No announcement yet.

The road to Optima Challenge 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess I got second in novice.... this was my best run.... for context. 41.00 was the winner, this run was 49.xx

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Well done, looks well planted on the road.
      Tim
      Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

You got it there and finished, great job. Was the acceleration where you wanted it ?

Comment

Man, that's GREAT!
          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
            You got it there and finished, great job. Was the acceleration where you wanted it ?
            no, most times I was late on acceleration in part because rookie but also because I need to work on tip in tuning (and the stiff throttle)

Comment

I may have said a bad word... but things got a bit interesting. It's the last run (of 5), I missed one run due to a brake line leaking....

Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 29, 2021, 02:29 PM.

Comment

lots of 'news' I've signed up on SCCA and signed up for my first autocross with them in Portland, Oregon on April 16. I had to 'class' my car, and I classed at Xtreme Street, XA... that is, barely disguised race car that looks like a street car (in short, I suspect USCA is cutting into their turf). XA class (more then 2750 lbs, rwd)

my result last weekend
                2 NOVCAMS 976 , Aaron Chevrolet Corvette 41.339 +2.235 +2.235

I see they classed me as CAMS... hmmm.... I'll have to fix that.
                The ride back was quite a ride. 65 mph headwinds (sustained), then torrential rain, then class 3 hurricane winds, then heavy, heavy snow - but the moment I went across the pass, it was still wet (though 10 minutes later, I bet it wasn't).....

I met a lot of really neat people. Funny thing, since I drive a Corvette, everyone told me about all the Corvette people and who I should know and talk to (who had Corvettes)...

I got to ride along in two, different cars - which was beyond cool. They have a great novice enabler (not sure that was her actual title), who went out of her way to explain all the overlooked things about how to do this successfully.

In other news, my tire went flat - but the good news is I have a 12v air compressor - so it was easy to fix.

I had a brake line leak a bit - tightened it up before my last run and it didn't seem to leak again.

There is that puff of smoke on right handers... that I need to fix

Dried the car off this morning.... it got soaked - thankfully nothing that won't easily dry - but before I drive in another rainstorm, I'm taping the gap at the sunroof - I don't blame astrotop... the windshield, at one point, had a good 1" of ice on it and then snow on top of it.

I don't know if I'll get another round in Spokane - Portland is the week before, but if I can. I will... neat people, neat place, nice 4x4 track... ;)

Comment

Sweet ! Looks like a blast . And a simple enough course that I don't get lost in .
                  Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
                    Sweet ! Looks like a blast . And a simple enough course that I don't get lost in .
                    and yet, I missed an optional section on one of my runs.... can't wait to get out again.... Didn't realize this weekend I could have done an open track day - ah well....

Comment

Cone Course.......
                      1st year Geometry Class......
                      Shortest Distance Between Two Points....
                      Is a STRAIGHT Line.........

Comment

Originally posted by Captain View Post
                        Cone Course.......
                        1st year Geometry Class......
                        Shortest Distance Between Two Points....
                        Is a STRAIGHT Line.........
                        yes, but the fastest route doesn't kill cones. I got a kick out of shagging cones - especially when a car simply removed the cone from the course....

Comment

The challenge that is only me, or just never talked about.
                          Shipping.

I know that likelihood of something arriving is inversely related to the likelihood it will show up on time. UPS, my rock-solid delivery company. 3 days later. Then another seller used FedUp (with predictable results).

Add to this, the UPS shipment had the wrong parts. Took 4 phone calls to get the right parts on their way and they might make it in time for this weekend. I'd love for my new differential to show but I know the part hadn't even been pulled - so rather then frustrate myself, I'll call them next week if it hasn't shown.

​​​​​​​
                          *oh, and I'm racing very locally this weekend (by racing, I mean Ax). Did spend money at my local sponsor of the Autocross... was very pleasantly surprised to find his prices were very much in line with what I could buy online. You can be sure I'll shop there more often.
                          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; April 6, 2021, 06:17 PM.

Comment

humph. I went to PIR, they have noise limits.... 97 db noise limits. if you've been following along, you'll know that my noise at full song is 111 db. I didn't find out before I went but I'm so glad I did because I spent time with my parents - something that's been hard to do since I saw them a year ago....

but I have a problem to fix. Thinking a corkscrew with some steel wool as the first shot. I'm also not against injecting water to muffle the sound... I really need to be below 105 - from there it's arguable....

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                              humph. I went to PIR, they have noise limits.
                              Red's got MagnaFlows so he hasn't been treated like some sort of delinquent hoodlum, but I've been around what you're talking about. At AMP they've got the db limit and that place is way far out in the yonder boonies of Dawson County. But there's one property owner within ten square miles. One. Not two, one. He even tried to make them not build the track but the noise limit was all he and his lawyer could win in court.
                              Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

Red's got MagnaFlows so he hasn't been treated like some sort of delinquent hoodlum, but I've been around what you're talking about. At AMP they've got the db limit and that place is way far out in the yonder boonies of Dawson County. But there's one property owner within ten square miles. One. Not two, one. He even tried to make them not build the track but the noise limit was all he and his lawyer could win in court.
                                Portland International Raceway is built on land bordered by Port activities on one side and and their international airport on the otherside, and was a housing development that washed away in the Davenport flood. The Feds bought the land and there is an actual, Federal prohibition of building a home anywhere near it. It's quite insane to even have a db limit, to be honest, but again. I'm not even annoyed - I got to see my parents. Racing will happen again next weekend. Think I'm going to put some miles on the car this week (it's glorious weather) ..

Comment

Working...
                                X