No announcement yet.

Brass into plastic threads leaking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's what it looks like to me, too, Dan.

tell us about how the fitting fits into the tank. When you thread it in all the way, with moderate torque using an end wrench, how many threads are still exposed on the brass fitting? (don't worry about applying sealer for this test)
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
      That's what it looks like to me, too, Dan.

tell us about how the fitting fits into the tank. When you thread it in all the way, with moderate torque using an end wrench, how many threads are still exposed on the brass fitting? (don't worry about applying sealer for this test)
      It screws in all the way to the block of the elbow, no threads left showing. I can do it with my hands and some decent effort, no wrench.
      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

SBG, they have a super sexy direct replacement for the radiator overflow tank but I haven't seen one yet for the intercooler coolant. Still looking.

After:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Surge Tank.jpg Views:	0 Size:	145.3 KB ID:	1289230

Before:

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010901.JPG Views:	0 Size:	123.5 KB ID:	1289231

EDIT: D'oh...that screen shot above is actually the second link you sent above. But that's where I ended up when I surfed from the first link you sent. Anyhow, I just now called Steeda. It took next to forever to try to get across what it was that I'm hoping they had, since they have a sexy replacement for the radiator overflow tank maybe they have a replacement for the cute little plastic tank in the same system. Finally....wow we went in circles...no, they have no such thing. Rats.
        Last edited by pdub; March 2, 2021, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

It screws in all the way to the block of the elbow, no threads left showing. I can do it with my hands and some decent effort, no wrench.
          Well, of course it leaks. The threads are tapered, and if the hole they fit in is large enough that they can't get tight, it will leak.

My fabulous web page

Comment

You could try the epoxy trick, while you're waiting for a new part to arrive. Make sure to get ALL of the white stuff out of the threads first, both on the fitting, and in the hole.
            My fabulous web page

Comment

Well, of course it leaks.
              Yep, it for sure does. Bigger mystery to me is why it waited 4 years and over 10,000 miles to do it.

Comment

Yep, it for sure does. Bigger mystery to me is why it waited 4 years and over 10,000 miles to do it.
                Heat cycles. It gets bigger and smaller and bigger and smaller and........

The bulkhead fitting trick still ought to work if you can get the nut in there.. BTW - if the nut can be done you can assemble the elbow into the bulkhead fitting then install the whole deal into the tank so you don't have to yank on the bulkhead-to-tank interface. Just be sure to orient the elbow where you want it before you do the final snug of the nut. I'll see if I can find a pic of a bulkhead fitting so you see what I'm talking about.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

I'll see if I can find a pic of a bulkhead fitting so you see what I'm talking about.

Dan
                  Thanks Dan, I can't at all "see" it. Maybe my seeer is broken today too.

Comment

Rats.
                    Well Nuts!

my backup suggestion was measure the tank then wring googles little search-engine neck to find yourself one... out of curiosity, what are the dimensions of that tank?
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

what are the dimensions of that tank?
                      This little bugger is 4 inches wide by 3 inches deep by 3 inches tall. That's the tank itself, not including the fittings and the cap. 3/4 inch hose fittings. I found one about that size but I wouldn't be able to mount it but it didn't matter because it was sold out:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Boost District.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	1289255

Guys, thank you all for all of your help today. I think tomorrow I'll give it a shot with Beags' gas line tape and just keep digging and thinking through what all of y'all have said.

Comment

Well, of course it leaks. The threads are tapered, and if the hole they fit in is large enough that they can't get tight, it will leak.
                        This is why I mentioned the Locktite site... their extensive variety of pipe sealants with tech advise may yield a solution for Pdubs issue...
                        Patrick & Tammy
                        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Thread sealants work when the threads are tight....that's not the case, here.
                          My fabulous web page

Comment

Here's a link:

Dan
                            WOW! I can SEE!!!!!!!!!! I can seeeeeeeeeeeeee! Thanks so much Dan. And all you were saying including the ifs and yep. A followup report will be forthcoming after a followup report on the Beags tape attempt.

Comment

The bulkhead fitting trick still ought to work if you can get the nut in there...
                              Dan
                              I've searched and located the parts needed to build that out using -12 AN aluminum. That nut will just exactly probably go through the cap hole, I may have to whack it to get it to fall in. Then, how would I hold the nut on the inside to tighten the one on the outside? Or would the big flat washers keep the whole thing from turning while I tighten the one on the outside? Y'all know that I don't know these things before I buy the parts that are about the same cost as the replacement jug that I may never get.

Comment

Working...
                              X