Brass into plastic threads leaking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    use metal to plastic 2 part epoxy. I dug around in my glue box last night but didn't find the exact stuff.... but with the threads on the fitting plus what remains of the threads in the container.... it should bond just fine.... pictures later...I wanted to do the wrench/nut bulkhead fitting but because the depth of the tank and obstructions, I couldn't.... the epoxy has been there, and in the sun, for at least a couple years... still water tight.
    If it's polypropylene it stands a lot better chance than if it's HDPE. If it is HDPE, I would be really impressed if it bonds. REALLY impressed. Then again, a lot of the plastic toolbox, saw cases, etc. that are laying around in my garage are PP and some are HDPE. It's kind of hard to tell them apart without the symbol and they both get used a lot for injection molded junk. Maybe PW gets lucky here.
    Last edited by Beagle; March 3, 2021, 09:26 AM.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Vortech says it is roto molded plastic... poor salesguy sort of blue screened when I asked what kind of plastic. I'll let you know when they get back to me.

Comment

There's nothing to lose by trying the epoxy - I think JB Weld is OK for plastic to metal (check the label) and any parts store will have it. I wouldn't worry too much about the plastic formulation as the threads are still there and all the epoxy is doing is sealing, not bonding or supporting.

As far as using the bulkhead - you would need to spot face the OD of the tank to make a flat. I have done that with success using a cut off wheel and extreme caution. You could come close with a Dremel though an understanding machinist could do a really nice job with a milling machine. First I'd try the epoxy.

Where else but BangShift could this topic eat up 4 pages??!!

Dan
        Last edited by DanStokes; March 3, 2021, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Another reason I wanted to know what it's made of is you can weld the same material in there and re-tap it... and run the tap in a little bit short so you start out with a smaller diameter of the taper.

For that matter, I was also wondering if a piece of half inch galvanized elbow would have enough taper on it to seal it up. This brass fitting has limited depth.

I would probably have already tried heating it up and tightening a bolt / washer on both sides / nut to press on it when it was hot, flatten it out if you will, and make the hole smaller or ruined it, but I'm a well known hack artist with plastics. lol.
          Last edited by Beagle; March 3, 2021, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
            Vortech says it is roto molded plastic... poor salesguy sort of blue screened when I asked what kind of plastic. I'll let you know when they get back to me.
            Wow, you guys are above and beyond the "call." ​ Meantime, remember right now we have nothing to lose...hey y'all, watch this:
            Seven rounds of Beagle Tape. Boy that felt good going in, if I was water I wouldn't go through there:

Plus As Seen on TV:

If this ain't some (insert derogatory term here) work I don't know what is. I wish it was black but white was all they had, and I'm no artist:

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010911.JPG Views:	0 Size:	98.2 KB ID:	1289351

Now wait 48 hours and we can still keep working on the list of things to try. If this doesn't leak I can at least drive around for a while, not sure I want to go racing like this though.

EDIT: Wait a minute, I forgot, why did I put that Flex Shot on there? I'm putting the thing back together and see if it leaks, we probably have more things to try after that. Film at eleven.
            Last edited by pdub; March 3, 2021, 11:04 AM.
            Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Well damn. The Beagle Tape experiment, that leaks. Which sucks. SBG said above he'd send some photos to go along with the epoxy path and if we do that and it holds can we call it "fixed?" I mean, so we do that and it's holding and then by some miracle I get a new plastic tank delivered, do I go to the effort to try to get the glued elbow out of the old tank to put it on the new tank? Well, first we gotta stop the leak. That was a fun try but it didn't work. It slowed it down a good bit. I had to encourage it to leak, drive it around and get it up to temp and then park it and look with the flashlight and I saw it drip.

Comment

Y'all ain't gonna believe this after ALL of this...I just got a message from Summit saying Vortech has shipped the new tank, it'll be here Monday. Let's keep this thread as a testament to how BSers work together. You guys are the greatest but I knew that already. Thank you ALL!!!!!

Comment

bummer it leaks...but at least it's reassuring that I could have predicted it

Yay for the new tank being shipped. Now for the fun of dealing with the current crop of shipping headaches. Although UPS seems to be doing pretty well, relatively speaking.
                  My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                    bummer it leaks...but at least it's reassuring that I could have predicted it

Yay for the new tank being shipped. Now for the fun of dealing with the current crop of shipping headaches. Although UPS seems to be doing pretty well, relatively speaking.
                    I got my HANS device today from Ireland via DHL Express. They were predicting Friday but it got here quicker. That's pricey, but very cool. I opened the box, the vendor sent the wrong one. I said Medium, the receipt says Medium, the device says Large. And I ain't large by anyone's description.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

I got my HANS device today from Ireland via DHL Express. They were predicting Friday but it got here quicker. That's pricey, but very cool. I opened the box, the vendor sent the wrong one. I said Medium, the receipt says Medium, the device says Large. And I ain't large by anyone's description.
                      Larger than me.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
                        Y'all ain't gonna believe this after ALL of this...I just got a message from Summit saying Vortech has shipped the new tank, it'll be here Monday. Let's keep this thread as a testament to how BSers work together. You guys are the greatest but I knew that already. Thank you ALL!!!!!
                        Possibly apply sealant and take care not to over tighten on the new tank....
                        Patrick & Tammy
                        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post

Possibly apply sealant and take care not to over tighten on the new tank....
                          Heck, I would JB Weld the old one and throw the new one in the trunk. Just the threat of being replaced will keep the old one from ever leaking again!

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

Heck, I would JB Weld the old one and throw the new one in the trunk. Just the threat of being replaced will keep the old one from ever leaking again!
                            Oh my goodness. Ohhhhh boy. Man oh man. Alan I'm terribly afraid that I very much like the way you think...

Edit: If I could get my hands on another elbow that I knew would match I'd do that today for sure. That much I'd dread, what the hell size and kind of threads on a 90* elbow to a 3/4 inch hose barb and it had better be exact before I attempt to screw it into the new one. This is assuming that if I JB Weld the elbow in there I'd never get it back out usable (say, at a race track) to put it in the other tank.
                            Last edited by pdub; March 4, 2021, 05:06 AM.

Comment

Ewwww look what I found, the blower installation manual. Now I know what size fittings those are (I can order a new elbow for the new one and keep playing with the old one). And look, that sure appears to be some kind of white goop they put on the fittings before they screwed them into the tank but the directions don't say to put any goop. So I don't know if I did or if I didn't put goop, I'll bet I didn't.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Reservoir Instructions.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	1289408

Comment

Patrick & Tammy
                                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Working...
                                X