Ample hp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ample hp

A comment on a C3 Facebook page starts this.... the person claimed that 195 hp (read, 1974 Corvette 350) is ample.

What say you?
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Well, if you consider that not all wannabe car guys can actually appreciate "good power", it might be enough to style around town with your pearly whites and jewelry on full display.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	quote-if-you-can-leave-two-black-stripes-from-the-exit-of-one-corner-to-the-braking-zone-of-mark-donohue-61-67-71.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	1293783
      Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

195 hp is acceptable at 1000 RPM I guess.

/edit - You guys pick on my cam choices but damn, I'm wondering how bad everything has to be to make 195 hp out of a 350. The totally mild 305 out of my family boat made 230.

/more edit - Ah, wait, the L48? I can't see rebuilding one to those specs. Fog it, put it in a plastic bag in storage. Getting run over by a Camry should be too much for even the least self respecting gold chainer!
        Last edited by Beagle; May 10, 2021, 11:05 AM.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

195 hp would certainly be "ample" on a bench grinder or even perhaps a wheel driven La-Z-Boy recliner. It depends upon the application.
          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
            A comment on a C3 Facebook page starts this.... the person claimed that 195 hp (read, 1974 Corvette 350) is ample.

What say you?
            A close friend purchased a Z06 recently and when I said "Nice" he asked me,(And I quote), "Do you know the difference between a Corvette and a porcupine?" The Corvette guys know the answer to this one... I'll just leave this here...
            Patrick & Tammy

Comment

head the same joke about a bus full of lawyers and BMW owners.

I just can't imagine a 16 second quarter mile to be "Ample"... then again, when I think "Ample" ... current model stock 4x4 Suburban tug boats would show you tail lights.
              Last edited by Beagle; May 10, 2021, 12:42 PM.
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

After driving some really under-powered old cars around, yeah, I can see how 195 hp could be ample, in those cars. But not a Vette....they need all the power they can get, and then some. If you can't end up in a tree by driving slightly carelessly, you need more power

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I would say , if it had a 4 speed manual, it could be ample . My daughter had a 75 with the lowest hp a 350 ever had . 165 and it was teamed with the most power robbing trans of the time since it was the most heavy duty . The turbo 400 . She would definitely tell you that wasn't enough . My 92 has 300 hp with a manual 6 speed and rear gears in the 3.23 to 3.42 range and I can say it's ample . Maybe with 50 more and it would be plenty . Before I get called a girl , I still subscribe that too much is perfect .
                  Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

P. S. She sold it and doubled her money , put 2000 with it and bought a nicer 74 with a modded 350 with a 4 speed . It has something in the 300 to 350 range and is tickled with it .
                    Last edited by Dan Barlow; May 10, 2021, 04:09 PM.
                    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post

Name:	quote-if-you-can-leave-two-black-stripes-from-the-exit-of-one-corner-to-the-braking-zone-of-mark-donohue-61-67-71.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	1293783
                      Wheelspin at 238mph = "ample"!

Name:	DSC_9657.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	827.6 KB
ID:	1293805

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                        After driving some really under-powered old cars around, yeah, I can see how 195 hp could be ample, in those cars. But not a Vette....they need all the power they can get, and then some. If you can't end up in a tree by driving slightly carelessly, you need more power
                        Definitely need at least another 100bhp in mine, to break 200.....!

Name:	Picture1.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	1293817

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                          head the same joke about a bus full of lawyers and BMW owners.

I just can't imagine a 16 second quarter mile to be "Ample"... then again, when I think "Ample" ... current model stock 4x4 Suburban tug boats would show you tail lights.
                          I KNEW you would get it!
                          Patrick & Tammy

Comment

I believe most of the ladies in the 'Ladies Posing With Cars' thread easily define 'ample'..........
                            Last edited by oletrux4evr; May 10, 2021, 06:15 PM.
                            Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                            HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
                              195 hp would certainly be "ample" on a bench grinder or even perhaps a wheel driven La-Z-Boy recliner. It depends upon the application.
                              this is closest to my comment.... I said "195 is ample for a motorcycle"...
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                              X