Interplanetary Technology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interplanetary Technology

They've got an interactive thing up where you can scroll around and zoom in and out on the panoramic view from the Martian rover. There's a cable bundle on the rover, y'all tell me these ain't bread ties holding it all together. I believe they are.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Martian Bread Ties.jpg Views:	0 Size:	234.0 KB ID:	1288883
    A 360-degree panorama taken by the rover’s Mastcam-Z instrument will be discussed during a public video chat this Thursday.
    Last edited by pdub; February 26, 2021, 11:49 AM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Originally posted by pdub View Post
    There's a cable bundle on the rover, y'all tell me these ain't bread ties holding it all together. I believe they are.
    Ahh, nope.
    Obviously they are cable ties, but I'm pretty sure they are braided synthetic and can probably support the weight of an Abrams tank.

Comment

I'm sure Steve's right but Pdub has a point. You could make a believable Earth-bound model by using bread ties.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post

...can probably support the weight of an Abrams tank.
        ...when twisted together at the ends. I should have figured, bread ties cost less than $150,000 per linear inch so they wouldn't be considered for use on a government project.

Comment

In the aviation industry, they used to tie wire bundles with stranded synthetic cord.... that is what this appears to be
          Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Again, having major deja vu but I can't find the thread (no pun intended.) We've had a discussion years ago about nylon lacing and tying - Squirrel posted a great military reference at one point but a google query for nylon lacing will get you a general idea (or try a search for Mil-T-43435B or "Militiary wire lacing example"). The waxed nylon stuff Dad used at TI 50 years ago makes indestructible kite string. Like Patrick said, used a lot in avionics and still is acceptable as far as I know.
            Last edited by Beagle; February 26, 2021, 05:48 PM.
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Keith Turk has the technique down pat from his helicopter days and can't figure out why everybody doesn't do it that way. I'd need a lot of training and practice and tie wraps work so I'll stay lazy.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
                They've got an interactive thing up where you can scroll around and zoom in and out on the panoramic view from the Martian rover. There's a cable bundle on the rover, y'all tell me these ain't bread ties holding it all together. I believe they are.

Click image for larger version Name:	Martian Bread Ties.jpg Views:	0 Size:	234.0 KB ID:	1288883
                Maybe coulda, shoulda used zip ties but temperature extremes.
                My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                  Keith Turk has the technique down pat from his helicopter days and can't figure out why everybody doesn't do it that way.
                  When I was on the way to Little Rock for the start of the 2008 Power Tour, I stayed overnight at the Turk's. We had a dinner that couldn't be beat and when I woke up the following morning, Tonya pours me a cup of coffee and I gaze out the back window to the shop. There is Keith under the hood of my 1963 Chevy II Nova SS. "How long has he been out there?", I ask. "Oh, since about 5am", Tonya replies. So I wander out to have a looksee and he had cut out all the plastic cable ties and re-loomed the entire engine compartment with his special helicopter cord stuff. It looked fantastic !

This is a pic from delivery day, of what I got to start with ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	10af_3[1].jpg
Views:	82
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	1289016

Comment

Typical Keith. The man doesn't sleep.

Dan

Comment

I looked that stuff up.... Pretty cool, and amazingly affordable.
                      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

I'm still enjoying looking at all the pieces and parts on the rover, that's really cool. I thought for a moment to type up a totally imaginary story about why this is on there, but I'd imagine the truth is much more enlightening:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Martian Cut Wires.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	1289040

Comment

Working...
                        X