No announcement yet.

But is it really a SBC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=SuperBuickGuy;n1288856]I say no.... you?

Here’s the 400ci Chevy from the ’70s. It was the best factory option to go big, but the largest displacement realistically possible was 434ci.

Prolly just a typo bit the 400 is pretty commonly taken to 454.

Click image for larger version

Name:	454.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	1288995
    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

[QUOTE=RockJustRock;n1288994]
      Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
      I say no.... you?

Here’s the 400ci Chevy from the ’70s. It was the best factory option to go big, but the largest displacement realistically possible was 434ci.

Prolly just a typo bit the 400 is pretty commonly taken to 454.

Click image for larger version

Name:	454.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	1288995
      you say that but to get 454, you have to move the cam up in the block....
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

To me, this is what typifies what is wrong with our hobby in general. As was mentioned above, those of us down here at the BS level don't have cubic dollars to invest in our rides, let alone just in an engine.I personally am more impressed with the guy who builds his stuff in his own garage, only farming out the stuff he absolutely cannot accomplish on his own. Here's what I have for an engine for the "Whatever": Click image for larger version

Name:	20201001_170319.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	962.4 KB
ID:	1289001 I call it Old Mangy currently. I'll rebuild it eventually, however it will run now, its just, well Mangy on the outside.

I've seen threads where people have started with less and spent next to nothing to get a decent runner, be it a 305, a 307, a 350, a 283, whatever they have. Now LS engines are getting old, and they make good power cheap. The Ford guys still use 302s and they are still available and affordable. And classic engines like the flathead can still be done reasonably, if you want to have less hp than a Honda! Don't get me wrong, I low the beat of the exhaust note a flathead makes. I gave my last 2 blocks away 4 years ago, knowing I don't have another build of one in my future (wellmaybehelp my brother and his son with the 59 A block I gave him almost 40 years ago). They have plans to build an A Phaeton on Deuce rails someday.

So at the top of the hobby we have the proshop built cars that cost not cubic dollars, but dollars to the 4th power. Then there are some really nice cars built with sweat equity and ingenuity, that won't put you in the poor house. I like them both, but I choose the latter for myself. Besides, for me its the time in the garage building as much as I can that's the draw.

Comment

I'll never understand why money ever enters into the conversation. Actually, not even sure why it's here now.

Comment

Maybe because it's not based on a SBC, but closer to an R07 with Nascar allowances for both bore spacing and budget? Honda sized journals in a roundy round motor SBC are one thing, but there is probably absolutely nothing on that mill that is actually SBC sized up to and including the lifter bores. The money thing comes in when a guy sitting at the club has to say "I've got a 600 inch SBC" and the ensuing pile of bullshit flags that are gonna get thrown.

It looks on paper to be closer to a 400 M Ford than any SBC I've ever seen... and let's talk about those heads.
            Last edited by Beagle; February 27, 2021, 08:52 PM.
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
              Maybe because it's not based on a SBC, but closer to an R07 with Nascar allowances for both bore spacing and budget? Honda sized journals in a roundy round motor SBC are one thing, but there is probably absolutely nothing on that mill that is actually SBC sized up to and including the lifter bores. The money thing comes in when a guy sitting at the club has to say "I've got a 600 inch SBC" and the ensuing pile of bullshit flags that are gonna get thrown.

It looks on paper to be closer to a 400 M Ford than any SBC I've ever seen... and let's talk about those heads.
              I agree, it had to be built for some purpose..... even if just to impress....

Comment

Hello bot, how are you today?

Comment

I don't know. I guess if it wasn't built by g.m. it isn't a SBC.
                  At this point it is splitting hairs. Same can be said about aftermarket blocks and heads with engineering never used on an installed at factory engine.
                  Last edited by 2020 mustang; September 23, 2023, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
                    I'd say it's close . But no .
                    I'd like to add ( 5 months later ) that I do like it . And if someone wants to sponsor me owning it , I'll call it whatever they want . But if I have to fund it it's going to be for that 632 ci 1000 hp 800 something torque actual BBC crate motor Chevy is selling.
                    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

If you put SBC parts in a Windsor, is if a SBC or a Windsor?
                      I’m curious as to why it is called a small block,

I was 15 when dad asked me to confirm his 60 Suburban was a big block. I said no. As 350 is a small block. He had a 348... I know better now.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
                        Hello bot, how are you today?

To the original subject, it wasn't a small block then, it was an odd hybrid with odd features. In 2023 if it identifies as a small block, it is one.

Comment

That's a big block, baby!
                          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                          HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
                            I'd like to add ( 5 months later ) that I do like it . And if someone wants to sponsor me owning it , I'll call it whatever they want . But if I have to fund it it's going to be for that 632 ci 1000 hp 800 something torque actual BBC crate motor Chevy is selling.
                            I think the manufacturer of the original motor kind of has the right to call it whatever they wish.... I still question when someone calls it a Hemi, BBC, SBC, BBB or whatever when the thing was built with only a slight nod to whatever the manufacturer did. It'd be like calling FGZ Taylor Swift because they both visit Maui.

Comment

and yes, that pot has been thoroughly stirred.

and pondering this.... why is it only GM motors and Mopars?
                              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; September 24, 2023, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

I think the manufacturer of the original motor kind of has the right to call it whatever they wish.... I still question when someone calls it a Hemi, BBC, SBC, BBB or whatever when the thing was built with only a slight nod to whatever the manufacturer did. It'd be like calling FGZ Taylor Swift because they both visit Maui.
                                AND we both look stunning in a neon pink thong.

Comment

Working...
                                X