Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dave.g.in.gansevoort
    replied
    To me, this is what typifies what is wrong with our hobby in general. As was mentioned above, those of us down here at the BS level don't have cubic dollars to invest in our rides, let alone just in an engine.I personally am more impressed with the guy who builds his stuff in his own garage, only farming out the stuff he absolutely cannot accomplish on his own. Here's what I have for an engine for the "Whatever": Click image for larger version

Name:	20201001_170319.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	962.4 KB
ID:	1289001 I call it Old Mangy currently. I'll rebuild it eventually, however it will run now, its just, well Mangy on the outside.

I've seen threads where people have started with less and spent next to nothing to get a decent runner, be it a 305, a 307, a 350, a 283, whatever they have. Now LS engines are getting old, and they make good power cheap. The Ford guys still use 302s and they are still available and affordable. And classic engines like the flathead can still be done reasonably, if you want to have less hp than a Honda! Don't get me wrong, I low the beat of the exhaust note a flathead makes. I gave my last 2 blocks away 4 years ago, knowing I don't have another build of one in my future (wellmaybehelp my brother and his son with the 59 A block I gave him almost 40 years ago). They have plans to build an A Phaeton on Deuce rails someday.

So at the top of the hobby we have the proshop built cars that cost not cubic dollars, but dollars to the 4th power. Then there are some really nice cars built with sweat equity and ingenuity, that won't put you in the poor house. I like them both, but I choose the latter for myself. Besides, for me its the time in the garage building as much as I can that's the draw.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    [QUOTE=RockJustRock;n1288994]
    Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    I say no.... you?

Here’s the 400ci Chevy from the ’70s. It was the best factory option to go big, but the largest displacement realistically possible was 434ci.

Prolly just a typo bit the 400 is pretty commonly taken to 454.

Click image for larger version

Name:	454.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	1288995
    you say that but to get 454, you have to move the cam up in the block....

Leave a comment:

• RockJustRock
    replied
    [QUOTE=SuperBuickGuy;n1288856]I say no.... you?

Here’s the 400ci Chevy from the ’70s. It was the best factory option to go big, but the largest displacement realistically possible was 434ci.

Prolly just a typo bit the 400 is pretty commonly taken to 454.

Click image for larger version

Name:	454.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	1288995

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by Barry Donovan View Post
    haha. caught some words in action.

people still make fun of the 305.

I am still driving one at 387k miles.
    facts don't have slipping automatics, you know what I mean..

anyway, cool engine, but again, its a maxxed out siamesed overheated tortured .25 mile animal.
    I don't like it.
    you realize that the LS motors are all siamesed?

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
    305s however were often overlooked by those looking for a crank for their 5.7 liter motor....

there, fixed it for you.

Leave a comment:

• silver_bullet
    replied
    305s however were often overlooked by those not understanding how good of a torque curve they had for a 5 liter motor....

Leave a comment:

• Barry Donovan
    replied
    haha. caught some words in action.

For the current generation of 358ci engines, NASCAR allows 4.5-inch bore centers but restricts the maximum bore to 4.185. The extra distance between cylinders give engineers more room to circulate coolant — in other words, no need for siamese cylinders and more durability.
    people still make fun of the 305.

I am still driving one at 387k miles.
    facts don't have slipping automatics, you know what I mean..

anyway, cool engine, but again, its a maxxed out siamesed overheated tortured .25 mile animal.
    I don't like it.

Leave a comment:

• cstmwgn
    replied
    to me - the bore spacing knocks it out of the SBC category

Leave a comment:

• silver_bullet
    replied
    I agree with SBG...NO... It's akin to calling the current NHRA top fuel motors Chrysler Hemis.... No offense intended, just sayin...

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

I wonder what they built it for.... might inform why they called it a SBC.
    Rich bastiches to start bar room bragging arguments? I mean, it's got some merit for that, but how many of us down here at BangShift! level are gonna pony up 30 grand for a block and two heads that needs custom everything else? I can only imagine that mill eating 50G before it barks in anger. The Coyote, LS, and Gen whatever Hemi live at pretty insane power levels for a mountain less coin.

Steve Strope or Chip or Troy, or that crowd, and the guys they sell to seem like candidates. It's neat stuff, just not a SBC.

Basically, folks who have liquid nitrogen cooled checkbooks and need to say this about their "SBC":

Click image for larger version  Name:	spinal-Tap-11-600x336.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.9 KB ID:	1288878

The big reasons I'm voting not an SBC:

Will it fit any standard SBC crank?
    Will it use any standard SBC timing chain?
    Will it fit any standard SBC head?
    Will it fit any standard SBC Cam?
    Last edited by Beagle; February 26, 2021, 10:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    Probably a great engine - but no longer a SBC.

Dan
    I wonder what they built it for.... might inform why they called it a SBC.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Barlow
    replied
    I'd say it's close . But no .
    Last edited by Dan Barlow; February 26, 2021, 11:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DanStokes
    replied
    Probably a great engine - but no longer a SBC.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by BBR View Post
    It is, if you apply the same logic that an Alan Johnson TF Hemi is a big block Mopar. If you squint real tight you can say yes.
    7/8 Chevelle by Smokey Yunick was good too?

*says the guy who twisted some Optima rules*

Leave a comment:

• BBR
    replied
    It is, if you apply the same logic that an Alan Johnson TF Hemi is a big block Mopar. If you squint real tight you can say yes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X