The road to Optima Challenge 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    I got my sparco onsie. now a neck brace and I'm safe!
    A onsie after all that consulting and shopping and logic. Well, don't eat the Mexican carryout between runs and get caught waiting in line at the track.

And a neck brace. A prison cell for your chin after asking about a HANS. My oh my I don't know what we're gonna do with you racing rookies, I just don't know. Tisk tisk tisk. And no photo of the costume either. I hope you didn't borrow your friend's uncle's dirt track racing helmet because I know a VERY veteran racer who used to be a Bonneville inspector who failed tech because his helmet was too old.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

• Originally posted by pdub View Post

A onsie after all that consulting and shopping and logic. Well, don't eat the Mexican carryout between runs and get caught waiting in line at the track.

And a neck brace. A prison cell for your chin after asking about a HANS. My oh my I don't know what we're gonna do with you racing rookies, I just don't know. Tisk tisk tisk. And no photo of the costume either. I hope you didn't borrow your friend's uncle's dirt track racing helmet because I know a VERY veteran racer who used to be a Bonneville inspector who failed tech because his helmet was too old.
      And Swap Meet Finds...."NIB"....are almost all EXPIRED .......
      But LOOK KOOL in your Wantabe Show Car Racer

Comment

• Originally posted by Captain View Post

And Swap Meet Finds...."NIB"....are almost all EXPIRED .......
        But LOOK KOOL in your Wantabe Show Car Racer
        At the land speed event this past weekend one guy came down the line checking safety equipment. Fire costume, helmet date. Check. At the inspection station another guy did two things. He checked the date on my harnesses, I've got new ones. Harnesses are now good for only two years from date of manufacture, with maybe some leeway per the event organizer's discretion. He checked my harnesses' dates and then he shook my new aftermarket Corbeau seat. Twice. Good to go, my car had been there numerous times and it's no purpose built rocket ship so he completed my paperwork. After I got back home out of curiosity I shook the seat. Man, that thing's....that's not entirely tight. Maybe it worked itself loose driving it 800 miles, I dunno.

The most meticulous point-by-point inspection I ever got was for autocross to go maybe 40 mph in a mall parking lot. That dude was serious and my battery wasn't tight enough. And my first time at Road Atlanta I was hoping I had everything just right to go as fast as I was ever brave enough to go down that back straightaway and I pulled into the inspection stall and the guy got behind Red and said, "Mash the brakes." Brake lights work, good to go, have fun.

At Daytona they wanted to see me torque the lug nuts, "When's the last time you checked them?" He stood there with a torque wrench on a table beside him, like this is the moment of truth Rookie. So I reached in the trunk and pulled out my own torque wrench and clicked on a couple of lugs and he visibly relaxed and let me go.
        Last edited by pdub; May 6, 2021, 06:18 AM.

Comment

At Daytona they wanted to see me torque the lug nuts, "When's the last time you checked them?" He stood there with a torque wrench on a table beside him, like this is the moment of truth Rookie. So I reached in the trunk and pulled out my own torque wrench and clicked on a couple of lugs and he visibly relaxed and let me go.
          3 ugga duggas and it's good.

I simply need a neck collar, but might as well spend a couple extra hundred to get something that survive past my first season. I've read the rules, thoroughly, and my out-dated-harness is just fine. Next year? no. This year, yep.

So far tech inspection has consisted of someone sitting in my driver's seat making vroom noises and a walk by (2 lanes away) by the tech guy. I expect Optima to be more onerous, but it meets the rules and that's really all I care about this year.... I've spent enough money... and in that vein, I didn't have to have a onesie - but I'm going to draw a line if they check the cotton content in my underwear so I figure that the suit will keep their further inspection of my undergarments to a minimum..
          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 6, 2021, 12:33 PM.
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

... but I'm going to draw a line if they check the cotton content in my underwear ....
            At least they haven't stated an inspection criteria for fecal matter to cotton content

Comment

I'm going to draw a line if they check the cotton content in my underwear so I figure that the suit will keep their further inspection of my undergarments to a minimum..
              The upcoming track weekend at Daytona is run by NASA (no, not the rocket science gang) and they "highly recommend" a fire suit but demand all cotton at a minimum. I've got all that so I'll for sure use it. I can see it already, here's a really little guy in a slow car with a fire suit and a HANS to go out there and get lapped by all the Corvette guys wearing gold chains. I've checked the list and I don't see any Ferraris in my run group so I won't be able to find out the answer to the nagging question, "Do leather driving gloves burn?"

Comment

• Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
                At least they haven't stated an inspection criteria for fecal matter to cotton content
                this is why they inspect BEFORE the race, smart folks, those inspectors.

Originally posted by pdub View Post

The upcoming track weekend at Daytona is run by NASA (no, not the rocket science gang) and they "highly recommend" a fire suit but demand all cotton at a minimum. I've got all that so I'll for sure use it. I can see it already, here's a really little guy in a slow car with a fire suit and a HANS to go out there and get lapped by all the Corvette guys wearing gold chains. I've checked the list and I don't see any Ferraris in my run group so I won't be able to find out the answer to the nagging question, "Do leather driving gloves burn?"
                I looked high and low for new balance driving shoes... I'm afraid I'm going to be disowned if I don't use extra gold chains.... I do have jorts, so at least I'll be mostly there for Corvette dress.
                Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 7, 2021, 06:49 AM.

