vintage dragstrip pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vintage dragstrip pics

First a shoutout to Dave for starting this awesome site. Second I wanted to share some cool history with all you members the website was started to preserve our tracks history. Saskatchewan International Raceway in Saskatchewan, Canada. Track first opened in 1966 and continues to operate. Photos were sent in by many racers (including myself) from the tracks earliest days till now. The site continues to grow and reunites many friends from years gone by. Hope the other members enjoy it as much as I do ;D

Re: vintage dragstrip pics

First off, welcome to the site.
    Secondly, thanks for posting the link. I've only gone through the first few pages, but there's some interesting stuff.

Like that one.

Comment

really cool pictures

Comment

This is where I grew up. It opened in July, 1969, Southland, Dragway, Houma, Louisiana, I was 9 years old! Dave McClelland was the track manager back then, he left in mid '71 to manage Dallas International. Candies & Hughes were my neighbors, so without a doubt, they were my childhood heros.....................

Grover Rogers driving Billy Meyer's dad's funny car vs. Candies & Hughes:

Leonard Hughes vs. Mike Burkhart:

The original Harry Schmidt "Blue Max"! Gotta love the team uniforms!

Shirl Greer's "Tension" Charger vs. Don Gay

Don Grotheer, Jim Hale, TNT Pro Stockers

Kelly and Reep Fueler:

Stevens and Venables Fueler:

Candies and Hughes vs. Sidney Foster:

Inside Candies and Hughes' shop when Prudhomme came to town!

Comment

These were real Hemi Darts, the picture was taken in 1970, they were brand new. One was owned by the track, called the Gator Raider and driven by Dennis Oncale. There were several others that I remember. Larry Cooper, TNT, Jim Hale and Clyde Robellard.

This car was always a crowd favorite, it was called Tinker Toy, and worth a Million in today's market, (if it's still in existents that is). It was a twin to Ray Allen's car and it was also owned by the track.

Don Grotheer's Hemi Cuda:

Durachrome Bug:

Sox and Martin:

Tennessee BoWeevil:

Funny Car Match Race:

George Cox's Banzai Charger:

Push Starts:

Comment

Well I really hope that you guys dig this thread, I love thinking back on these great days. My brother and I were young and going to the drags the first time really made an impression on our young minds, it sure hooked me for life. Also thanks to Dave McClelland, Larry Meaux Racing Engines and Gary Lebouf for their photo contributions included here. Here are some more to look at:

Bennie "the Wizard" Osborn:

Shreve Automotive:

Roy Rastetter:

Tarter Brothers from Houston, TX:

Super Duster from Memphis vs. Shirl Greer from Georgia:

A couple of really famous Funny Cars from the day:

Larry Gould:

Larry Brown from Oklahoma:

Radici and Wise from St. Louis:

Some Door Cars:

I used to really love this car, he was a local from Houma, back then it ran Modified Eliminator:

:This Ford Wagon of John Frith had some kind of factory supercharger on it, it was always getting indexed:

This was this kid's first ever pass in a Funny Car: :D

The Hell's Hemi, always was a crowd favorite:

Comment

When that track opened in 1969 it was one of the finest tracks built in the country, many compared it to Orange County. It drew all the big name stars and all of the old racers I talk to today still speak very highly of the place. I went back to Houma in 1983 and sadly this was all that was left, it only lasted 10 years. If you drive there today, all of the structures are gone, but the track surface is still there with cows grazing on it.

Comment

those are some fantastic pics. most of thosepeople were too far away from me to go and see. Brainerd, Minn is the closest Nationsl event or even large track near us and it is 12 hrs away. I love the vintage stuff and my Anglia will be a 60's look gasser albeit a track legal one (hafta punish it a little ;D)

Comment

Awesome pix! Those last few were haunting....

Comment

Working...
                  X