No announcement yet.

The road to Daytona 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We made it all the way home! I don't know how many sloppy shifts that shifter has left in it, hanging by a thread, but it had just enough to get here. I ordered the bushings for it yesterday. We'll see how long it is until I feel compelled to remove those bolts I put LocTite on.

I'll put up a coupla videos of Red's romp on the track later. I didn't even take any photos worth sharing, we were only there about 15 minutes it seemed. Well, there's one. I was thinking about SBG on his own trip while we were waiting to get into the track on Friday for tech.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020031.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	1294993
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

well fiddlesticks.... sorry man
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
        well fiddlesticks.... sorry man
        Well, thanks but I'm not "sorry" about it. We met up with some lifelong friends of ours we hadn't seen in probably 15 years or more. They live in Melbourne and joined us for supper Friday and at the track on Saturday morning. It was all a rich experience. They had never been to a track before and they loved telling the man at the gate that they were "on the crew."

Now that we're home safe it gives us something to talk about from now on. I talked with a guy Tony from up north who was garaging next to us. After the first (my only) run he was asking me for advice since I had run Daytona before. He was driving a Hellcat and asked me when he should start braking when leaving the big track and diving into the road course portion. Imagine that, somebody asking me for track advice. Anyhow, I told him during that conversation, "If I had to quit right now I'm satisfied. I've been out on the track again." I guess I shouldn't have said that. That was before I had seen the oil under Red's rear end and I DID have to quit. Oh well, all smiles.

Anyhow, at the all drivers' meeting Jim the event director made the event speech. As a part of it he said, "If you blow the Bus Stop, and somebody WILL blow the Bus Stop...don't just go blowing through there and keep going. You stop, full stop, and we are watching you. Wait for a big gap in traffic and then go again." I took that to heart and I got that out of the way on the very first hot lap as you'll see. Here's how you run out a half a tank of gas in a Mustang in 15 minutes if you care to watch it for that long, I can't imagine who would.

Last edited by pdub; June 1, 2021, 02:13 AM.

Comment

To round out the Daytona trip media package, here's another exciting 9 seconds of video.

Comment

Sure did look like fun . Wish it had of gone better for you but at least you drove home a running car with no dents .
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

What, no corvette spinning off course? What’s the world coming to!?
              Patrick & Tammy
              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                What, no corvette spinning off course? What’s the world coming to!?
                I ain't sayin' nothin' after I blew the Bus Stop on the first lap and then very nearly went straight off at the entrance to the International Horseshoe later on in the same one run. I can hear the imaginary announcers, "Joe, it's looking like the 06 car is having some navigational difficulties out there. Let's forward him a map of the road course....wait, he doesn't have a smart phone to view it on."

Here's one more I nearly forgot to post. 6 more seconds of thrills. My friend got up on the wall and poked his cell phone lens through an opening in the fence grid. That's Red at the tail end of the pack going by at a blinding rate of speed at the exit of NASCAR turn 4, making a gutsy fearless pass on the outside out by the wall just about in the vague general vicinity of where Dale Earnhardt hit it. Just plain awesome camera work on the part of Red's extended pit crew.

Comment

Focus on the wall, they said. Got it, he replied.

Comment

Well guess what? Red's rear axle has a vent cap with a rattle cap on it on the passenger side. I had no idea. You have to jack the car up and support it from the body so the rear end sags before you can even see it. He got high speed race track hot and puked until he was happy and then that was it. They make a number of simple and cheap solutions for this. The other time we were at Daytona it was cold, like 40 degrees in Daytona that morning. I'll bet that's why he didn't do it that time.

Name:	Vent Cap.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	1295045

Comment

simply relocated that vent to a point on the body above the axle. Cheap fix.... hate fixing, but like it when it's cheap.

Comment

Replace the rattle cap with a hose barb and add the rattle cap back on .. zip tie it up high.
                        oil goes up the hose and back down.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                          Replace the rattle cap with a hose barb and add the rattle cap back on .. zip tie it up high.
                          oil goes up the hose and back down.
                          This appears to be one of the more popular bought solutions, a turkey baster looking thing. I believe it'll clear everything above it when the suspension is mashed down, I'll have to go back out and look at it again with that in mind.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Turkey Baster.jpg Views:	0 Size:	34.1 KB ID:	1295053

BUT if I'm not going road racing again I think I don't have to do anything at all except top off the diff with gear oil to replace what he spit out. Right? Or not...
                          Last edited by pdub; June 1, 2021, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Just a length of hose. No bulb.
                            gives oil somewhere to go. Doubtful it can travel past a foot plus of hose.
                            we loop the hose and zip-tie it up. Leaving lots of slack.
                            but if you do not plan to do it again, stock oughta keep you happy

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                              Just a length of hose. No bulb.
                              gives oil somewhere to go. Doubtful it can travel past a foot plus of hose.
                              we loop the hose and zip-tie it up. Leaving lots of slack.
                              but if you do not plan to do it again, stock oughta keep you happy
                              I've slept once and I like that hose DB. I can put that on and have it if I should ever get the Daytona Jones going on in some years.

I've searched through some Mustang forums and it's a very very common Daytona-ish problem. Some of the model variants have the vent on the driver side of the axle and I saw a photo of the bulb all squished down against the over-axle exhaust pipe after the car was set down on the suspension. My Florida friend sent me a link to a video where LMR is selling a hard expansion tank on the end of a hose and you mount the expansion tank up there somewhere out of the way. Word has it that the NASCAR guys all run a diff cooler with a tiny radiator and an electric fan and electric pump to make the juice go through it.

A hose. Yeah. You and SBG have got it going.

Comment

All of that anxiety about that shifter bolt I put red Loctite on...I got under there looking and that's gonna be an awful place to take heat to. All I have is one of those hardware store butane bottles with the flame tip on it and that bolt is back up there in the tunnel, it was looking like daunting. Maybe I could borrow SM's real torch rig and even then it would be cumbersome to be underneath the car with the thing and having to angle it in such a way as to....

While I was at it I figured I might as well put a wrench on the bolt, just for giggles. It came out, no resistance at all. WOW. I know good and well I put red on it, I'm not quite that senile yet. I even still have the tube so I looked. This is what I put on the bolt and it never came loose by itself but it for sure unscrewed like a brand new one all those years later. Yippee am I ever glad about it.

Name:	P1020046.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	1295083

Comment

Working...
                                X