between runs after the wheels cool off some. Yes, they DO come loose if you're pounding the car hard enough and get the wheels hot enough.
          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

I guess all I can think of to offer in real time is, if you make more than one run on a road course, check/tighten the lug nuts between runs after the wheels cool off some. Yes, they DO come loose if you're pounding the car hard enough and get the wheels hot enough.
            lug nuts, check!

Comment

School me on 3.2a race suits.... guess I need to get firesuited up (even in novice class)....
              some data points: I'm rarely cold (think - guy in shorts while it's snowing), I'm not a onesie wearer (however, if there is an advantage to them - I'm all ears)....

that said, preliminary review says suits start at about $300 and go up from there.... what makes the price difference? (not whether it's worth it, far more basic).
              A basic race suit can be had for under $150, and gloves for about $70. Racequip is a popular budget brand:

http://www.racequip.com/sfiautoracin...ayersuits.html

On the topic of 1-piece vs. 2-piece, I prefer the 2-piece because you can easily take the jacket off when it's warm and walk around / work in just race pants and a T shirt. With a 1-piece, you can roll down the top when out of the car but can't get rid of the material, so it gets in the way. Also, if you are an "odd" shape you can mix and match jacket and pant size with a 2-piece suit.

In theory a 1-piece is safer though, due to no possible gap between top and bottom.

Otherwise, beyond that cost comes down to the fire protection level, and the higher rated suits are thicker / multi-layer and more restrictive (and warmer) to wear. I have a 3.2A1 single layer jacket and a 3.2A5 multi-layer jacket, and the second one is significantly heavier and hotter to wear - A1 is like a light cotton windbreaker where A5 is like a padded winter jacket.

Click image for larger version

Name:	27639.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	289.6 KB
ID:	1288952Click image for larger version

Name:	b0db5ad37b0f7f13b9e9353d5377fe7c.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	1288953
              Last edited by Red_Kitty; February 27, 2021, 08:18 AM.

Comment

I know everyone wants to dump every dollar they can into the car, but one thing I never skimp on is safety equipment, because ... well, sh!t happens !

EDIT: regardless if you are using the stock seat or a race seat with head restraint, get a HANS device.

Comment

I think I thought of another thing. If you're going with those stock seats shown in the first photo, a 5 point harness would be worth a few seconds on a road course by itself. Cinch 'em down until you can't mash any more cushion out of the seat. It makes you be part of the car instead of using the steering wheel to hold onto to keep your ass in place. Without a roll bar you'll need a shark bar as the mounting point for the shoulder straps, I bought one for Red but Superman made one for his Vette because he didn't want to pay for one.

The first road course I ever went to, they harped on getting a racing seat first if you want to upgrade the car to improve your times. Same thing in effect, but either or both you can't "wear" the car without a harness.

And brakes (ohhhh NO peewee's talking about brakes again). Brakes are exactly as good as horsepower and handing if the track has any sort of a straightaway on it. Okay, you can go faster than me but watch me swallow you at the end of the straightaway because I can go fast a whole lot longer than you can. Then we're back to even again, handling contest.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
                    I know everyone wants to dump every dollar they can into the car, but one thing I never skimp on is safety equipment, because ... well, sh!t happens !

EDIT: regardless if you are using the stock seat or a race seat with head restraint, get a HANS device.
                    they're required

2 piece v 1 piece. Ever seen a race track bathroom? okay, imagine you're exiting that double chili with onions hot dog you purchased at the gourmet restaurant attached to the track and the top half of your suit is now mopping the floor.... the other issue is exit speed. While you have to be able to exit your car in 5 seconds, often you need to be even faster exiting your suit because the facilities are 2.8 miles away from where they set up the course. Now with mask requirements, you have to do twice that because your mask is not in your car but in your tow rig....

and there is a third reason....

I get that onesies look more professional, but the more I think and read about it.... finishing is my only goal (perhaps make a new friend or two on the way)
                    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; February 27, 2021, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post

Thanks for the reminder Steve, I just ordered one. I've been using the horseshoe collar for land speed, but...not if I hit the wall at Daytona. I should have already had a HANS, I will now.

Comment

FYI, when I did it you only need the race suit for the road course events. For AutoX and speed-stop you only need your helmet. From the Optima TV shows it still looks to be the same. Not sure that makes any difference in you choice, but I just thought of that.

Comment

Thanks for the reminder Steve, I just ordered one. I've been using the horseshoe collar for land speed, but...not if I hit the wall at Daytona. I should have already had a HANS, I will now.
                          Originally posted by mike343sharpstick View Post
                          FYI, when I did it you only need the race suit for the road course events. For AutoX and speed-stop you only need your helmet. From the Optima TV shows it still looks to be the same. Not sure that makes any difference in you choice, but I just thought of that.
                          If I'm reading the rules correctly, you can do either - but watching the runs, it seems onesies are the most popular.

I need to get a new helmet since my current one is a 2010... which is another can of worms... open face or not....
                          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; February 27, 2021, 10:21 AM.

Comment

HANS .... there are choices, what works, what doesn't?

Comment

Here is some useful information on the subject. http://driver61.com/hans-device-buyers-guide/

Comment

HANS .... there are choices, what works, what doesn't?
                                I got the least expensive one I could find. "sale": https://www.murraymotorsport.com/car...int/hanshybrid

They sent a large instead of a medium and they told me to try it out before I sent it back and I did and I'm gonna keep it. The large is wider at the neck but it matches where the shoulder straps come through the seat. If it was narrower the straps would straddle the ridge that holds the straps in the right place to hold the HANS device in place. Uh, you DO have a racing harness, right?

I tried it out yesterday, I'd never had one on before. It's amazing how (well) it works when you get it rigged up and strapped in. The 20 degree version is for upright seating, they make others for laying down like on a kart or Indy car. When I first put it on I said no way, this thing is pushing on the back of my head forcing my chin down. But in the car it's a natural match. You can turn your head as much as you'll ever need to, but it stops your head from going forward past anything that is healthy. You mentioned you had to get a new helmet, I guess all helmets these days come with the threaded holes for the HANS strap anchor. I've got a 2015 and they are there.

I'm no authority. I got one yesterday, I tried it out, I like it a lot. I haven't raced with it but I like it ahead of time. Right away I could tell it's less to get used to than wearing a helmet is. Directly to your question, the one I got is the only one I've ever touched and it works and I like it. I can't address what "won't" work. I have no data on that.

Happy shopping!

Comment

Working...
                                X