No announcement yet.

The road to Optima Challenge 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool! So what's up with the cab and a half helmet? Is that where you stow the owner's manual for the HANS?
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

• Originally posted by pdub View Post
      Cool! So what's up with the cab and a half helmet? Is that where you stow the owner's manual for the HANS?
      Internal aero, very cutting edge.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• I just love the helmet sticker !

Comment

• Originally posted by Monster View Post
          I just love the helmet sticker !
          figured you would

Comment

• conundrum.... realizing now that I can show up at noon on Thursday... I'll be there - without major problem by about noon, but I'm so well versed in driving to LA that I now wonder if I should go even earlier, stay at a hotel Wednesday night then arrive at the track pretty rested. Thursday is setup and tech, you can tech Friday morning but that's a huge rush that I'm done doing in my very limited experiences so far.

the conundrum isn't so much whether I can get there 'early' as it were but where to stay on the way.... or go with plan A, make it to the Weed Airport by 2 am, sleep until 5, be at the track at 1 ish (after food, and fuel stops). I've also done the Weed until 4, then a rest area either side of Sacramento for a quick nap...

I think, coming back, I'm taking the longer route (east side of the mountains) and enjoy the trip maybe even stretch to get back on Monday.... (usually I drop the hammer at 7 am and roll into my house at 1 am)...

Comment

• My preference is to be there since I have no work schedule anymore and I "can." I went to Arkansas a day-day early this past time because I didn't want to have to drive in the rain on the day they started tech on the day before the race. That was nice, I got up on tech day and goofed around and drifted over to the track whenever I felt like it wasn't ridiculously early. That all worked out and it was a good thing because they were still teching cars after dark trying to get them all done.

We'll break the Daytona trip into two easier driving days and get there after they've started tech the afternoon before we run. If they won't inspect Red loaded down like Clark Griswald's station wagon I'll dump all the stuff off in our pit (garage) and hopefully have time to change the brake pads that afternoon without being rushed.

Comment

• I'm starting to see why people buy enclosed trailers. I was hoping that, because of the lateness in the year, that I could run to California in the dry. The forecast is not looking like that's going to happen - even worse, it actually snowed on part of the route. Ah well, it'll be an adventure, and if I could just miss 60 mph headwinds (like my March run), that would be good too.....

with that said, at the moment the weather soothsayers are saying Wednesday will be dry.... like they said yesterday would be dry. It snowed and dumped 3 inches of rain.. I really need a job with that acceptable level of variableness of result.....

at least most show that once I get passed Portland, it's dry...
                Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 21, 2021, 07:16 AM.

Comment

• 44 hours until I leave.

Comment

• Comment

• Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

• 22 hours

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                          22 hours
                          Hmmm, you'll have a whole day's head start on us over here but we'll be starting in different places and going to different destinations and arriving at different times for nearly the same purpose. What a hotrod coincidence. EDIT: Now, try to imagine what you'll forget with so much time to get ready. If you made a list, stare at the list and all of the items checked off of the list. Now, try to imagine, whatever you'll forget was something you forgot to put on the list. Better check the list again....

How do I come up with all of this to make you pull your hair out, you wonder. Well.....
                          Last edited by pdub; May 25, 2021, 10:41 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pdub View Post

Hmmm, you'll have a whole day's head start on us over here but we'll be starting in different places and going to different destinations and arriving at different times for nearly the same purpose. What a hotrod coincidence. EDIT: Now, try to imagine what you'll forget with so much time to get ready. If you made a list, stare at the list and all of the items checked off of the list. Now, try to imagine, whatever you'll forget was something you forgot to put on the list. Better check the list again....

How do I come up with all of this to make you pull your hair out, you wonder. Well.....
                            packing as you're loading solves this problem.... why? you're going to forget it anyway, so why waste time making lists of the stuff you're going to forget? adapt and overcome!
                            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; May 25, 2021, 10:51 AM.

Comment

• Good luck and have fun

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                                22 hours
                                You're looking forward to this a lot, I bet the weekend flies by, enjoy SBG.

Edit: i just looked at the times, a bit over 10 hours now!
                                Last edited by 65RHDEER; May 25, 2021, 11:13 PM.
                                Tim
                                Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

Working...
                                X