No announcement yet.

Brass into plastic threads leaking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think we had already figured out the size of the fitting....

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

when I glued this in place - the maker of the cannister told me this wasn't possible.

and my first attempts seemingly proved them correct... however, my wife, the mechanical engineer, did some research and found this stuff
      It can be challenging to bond PET. As a result, Permabond developed specialty adhesives to allow bonding PET without pre-treating.

how tough? that's a brass reducer with a nipple threaded inside. Initially, I did the hose in an effort to reduce strain on the joint but when I simply threaded the valve in place - my wife indicated she preferred the flex because it made it easier to fill dog dishes.
      McMaster Carr is where I got it... even with your new container, get a new fitting then use the permabond epoxy to seal it (rather then teflon tape)....
      Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 4, 2021, 07:42 AM.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
        I think we had already figured out the size of the fitting....
        Yep, I ordered one slightly longer than the one in that link, I'm seeing about 11 1/2 threads on the one I have. I also ordered a new straight fitting for the bottom of the new tank with a barb that's longer than the one I have. I haven't been out there to see if that'll be wrong but I don't think so. Remember, I don't know what the heck I'm doing but now it's a lot more fun knowing a new tank is on the way. JB Weld is going on it when I get to wrenching today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010915.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	1289423
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

PermaBond says it will bond HDPE / LDPE / UHMW and at 35.00 for 50ml I will have to take yours and their words for it !! I'll file it away and use the words "good to know but cost prohibitive for me" instead of "not likely to bond" next time ... lol.

the last time I had to repair a plastic tank, I did it with a soldering iron. :P That is cool to know though, thanks!
          Last edited by Beagle; March 4, 2021, 10:07 AM.
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

The JB Weld makes a nice custom external O-ring when it all gets smushed out of the threads. I think I put enough, I had to clear out the inside hole from overrun after I screwed it in. I don't see how this will ever ever ever leak again (notice I never said never). I'll let this cure for two days to give it every chance to work before I put it back on. Followup report on Saturday.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010917.JPG Views:	0 Size:	73.4 KB ID:	1289451
            Last edited by pdub; March 4, 2021, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Been lurking in the weeds on this thread,
              Hope this works and the "F-up Fairy doesn't show up again."
              I did like the previous idea of a inside the tank nut and O-ring. For the mentioned, I don't think I have a wrench to reach the inside......

This the reason I buy boxes of old wrenches at yard sales. NO GUILT of cutting up, torch bending, welding, and hammer to shape a ONE TIME USE WRENCH.
              I have a drawer full of these "Shop Made Wrenches". Nothing calms the Frustration just about ready to throw hammers.....by building "The Solution" for the Problem. And Bragging Rights of This is How I Killed the Dragon !!!

Comment

modified wrenches are great...and you can also use tape or some other method to hold the nut onto the wrench, while you get the threads started. Or tape the nut to the end of a paint stick, or something.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

At times like this...I don't know how I was ever so lucky to find BangShift. Well I didn't, BS found me. I was just sitting on my thumbs minding my own business. When I think about all the things I've gotten into and done on account of it, all the great people I've met and dear friends I've made in person on account of it..just wow. Just sayin.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                    PermaBond says it will bond HDPE / LDPE / UHMW and at 35.00 for 50ml I will have to take yours and their words for it !! I'll file it away and use the words "good to know but cost prohibitive for me" instead of "not likely to bond" next time ... lol.

the last time I had to repair a plastic tank, I did it with a soldering iron. :P That is cool to know though, thanks!
                    $35 is better then $100.... especially since the $100 solution is as temporary as the last reservoir that failed.

I, quite honestly, tried everything (including melting) to get that brass fitting attach to the water tank.... that was the only way.... I even tried different epoxies before - that was the only one that worked... of course, there could be cheaper - but why would I keep picking at it when my solution worked?
                    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 4, 2021, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

$35 is better then $100.... especially since the $100 solution is as temporary as the last reservoir that failed.

I, quite honestly, tried everything (including melting) to get that brass fitting attach to the water tank.... that was the only way.... I even tried different epoxies before - that was the only one that worked... of course, there could be cheaper - but why would I keep picking at it when my solution worked?
                      Yeah, I get it... there's a place for it and I'm glad there is a product that can bond HDPE if I ever need it. For 35.00 though I would have already spent 900 or so for a tig welder to mount one of those dollar store aluminum water bottles. HA!

Comment

Yeah, I get it... there's a place for it and I'm glad there is a product that can bond HDPE if I ever need it. For 35.00 though I would have already spent 900 or so for a tig welder to mount one of those dollar store aluminum water bottles. HA!
                        $900? that's a lot?

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

$900? that's a lot?
                          seems like a lot to fix a plastic milk jug, but I'm old.

Comment

i was going to suggest permatex #2 non hardening.....

Comment

seems like a lot to fix a plastic milk jug, but I'm old.
                              you can tig plastic? whoa.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X