Hoist Fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoist Fix

My low-buck Chinese hoist has been leaking hydraulic fluid out of the cylinders for some time and it's time to fix it. After some internet searching I found a place called <carliftparts.com> and they sorted out that it's a generic Chinese hoist as Pace Tools is evidently no longer in business (at least I couldn't find them). It's the same as a Tuxedo and several other brands. What identifies it is the chain lift mechanism which shows in the following pics. Carliftparts had the seal kits and for less than $100 shpped to me I figured it was worth giving it a go myself. There's an online video that shows how to get the cylinders out and I basically followed their method.

If you drop the carriage and pull on the chains to fully compress the cylinders the chains can be set aside as seen here.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0600.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	765.9 KB ID:	1291824

Then pulled out of the way.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0601.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	752.1 KB ID:	1291825
    The hydraulic connection penetrated the hoist frame and so must be disconnected. Remove the line.....

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0602.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	758.4 KB ID:	1291826
    Then remove the fitting that goes into the cylinder body. Note the spring that goes back in.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0604.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.35 MB ID:	1291775

Being not a gorilla I brought in some hydraulic grunt to take the cylinder out

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0606.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	752.3 KB ID:	1291776
    Cylinder in the vice and here I'm screwing the top retained off.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0607.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1,008.7 KB ID:	1291777
    A look down the bore which was a happy surprise - I was expecting gouges or rust of some such - it seems OK. It's a bit mucky at the bottom of the bore but I'll clean that up tomorrow.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0608.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	720.2 KB ID:	1291778

The seal package on the ram.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0610.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	583.6 KB ID:	1291779
    And the new bits with the ram

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0611.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	938.7 KB ID:	1291780

Back on this tomorrow.

Dan
    Last edited by DanStokes; April 10, 2021, 08:12 AM.

For some reason BS didn't display some of the pics. I corrected that above.

Dan

Comment

I saw the pretty pictures
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I hate a mucky bottom...

Comment

Originally posted by dave.g.in.gansevoort View Post
          I hate a mucky bottom...
          Me too! Had enough of that when the kids were little.

Dan

Comment

Nice use of a seldom used engine hoist . I might be using mine today to put up a 55" TV in the garage today if I can't stick it on the wall by myself . About 4.5 feet of the ground .
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

And the new bits with the ram

Dan
              Bits. Big Andy has rubbed off on you some, eh?
              Last edited by pdub; April 10, 2021, 02:59 PM.
              Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Mom was born in Canada of British parents. "Bits" has always been part of my vocabulary.

Dan

Comment

Today's progress: No pics yet but I got the first ram together and back in the hole but I'm having trouble getting the little nipple on the bottom of the ram into the hole in the base of the hoist frame. The plan tomorrow is to pull the ram back out and grind a starting taper on the nipple. Pics, etc. to come tomorrow.

Dan B - I use that sucker all the time! I even drug it out to the street and pulled the old concrete plug out of the ground when I replaced the mailbox and post. Engine Hoist GOOD!!!!

Dan
                  Last edited by DanStokes; April 10, 2021, 07:46 PM.

Comment

cut up aluminum cans make good shims / ring compressors in a pinch?
                    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                      cut up aluminum cans make good shims / ring compressors in a pinch?
                      Yes - but that's not the issue. The hoist cylinder has about a 1" X 3/8" (that's an eyeball measurement) nipple that's machined proud of the bottom of the cylinder. It's supposed to engage with a hole in the bottom of the hoist frame and I'm having "issues" with getting it to drop in. It came out with a POP so I'm thinking it's a pretty tight fit. A taper around the circumference of the nipple will give it a guide to start it into the hole.

Dan

Comment

And FINALLY down to the nitty gritty.....

Here's a shot of the ram as removed. Note the steel spacer above the piston - DON'T forget to put that back in before reassembling the cylinder. Once again I rarely make the same mistake twice but I make ALL of them the first time! Had to pull the first cylinder back out, pull it apart, put the spacer back in, the reverse the process. Oh, well...... I think the spacer limits the ram travel.

Here's a shot of the piston once the seals are off and it's cleaned. The rust probably isn't important as the piston just holds the seals but I cleaned it off anyway.

I'm not sure why but there's an O-ring under the piston - maybe to assure that no oil gets past the piston and into the cylinder? Anyhow, the O-ring comes in the kit so I suppose it's a good thing to change it.

The top nut (I guess you would call it) has a dust seal to keep junk out of the cylinder. From China that was a cork seal kind of thing that had badly deteriorated. The only way I could find to get it out was to dig it out in chunks with a small screwdriver (Dave - I used a tweeker). The seal kit had this nice neoprene (?) seal which you can collapse and squish in there. This gives a MUCH better seal than the original seal though I had to drive the top nut back onto the shaft though it slid easily once in place.

Rust on the ram shaft. Again, this is not a sealing surface but is an indication that these cylinders saw moisture at some time, maybe on the boat on the way over. I cleaned this off easily with 400 sandpaper.

The top nut AND the spacer back in place! I took this pic mostly to assure myself that I DID get the spacer back in.

The piston ready for reinstallation. Note the ol' hose clamp trick. Both the top nut and the piston have a plastic sort of piston ring sort of thing that, as far as I can tell, guides the piston so it doesn't scrape in the bore. These are not in the rebuild kit so you have to reuse them and mine were in good shape.

Putting the ram back in. Fortunately, gravity still works. I tried putting the first one in horizontally but that really didn't go well so this proved to be the winner.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0630.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	992.2 KB
ID:	1292137

Then it was slide it back in, hook up the hydraulics, and Bob's yer Uncle! It seems to work w/no leaks though I have yet to hoist a car up on it.
                        Last edited by DanStokes; April 14, 2021, 08:41 AM.

Comment

My Uncle Bob was the greatest guy.
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                          X