The road to Optima Challenge 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
    I well know the “work on until time to leave” thing. Very tiring and kills a lot of the fun factor.
    Hope you find a replacement soon!
    I need to remind everyone my goal was to get there. I did. I learned a tremendous amount and gained new friends. I would have loved to race (more) but even dead last was a win since the car was a brick the day before.

I didn't get a warm-fuzzy from FiTech today... I suppose that's one way to avoid bad news is to not participate in a Holley event? taking a deep breath, but my hopes they would step up .... we will see, but it's looking bleak.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• bought a refurb holley efi. hopefully it will be here asap.... but in any case, it should be here before FiTech tells me to pound sand....

Comment

• Pictures
        130ish mph, nice thing, not hitting the fender (front or rear)... bad thing, probably need bigger sway bars

the dragging thing underneath is my tow strap...

going away

Comment

• Where is the "Really Like Button"!
          Tim
          Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

• WOW, I'm totally surprised by my reaction to those photos. Y'all know I'm not the Corvette guy at all...that car looks twenty thousand times better on the track than it does on the trailer.
            Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

• That is a nice looking Vette....
              Phil / Omaha

Comment

• Herb Adams always went with soft springs and Huge(for the time) sway bars... Dick Guldstrand went stiffer on the springs and a bit milder on the sway bars... Adams also figured that Urethane bushings were too harsh for the street and preferred to use fresh factory rubber bushings...
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                  Herb Adams always went with soft springs and Huge(for the time) sway bars... Dick Guldstrand went stiffer on the springs and a bit milder on the sway bars... Adams also figured that Urethane bushings were too harsh for the street and preferred to use fresh factory rubber bushings...
                  old people.

huge sway bars and soft springs would basically make your independent suspension a solid axle.... why the bloody hell would you do that? all that complexity, all that weight, for nothing. drag racing, I love what Tom Bailey is doing on his 57 Chevy Wagon, it makes so much sense to use a solid axle on a dragster, but if you are going to turn and the road isn't perfectly flat, binding the A-arms together is lunacy. Yeah, I recommend Herb Adams suspension book, but that doesn't make him god.

Guldstrand is still being copied today... for good reason.

clearly Adams was going soft... plus, with solid axles and leaf springs; anything to make it softer would be better....

I'm beyond done with the poly v. rubber discussion. rubber is great for keeping Herb from procreating. Presuming for a moment that there is only one "poly" material. Rubber works when the joint must move in more then one direction (think Ford lower control arms). IF you have that problem, replace them with johnny joints (or simply use a softer poly). Aluminum is for racing, poly is for everything else.
                  Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; June 11, 2021, 09:50 AM.

Comment

• and while I'm on that rant

basic suspension rules:

1) springs are for defying gravity. They solely maintain the altitude of your car against the gravity that is pulling it down.
                    2) suspensions are for reacting to changes in how gravity is affecting the object when you decide to move it.
                    3) the best suspension joints move only in one direction
                    4) frames are for providing rigidity and shall not move.Frames are not a suspension component.
                    5) shocks are for controlling how your springs react to gravitational changes
                    6) bushings are not sacrificial. rubber is an anode not a bushing
                    7) square exhaust doesn't matter nor did Epstein kill himself.

someday we'll talk about how to make a suspension defy the Newtonian laws, but until we are all on the same page about those first 6... we wait.

Comment

• Awesome Track Pictures !!

Car Set Up is Like "Dancing"..........
                      We ALL Do IT Our Own Way !!!

Comment

Working...
                      X