Comment

• neck restraint purchased.... I think that was harder to do then buying a helmet....
                  let's list the choices:
                  - seat angle (not the angle of the seat but where your head is in relation to the seat... oh yeah, and the seat angle too)
                  - driver size
                  - car type - I hear that since Porsche drivers hit the wall tail first, they need a different device)
                  - race type
                  - seat type
                  - seat belt type

and then
                  - restraint height
                  - restraint helmet fastening system
                  - restraint fastening to body system
                  - HANS is both a brand AND a description
                  - material device is made from
                  - whether or not you have seat belt restraints (seriously?) yeah, there is a choice of how the seat belt is held to the device....

and finally
                  - Aquarius? okay maybe I made that up.... maybe.
                  - but even more fun? I get to do this again when I replace the seats with ones that actually keep you in the car.... I know, I'm the millionth person to complain about C3 seats, but I should get a prize for being the millionth
                  Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 8, 2021, 06:52 PM.

Comment

neck restraint purchased.... I think that was harder to do then buying a helmet....
                    Good grief. Where did you shop, California? The HANS causes cancer in California so you have to sign a lot stuff to get one there.

Comment

Good grief. Where did you shop, California? The HANS causes cancer in California so you have to sign a lot stuff to get one there.
                      all of this is for the little duckling portion of the event. All of it. You just have to wear the helmet for the stop challenge and the Autox.... that said, I'll need it eventually.... any road racing requires a HANS - and I'd like to try out the Corvette Challenge

Comment

any road racing requires a HANS - and I'd like to try out the Corvette Challenge
                        Ahhhhhh now you've made me smile from the inside, I like that. One of our presidents once said, "We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..." If you don't provide us with ongoing video from that we'll hunt you down like a dog and flog you unmercifully.

A lot of the "get out on the track" organizations like SCCA and NASA have a qualification process that you can go through to race for real if you really really can't stand not doing it and can afford a whole lot of track fees to get there. It took me more weekends than it should have to get me to the second level where you can piddle on the track without an instructor in the car with you. One of the criteria in one of the organizations (I can't remember which one) to keep moving up is they put you on the track with somebody else and you have to run whole hot laps side by side. One lap you take the inside and the next lap you swap and you take the outside. And don't slow down anywhere or you flunk and you have to try it again. Thinking that over was what made me decide that I like level 2 plenty good enough and I like my car even more than that.

I was at Road Atlanta one weekend when they had a points race, I think it was with SCCA. Brad Daugherty was there with a blown Cadillac. You could close your eyes and know when he went by, lots of vrooming mixed in with a hellaciously loud vacuum cleaner. That was cool. One time they all came down the main straight and went into Turn One three wide with Brad in the middle. GYAH. That's...you can't even do that, that's impossible. But they did it in anger and kept on going. That's when it finally dawned on me, they're "racing."

Comment

Ahhhhhh now you've made me smile from the inside, I like that. One of our presidents once said, "We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard..." If you don't provide us with ongoing video from that we'll hunt you down like a dog and flog you unmercifully.

A lot of the "get out on the track" organizations like SCCA and NASA have a qualification process that you can go through to race for real if you really really can't stand not doing it and can afford a whole lot of track fees to get there. It took me more weekends than it should have to get me to the second level where you can piddle on the track without an instructor in the car with you. One of the criteria in one of the organizations (I can't remember which one) to keep moving up is they put you on the track with somebody else and you have to run whole hot laps side by side. One lap you take the inside and the next lap you swap and you take the outside. And don't slow down anywhere or you flunk and you have to try it again. Thinking that over was what made me decide that I like level 2 plenty good enough and I like my car even more than that.

I was at Road Atlanta one weekend when they had a points race, I think it was with SCCA. Brad Daugherty was there with a blown Cadillac. You could close your eyes and know when he went by, lots of vrooming mixed in with a hellaciously loud vacuum cleaner. That was cool. One time they all came down the main straight and went into Turn One three wide with Brad in the middle. GYAH. That's...you can't even do that, that's impossible. But they did it in anger and kept on going. That's when it finally dawned on me, they're "racing."

I'm going to the Vintage Car Races at Road America May 14-16.
                          Above is the reason, I LOVE being a SPECTATOR !!!
                          And I can Enjoy ALL This "Perfection" while Having a Beer
                          (Funny Partisipants are NOT to consume Alcohol,
                          But They Always to stop to have Champagne, Shrimp Cocktail, Lunches
                          at the NOON Cannon)

Comment

Small steps on a planned route. That makes me happy. I'm not sure this is the Corvette that I want to throw all out on the track, but it will get me the experience then I'll buy someone's already prepped race car.

This makes me smile too... I remember this guy who came in playing a guitar and had a stock Mustang....
                            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 9, 2021, 08:35 AM.

Comment

• Patrick & Tammy
                              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I remember this guy who came in playing a guitar and had a stock Mustang....
                                I don't. That must have been a lot of things ago. Did I ever say that I love BangShift? If I didn't, I meant to.

Comment

Working...
                                X